Jobst ever say why he didn't wear helmet?

lum gim fong

Oct 5, 2017, 12:06:52 PM10/5/17
to RBW Owners Bunch

Please let's not discuss helmet use.
I'm Just looking for Jobst quotes.

Just wanted to know if he ever discussed this publicly.

I cannot find any comments by him about it online.
Anyone here read anything he said on this?

Thanks for any links.

Let's leave this at just links. Thanks.

Irreguleur

Oct 5, 2017, 12:15:00 PM10/5/17
to RBW Owners Bunch

Deacon Patrick

Oct 5, 2017, 12:30:05 PM10/5/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Finding Jobst quotes on helmets is hard. One must access a search engine and type in both Jobst and helmet. Here's the money quote:

“I avoid helmet discussions because they are a religious belief. There are no realistic tests and all the people I know who crashed with one received severe head injuries as bad as if they had no helmet— usually skull fractures in the face. In contrast, I and my fellow riders have crashed often and not gotten head injuries other than a scrape that drew a bit of blood.

As I pointed out, Muhammad Ali's glove has far more cushioning than a bicycle helmet, yet it was possible with a mass far less than a human skull for him to deliver knockout punches, protection against which the bicycle helmet is touted.”

With abandon,
Patrick

Brewster Fong

Oct 5, 2017, 12:38:24 PM10/5/17
to RBW Owners Bunch

Although I didn't see anything from Jobst about helmets, there are two big sources for his quotes/responses to mainly questions in rec.bicycles.tech (which I believe is still around!)

The first is Sheldon Brown's Bicycle FAQ by Jobst:
 http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/index.html

The second is the one cited in the FAQ, Norman Yarvin's yarchive.net:

http://yarchive.net/bike/index.html

The second is broken down by topic and cites who the author is like Jobst.

Good Luck!

Ron Mc

Oct 5, 2017, 2:45:17 PM10/5/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
maybe he never fell down - I haven't been that lucky

Steve Palincsar

Oct 5, 2017, 3:08:08 PM10/5/17
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
In fact, in the end didn't he crash and suffer brain damage from which
he never recovered?

--
Steve Palincsar
Alexandria, Virginia

Ron Mc

Oct 5, 2017, 3:11:31 PM10/5/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I crashed and without brain damage (only because of the helmet), though some may say I never recovered.
Message has been deleted

Garth

Oct 5, 2017, 3:20:34 PM10/5/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I doubly agree with this, please, let us not discuss helmets or their use.

lum gim fong

Oct 5, 2017, 4:08:32 PM10/5/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
 Right, I am just looking for links, as stated in the OP.

But moderator can remove the thread  now if he likes, since I got an answer already.

Kyle Brooks

Oct 5, 2017, 6:50:53 PM10/5/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
As I recall, Jobst did crash, but the brain damage he suffered had nothing to do with the crash itself, but some kind of complication that happened after he got to the hospital.

Kyle Brooks
Akron, OH, USA

Eamon Nordquist

Oct 6, 2017, 12:37:21 AM10/6/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
It was my understanding that he had a bad leg brake from the crash, and then subsequently suffered a stroke at some point afterward.

drew

Oct 6, 2017, 8:46:26 PM10/6/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Look at us behaving ourselves and not losing our minds because the word "helmet" was said. I don't want to jinx it, but I think we may be maturing.

Don Compton

Oct 6, 2017, 9:25:15 PM10/6/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Not wearing a helmet while cycling is right up there with the argument regarding not wearing a seatbelt in a car. What if I can't get out of the car? I have seen rider's heads bounce off pavement with a helmet. They ended up with a concussion, but can you imagine the result if they weren't wearing a helmet? NO BRAINER

Steve Palincsar

Oct 6, 2017, 9:46:37 PM10/6/17