Thunder Burts are go!

Tim Gavin

Aug 22, 2016, 10:05:07 PM8/22/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I just finished a rambling, multi-surface ride on my '88 Schwinn KOM, shod with 559 x 54 (26" x 2.1") Schwalbe Thunder Burt tires (Evo/Liteskin casing).

In my experience, the TBs are a high-performance, do-almost-anything tire. They don't feel any more sluggish on the road than Schwalbe Super Motos; perhaps the TBs' lighter weight counter-acts the resistance from their knobbier tread. However, the TBs are way more competent than the Motos on dirt, loose gravel, and wet grass.

My route this evening included crushed lime multi-use/nature paths, with plenty of erosion and soft patches to keep me on my toes. I even did a couple miles of dry single track, and the TBs had excellent grip.

I also want to show off the Ruthworks frame bag I bought from listmember Bill Lindsay. The bag fits like it was custom-made for my frame--because it was! My 22"ST/24"HT '88 Schwinn KOM is the same frame as the '87 Paramountain he had the bag made for.

I'm preparing to convert my KOM back to upright bars (Jones Cut H bars), so I made sure to take a couple nice pictures of the current build.

image1.JPG
image2.JPG
image3.JPG

Alex Wirth- Owner, Yellow Haus Bicycles

Aug 23, 2016, 11:39:38 AM8/23/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thunder Burt!!!  I bought a set of these as an alternative to the Maxxis Ardents that I have currently.  The Ardents seem to be overkill 98% of the time for my riding...can't wait to mount the Burt.