How does Compass tire compare with Pari Moto?

Ash A

Jun 15, 2017, 2:34:58 PM6/15/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I used 650Bx42 Pari Moto for about 100 miles or so.  Then switched to Schwalbe Almotions 650bx2.00.  They are much quieter compared to Pari Moto.  I like the ride as well overall.  They feel more supple and seem bullet proof (that also means they are quite heavy).

I've been reading a lot of good things about Compass tires.  Do they ride similar to Pari Moto?  Are they noisy?

Deacon Patrick

Jun 15, 2017, 3:02:03 PM6/15/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I find my Compass tires very quiet. However, I can't compare to Almotions or Pari Moto as I've never ridden those. I suspect if you try Compass tires you will experience a recalibration of what supple is. I did. Grin.

With abandon,
Patrick

Steve Palincsar

Jun 15, 2017, 3:07:01 PM6/15/17
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

The Pari Motos I've ridden are the 1st gen.  Very, very thin tread - an "event tire" in every sense of the word.   They wore out in < 1500 miles.  The Compass tires are normal tread depth and last far longer.

-

Jay Connolly

Jun 15, 2017, 4:03:10 PM6/15/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have a set of Almotion 700 x 50s. They are good tires and I intended to tour with them, but if you're sensitive to ride quality, then there's no comparison. The Compass tires soak up road imperfections in a way that the Almotions cannot. Some people care about this, but others simply don't feel it or care about it in the same way. I'm tall and heavy and I notice it, so the extra cost and the greater potential for damage to the tire is worth it to me.

Jay

olof...@gmail.com

Jun 15, 2017, 4:11:02 PM6/15/17
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

This Tuesday I took off my 38mm Pari Motos, the rear tire was gone after about 1500 km. Installed Loup Loup Pass (standard) instead. So far I have ridden about 75 km on the new ones, almost all on gravel trails, but good gravel trails. Couldn´t feel any difference, both are extremely nice to ride. As Steve said, the thread on the Compass´s are thicker and will hopefully last longer. Likewise the side of the PariMotos seemed to me to be ohsoslightly thinner. Like Extra Light Loup Loups?

The PariMotos are somewhat cheaper to buy, but it could well be that the price per km is not cheaper. The have also been a little too prone to flatting (glass sheards).

Olof Stroh

Uppsala Sweden

Ash A

Jun 15, 2017, 5:16:02 PM6/15/17
to RBW Owners Bunch

Thanks for sharing your experience folks!

@Jay: ride quality is definitely important to me.  I seek a comfortable ride when I'm on Appaloosa.  Part of the reason why I don't feel like riding the road bike all the time.  So definitely want to consider a compass.

Does anybody have experience riding both WTB Horizon and Compass?  Are they similar as well?

Ash A

Jun 15, 2017, 5:18:19 PM6/15/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thank you Olof.

Since they both are made by Panaracer and look similar, I suspected that they might ride similarly.  Seems to be the case. Did you experience any tire noise with either Pari Moto or Loup Loup Pass?

Deacon Patrick

Jun 15, 2017, 5:24:14 PM6/15/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Ash, while I haven't compared the tires you're asking about, my own journey had me balking at trying Compass at first too and I tried to find a less expensive supple tire. Mirage. Doesn't exist, because Compass is in a class all by itself in what they provide. There simply isn't a parallel tire. For anyone who feels the difference, it's Compass or tubular.

From Compass' site: "The standard casing is already quite light and supple, but for the Extralight, we worked with Panaracer to push the envelope further. These tires use a casing material that is also used on high-end tubular tires, and not usually available for clinchers."

With abandon,
Patrick

Orc

Jun 15, 2017, 5:39:29 PM6/15/17
to RBW Owners Bunch

On Thursday, June 15, 2017 at 2:24:14 PM UTC-7, Deacon Patrick wrote:
 For anyone who feels the difference, it's Compass or tubular.

You should write ad copy for Compass; you pack a lot of convincing praise into a short paragraph without sounding like the Acme Blurb-o-matic.

(disclaimer:  I disagree with your claim, having ridden (good) tubulars and abandoning them in favor of the Resist Nomad 28, which is the platonic ideal of a clincher tire.  But even though you're Wrong(tm), you're eloquently so.)

-david parsons

Philip Kim

Jun 15, 2017, 6:05:47 PM6/15/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Horizons are tougher. Somewhere between compass and paselas. Also run a bit smaller than the 47 on Pacenti brevrt rims

Deacon Patrick

Jun 15, 2017, 6:29:47 PM6/15/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks, I think, Orc! (Beware orcses bearing giftses? Yessss-ssss. Grin.)

Your point is well taken, that I do not have experience with a breadth of tires and so may well have exceeded accuracy with my enthusiasm. Thank you for pointing that out.

With abandon,
Patrick

olof...@gmail.com

Jun 16, 2017, 1:53:41 AM6/16/17
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

There is a very slight buzz with both tires and on my first ride with the new ones it seemed that the buzz was slightly higher, but I experienced the same on the new 42 mm PariMotos I installed on my „errand mule“ and attribute it to virgin rubber. Afte two seconds I forgot it.

Olof

olof...@gmail.com

Jun 16, 2017, 1:54:30 AM6/16/17
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

On asphalt that is.

Olof

Jun 16, 2017, 12:32:57 PM6/16/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Ash, unless you want to make changing tires a habit and like it, and unless you have some compelling reason beyond "comparitis", just keep riding what you have.

To me good riding is forgetting altogether about the bike, about yourself even, about all those things that seemed so important but are not.

I remember all the touring I did in the early 80's on the Trek I had at the time. It had 28mm Specialzed Touring Turbo tires. I don't recall ever flatting as I look back, and I never recall wishing for other tires, but I do recall all the fun I had just being there, whereever that happened to be. I looked up those tires for some "specs" and found them in a 1984 Palo Alto catalog which I used to shop from , seems these nice folding tires weighed a whopping 250 grams. Huh, how about that.

Having since gitten sucked in to the "wider is better" wave, I say wider tires are just wider, not better or worse. I like the ride of narrow tires on road-ish bikes, like 25-32mm, give or take. A wider tire will never feel the same as narrower and vice versa. Just different ways . I have seen many waves in the cycling biz, some stay some do not. All in all more choices is alright as long as what you prefer is still available and not forgotten just for sake of the wave of something "new".

Ash A

Jun 16, 2017, 4:56:25 PM6/16/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Garth,

Your periodic reminders to just keep riding is indeed useful!

I'm born with an itch to constantly experiment with things.  Sometimes this habit  can go out of control, so hearing some words of wisdom definitely helps :)  Thanks.

Eric Floden

Jun 16, 2017, 5:11:46 PM6/16/17
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Indeed...just thinking along those lines

EricF
Vancouver

Cameron Sharp

Jun 19, 2017, 10:33:38 AM6/19/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'll add my voice to the chorus: I was hesitant about BSPs, since I ride on crappy Brooklyn streets, but I purchased them anyway. I've ridden nearly everyday for coming up on a year and I've had one flat from a large piece of glass in the rain. I love the way they look, feel, sound, taste, smell -- I'm just a big fan over all. (Mine are standard casing, tan wall.)

Ash A

Jun 19, 2017, 12:36:58 PM6/19/17
to RBW Owners Bunch

Trying a pair of compasses at some point seems inevitable for me!

Dave Johnston

Jun 19, 2017, 6:17:33 PM6/19/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I can't tell the difference between Pari-Moto and compass while riding. In the same width they feel about the same to me. I like the Pari-moto because they are cheap to buy and I'm not a high mileage rider so 1500mi lasts long enough that something else interesting comes out. Like I want the 38mm pari motos to wear out soon so I can install the 42's I got on firesale.

I am currently running:
Pari-moto 38mm
Compass UL 26x44 (actual about 41mm)
Compass UL 650b x 42 (actual about 41mm)
Girlfriend has Pari-Moto 42 (actual about 40-41mm)
Hetre 650b x 42 (actual about 42mm)