Saddlebag Support Suggestions.

David Banzer

May 11, 2015, 1:49:23 PM5/11/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I'd like to run a larger saddlebag on my Redwood for longer rides/short tours/commuting/grocery runs. There are upper rack mounts that I could utilize. Not really looking to put on a full rear rack, just something to support a Carradice Camper sized bag. I had a Hupe at one point on another bike, would consider it as a last resort.
Any suggestions?
David
Chicago

Tim Gavin

May 11, 2015, 1:54:45 PM5/11/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Nitto M1 or M18 front racks can be mounted behind the seat post.  The Nitto R10 is a half-rack for this specific purpose.

The Carradice Bagman and Bagman 2 are also made for this specific purpose.

Tim

Allingham II, Thomas J

May 11, 2015, 2:06:07 PM5/11/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Mark's Rack works great.

Mounted on my Hilsen without bag here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/37542512@N04/17524279872/in/dateposted-public/

With Medium Saddlesack mounted, from below to show how bag is secured: https://www.flickr.com/photos/37542512@N04/17338731318/in/dateposted-public/

And with bag mounted, showing how it sits: https://www.flickr.com/photos/37542512@N04/17193026809/in/dateposted-public/

I don't strap my Saddlesack to the rack, just slip the sleeve over the tombstone and use the saddle straps. (I also strap it to the seatpost, but that's really unnecessary.) Quite sturdy, very little sway.

This email (and any attachments thereto) is intended only for use by the addressee(s) named herein and may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this email (and any attachments thereto) is strictly prohibited. If you receive this email in error please immediately notify me at (212) 735-3000 and permanently delete the original email (and any copy of any email) and any printout thereof.

Further information about the firm, a list of the Partners and their professional qualifications will be provided upon request.

David Banzer

May 11, 2015, 3:45:32 PM5/11/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I'd be pushing the recommended max weight of a Bagman - anyone have experience with heavier loads on a Bagman support?
That would be the easiest.
Should add that I'd like to be able to easily get the support on/off, so p-clamps are out. Frame has typical braze-ons for a rear rack, but no extras to accommodate the Marks Rack.
David
Chicago

Jeff Lesperance

May 11, 2015, 5:42:08 PM5/11/15
On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 3:45 PM, David Banzer <daba...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'd be pushing the recommended max weight of a Bagman - anyone have experience with heavier loads on a Bagman support?
That would be the easiest.
Should add that I'd like to be able to easily get the support on/off, so p-clamps are out. Frame has typical braze-ons for a rear rack, but no extras to accommodate the Marks Rack.

I recently picked up a Bagman with quick-release feature for my Carradice Camper LF, and have also been a bit concerned with pushing the max weight capacity (10kg). I've considered trying to add struts similar to those that were included with the Bagman 2, which I believe is discontinued, but still pictured/available in the smaller Sport size here:

I'm not sure if that model was never made in the "Expedition" size for the larger bags, but I can't find anything on it. I was thinking of seeing if I could re-purpose some other rack struts or fabricate my own to provide similar additional support. It looks like that Bagman 2, with the extra struts, had the same max weight capacity of 10kg, so I'd have to test any such solution to see how stable it feels.

I suppose the question is what exactly are you trying to accomplish in supporting a large bag? Are you trying to offset the bag from your saddle, make it easier to attach/remove from your bike, or keep it from rubbing the rear tire/brakes/fender, or a combination of the three?

-Jeff
Silver Spring, MD

Deacon Patrick

May 11, 2015, 5:49:47 PM5/11/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
When I considered this concept of max bag on minimum support I eventually discarded it for one simple reason: a support failure would likely end a ride and I'd be stuck unless I abandoned the bag. For me, it's far better to get the right support for the job and ride with security. For me, that is far simpler than likely false simplicity of a lesser support.

With abandon,
Patrick

David Banzer

May 11, 2015, 6:05:19 PM5/11/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I'd like the potential bag (not made yet, once I figure out a support then I'll make one as needed) to be pushed back to avoid rubbing backs of legs and more importantly, to limit sway and support the bag's weight. I've had a medium Saddlesack before with a support and pushed its limits with farmers market runs. Based on that, I'd like something that I can firmly attach the bottom/back of the bag to.
I'm a front loader as my first choice, so whatever is behind/under me (and out of my sight while riding) I'd like to be as secure as possible.
David
Chicago

David Banzer

May 11, 2015, 6:06:16 PM5/11/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Should read - I've had a medium Saddlesack before with NO support...

Kellie

May 11, 2015, 9:45:27 PM5/11/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I use a Pletcher rack for by Carradice Nelson long flap.

Mark Reimer

May 12, 2015, 10:31:42 AM5/12/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

I have a Carradice Camper longflap. I also HAD a bagman expedition support, the one with the struts that is supposed to be much stronger. Well, I snapped it in half after my first off road, three-day tour. It wasn't even that heavy, I thought. I replaced it with a Nitto Mark's Rack, which is WAY sturdier. I could probably sit on that thing and it'd be fine. The bagman racks are nonsense IMO. The ones without the struts are certainly pretty, but all that weight being applied to the saddle rails is simply not a great idea. With a large saddle bag, it's just too easy to overload it.

I'd say pickup a small Nitto rack. The Mark's Rack is ideal since it will work on any bike, and can also be made to work on the front if you wanted a small handlebar bag support. Sometimes I throw it on the front of my Surly Steamroller to support a Wald basket, other times it's on the back of my Atlantis for the Carradice. Wonderful little support. You can see the comparison in the photos here.

Lungimsam

May 12, 2015, 10:48:37 AM5/12/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
In the interest of safety, note that a Mark's rack is weight restricted to 4.5 lbs., I think, according to the RBW site's description of it. And the RBW site gives very strong warnings about not overloading the racks they sell. Read here:
http://www.rivbike.com/Racks-s/114.htm

Mark Reimer

May 12, 2015, 10:53:42 AM5/12/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
In layman's terms, 4.5 lbs is a six pack of beer. I've definitely put more weight than that on my Mark's Rack though. Sometimes six just isn't enough.

On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 9:48 AM, Lungimsam <john1...@gmail.com> wrote:
In the interest of safety, note that a Mark's rack is weight restricted to 4.5 lbs., I think, according to the RBW site's description of it. And the RBW site gives very strong warnings about not overloading the racks they sell. Read here:
http://www.rivbike.com/Racks-s/114.htm

David Banzer

May 12, 2015, 1:54:13 PM5/12/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Shoot! Just ordered a Bagman Expedition as I had credit with Ben's Cycle and a $20 off coupon. I'll give it a shot with commuting loads and see.
The problem I'm seeing with the Marks rack is that my frame is 65cm with the saddle up a bit, so I'm not sure that I can get it mounted high enough to support the bag.
i might have to forego a support and just deal with bag sway and leg rub. Not the end of the world.
David
Chicago

Tim Gavin

May 12, 2015, 3:14:28 PM5/12/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Leg rub can be minimized by adding a "standoff" to the strap around the seat post.  Acorn uses a leather cuff; a piece of stiff rubber hose or PVC works as well.

Avery Wilson

May 12, 2015, 9:09:28 PM5/12/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Another vote for the "standoff" here. I've got the large Acorn saddlebag (looks like a copy of carradice nelson) that comes with the leather cuff standoff, and it's just great!

Jay in Tel Aviv

May 13, 2015, 5:10:53 AM5/13/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I commute with a Carradice Super C. For years I used the following setup without any major issues:
1. The q/r mechanism of the bagman and an axiom journey rack on my main commuting bike, a Sam Hillborne
2. A bagman expedition q/r on the Brompton I use for backup

The maximum weight is 6 kg vs 10 for the bagman, but I bought one anyway and have been using it successfully for a few months now.
Commuting loads, not groceries.

Jay

Jay in Tel Aviv

May 13, 2015, 5:14:13 AM5/13/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
BTW It is usually much less expensive to purchase Carridice bags and racks from UK websites. Any UK products really, Shipping is often quite low or free, and you are expempt from the 21% UK VAT. I use SJS a lot.

Dave Johnston

May 13, 2015, 9:12:05 AM5/13/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I think at some point it makes a lot more sense to just put on a light rear rack like the Tubus Fly (341g) or Vega. When not being used I think it looks alot better than an empty bagman or Marks rack. Allows some panniers as needed for grocery runs.

Now having said that I like to keep a couple bikes rack free, and will throw on an unsupported carradice during the winter, mainly in order to carry fairly light stuff like extra layers.

Once set up the racks can come on and off pretty fast, although I never seem to do that. I just choose a different bike.

-Dave

Ginz

May 13, 2015, 9:52:31 AM5/13/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
This is what I did.  I run a Tubus Airy (an expensive Titanium Fly) as a saddlebag support and it also carries small panniers when needed.    I ride very small frames so I didn't really have room for the traditional saddlebag support.

George Schick

May 13, 2015, 11:47:26 AM5/13/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I agree that the Mark's mini is ideal for a bag support.  I use it with a Barley, which I'll admit is a smaller bag (though I've had it loaded up with heavy items, like a 3L box of wine).  I didn't care for the way the bag flopped over the sides, though, so I made this platform from a scrap piece of 1/4" plywood to spread the load.  Sanded and beveled the edges, then varnished it for weather protection.  I used countersunk bolts with nylon spacers between the bottom of the plywood and the holes in the rack and finished with self-locking nuts.  Can't see any reason why the same method wouldn't work with a larger bag.
DSCN0862.JPG
DSCN0863.JPG
DSCN0861.JPG

David Banzer

May 13, 2015, 4:32:26 PM5/13/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Bagman Expedition arrived today. I have a bag that'll work with it. Will give it a try with a moderate load and see.
Other question: how much weight would be advisable on typical saddle loops (Brooks and SA specifically) and seatpost w/standoff?
David
Chicago

Avery E Wilson

May 13, 2015, 4:49:34 PM5/13/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

I imagine a good stout seat post and steel-railed leather saddle is good for riders at least 275lbs? So, the whole system should be good for a 200lb rider plus some bag weight.. I can't imagine the loops bending with even 50lbs on them.

Disclaimer : this is untested speculation, but I used to weigh 230, and had a large saddlebag and no issues. I weigh 195 now with the acorn carradice clone and standoff. Still no issues, but it's hard to fit more than 20-25lbs in/on that bag.

Jeff Lesperance

May 13, 2015, 9:40:53 PM5/13/15
On Wed, May 13, 2015 at 4:32 PM, David Banzer <daba...@gmail.com> wrote:
Bagman Expedition arrived today. I have a bag that'll work with it. Will give it a try with a moderate load and see.
Other question: how much weight would be advisable on typical saddle loops (Brooks and SA specifically) and seatpost w/standoff?

I've been rolling with the Bagman Expedition QR + Camper longflap for a few weeks with light/bulky loads, and based on the feedback from this conversation, I definitely have some reservations about using it with heftier loads, particularly offroad where it may be bumpier, even if I do have a chance to cobble together additional struts as previously mentioned.

That being said, I think I have a better chance just sticking with the built-in loops on my Brooks saddle plus a stand-off vs. trying to add a rear rack to support the bag, because on the subject bike, a 60cm XOXO, the bag will barely make contact with a rear rack when hung from the saddle, unless the rack can be made to sit pretty high above the rear wheel. Does anyone have experience with the Nitto NR-20 or NR-21 (http://store.somafab.com/ninrrebagsu1.html)? It looks like that may sit higher based on the rear canti mounts and in that it's specifically meant as a rear bag support.

-Jeff
Silver Spring, MD

Chris Chen

May 14, 2015, 12:09:55 AM5/14/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I run the large on a big campee rear rack because I broke an R-14 by overloading it. Yeah it's my fault, but sometimes you want to put 40 pounds in a large saddlesack and this lets you do that.

"I want the kind of six pack you can't drink." -- Micah

scott jansen

May 14, 2015, 12:09:56 AM5/14/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
i use a large saddlesack and r14 rack. ive always just needed something to keep it off of the fender, nelson longflap, hoss, and now this. my saddle height is 77. but for your height it doesnt seem like you need anything, except i suppose that thigh rubbing thing. ive never had a problem with that. maybe saddle set back and leg extension has something to do with it. david im in libertyville, come on up id like to buy you a beer at firkin.
P1040193.JPG

Patrick Moore

May 14, 2015, 12:47:52 AM5/14/15
to rbw-owners-bunch
Man, makes me like Tubus. I've carried 40 lb on many Flys ("Flies"?) many a mile with no problems.

David Banzer

May 14, 2015, 11:59:34 AM5/14/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Bagman didn't play nice with the Selle-Anatomica saddle - saddle clamps were near the rear ends of the saddle rails straight section. Bummer. Looks like I'll just use a standoff or make a tall saddlebag supported by a regular rear rack.
If anyone needs a Bagman Expedition, original version, how's about $50 plus shipping.
David
Chicago

Ron Mc

May 14, 2015, 12:37:58 PM5/14/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I think the straps would tear before the saddle loops would bend

Ron Mc

May 14, 2015, 12:39:57 PM5/14/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
David, maybe you need to try the Nitto R12 - Bens cycle has the best shipped price.  Though it's only rated for 2kg

William deRosset

May 15, 2015, 8:32:48 PM5/15/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Dear David,

A stainless fender does a pretty good job..

A Tubus Fly if a Bagman is not enough. Yep, it is a full rear rack; however, the Fly is lighter than anything with more carrying capacity than a Bagman.

Best,

Will