Stem Mounted Shifters?

jsk

Feb 17, 2011, 11:28:22 AM2/17/11
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone knows of a manufacturer making modern, well
built stem mounted shifters anymore (or ever)? You know, like the type
that used come standard on Schwinn Collegiate bikes and the like?

I mean, considering the devotion to upright bars here ...

Peter Pesce

Feb 17, 2011, 2:21:58 PM2/17/11
to RBW Owners Bunch
I was trying to find something like this a while back, with no luck. I
even asked Chris at VO if they would consider producing some kind of
stem mount for the silver shifters. He said they had considered it,
but it was way down the list of things they are planning to do.

Best bet would be to find an old stem shift clamp that uses the same
bosses as the current production silvers.

I've even thought about trying to retrofit downtubes to my Sam,
without brazing bosses on. Nothing exists for a 31.8mm downtube,
though, and I don't have the skills/tools to fabricate anything that
would look decent.

-Pete

William

Feb 17, 2011, 3:42:41 PM2/17/11
to RBW Owners Bunch
The coolest things I've seen is custom steel stems with downtube
bosses brazed onto the stem. Ahearne in particular features them
often.

doug peterson

Feb 17, 2011, 8:24:10 PM2/17/11
to RBW Owners Bunch
If Jenny from Point Loma sees this maybe she'll chime in. She has
them on her Homer & they look good. I haven't gotten a close look but
they look better than the ones common back in the 70s/80s. It's a
clean look that elminates all the clutter of the bar ends I've been
using forever. Definitely worth consideration.

dougP
> > > I mean, considering the devotion to upright bars here ...- Hide quoted text -

davidg

Feb 17, 2011, 11:30:43 PM2/17/11
to RBW Owners Bunch

These look pretty good, classic like on the old schwinns. Says 5/6
speed but it's friction and looks like plenty long throw.

http://www.amazon.com/Sunrace-Mount-Shift-Lever-Friction/dp/B000A6B3IM

velomann

Feb 17, 2011, 11:57:56 PM2/17/11
to RBW Owners Bunch
Oh my gosh - do you happen to have access to a used bike shop or
cycling co-op kind of place? There must be a half dozen places here in
Portland that have, like, boxes - literally - of Shimano and Suntour
stem-mount shifters. I doubt you're likely to find anything better
than those old classics. If you can find an old set of the Shimano 600
"Arabesque" stem mount shifters, you'll think you died and went to
stem shifter heaven!

David Miller

Feb 17, 2011, 9:21:59 PM2/17/11
to RBW Owners Bunch
Have you tried Pauls thumbies? www.paulcomp.com/thumbies.html
David Miller
Seattle

doug peterson

Feb 18, 2011, 11:26:25 AM2/18/11
to RBW Owners Bunch
Veloman:

Now you've done it. I bought a nearly complete Arabesque group from a
guy a couple of years ago for a project that didn't happen, and among
the goodies was just such a set. Now I've got to find them &
contemplate installing them on the Atlantis. It's that time of year
for a bit of tinkering and this is an intriguing idea. I need to
install cable splitters anyway.

dougP

Angus

Feb 19, 2011, 6:15:58 PM2/19/11
to RBW Owners Bunch
Stem mounted shifters are increasingly appealing to me...in a few
years it may cause me to act.

Angus

scott

Feb 19, 2011, 8:54:14 PM2/19/11
to RBW Owners Bunch
Suntour made power-ratchet stem mount shifters. A little digging in
parts bins will turn up a nice pair I'm sure.

Thomas Lynn Skean

Feb 19, 2011, 9:27:41 PM2/19/11
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yes, decisions such as this one require considerable contemplation,
research, analysis, soul-searching, and, certainly not least,
consultation.

You can't just jump into these things. Who knows what would happen?

:)

Yours,
Thomas Lynn Skean
P.S. I thought I saw on the web some stem-mounted clamp that could be
used to hold modern downtube shifters. I'll look around and post back
if I find it again. Good thing there's no rush!

doug peterson

Feb 20, 2011, 1:49:07 AM2/20/11
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thomas:

Please post if you find something. I checked my Arabesques & the
clamp is way bigger than the stem. It would need a thick shim to work
& I'd probably start with a couple of tire boots or something equally
ugly.

Whatever's on Jenny's Homer is clean looking & fits the look of the
bike.

dougP

On Feb 19, 6:27 pm, Thomas Lynn Skean <thomaslynnsk...@comcast.net>

bikecg

Feb 19, 2011, 6:25:20 PM2/19/11
to RBW Owners Bunch
If that is the case, find old Shimano L422 stemmies. They are rachet
fore and aft, beautifully finished and work like crazy. They are from
about 1986 for you retro guys.

Bikecg

Jenny

Feb 21, 2011, 12:10:13 AM2/21/11
to RBW Owners Bunch
Doug,

My stem shifter solution:

Took a set of old Suntour stem shifters and replaced the shifting
levers with the Rivendell Silver Shifters. I had to file/apply
sandpaper to the posts on the Suntour shifter mounts a hair in order
to get the Rivendell shifters to fit.

Photos of my Franken-shifter set:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56986077@N06/sets/72157625974204537/

Don't know the model number, but here's an example of the Suntour stem
shifter mount/clamp I used:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Road-Bike-Suntour-10-Speed-Fingertip-Shifter-/120673846583?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c18b8c537

It works great for me because I like to ride with my hands on the
tops.

Jenny

doug peterson

Feb 21, 2011, 1:17:01 PM2/21/11
to RBW Owners Bunch
Jenny:

Thanks for the photos & info. Whoduh thunk those old Suntour stem
shifters would ever get respect? Must be the Silver levers that make
your set-up look so good. I gotta think about this one; been using
bar ends for at least 20 years & still poke myself and hit the lever
sometimes, and have never liked the look of the cable housings looping
around the front.

dougP

On Feb 20, 9:10 pm, Jenny <jenny.tam...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Doug,
>
> My stem shifter solution:
>
> Took a set of old Suntour stem shifters and replaced the shifting
> levers with the Rivendell Silver Shifters.  I had to file/apply
> sandpaper to the posts on the Suntour shifter mounts a hair in order
> to get the Rivendell shifters to fit.
>
> Photos of my Franken-shifter set:http://www.flickr.com/photos/56986077@N06/sets/72157625974204537/
>
> Don't know the model number, but here's an example of the Suntour stem
> shifter mount/clamp I used:http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Road-Bike-Suntour-10-Speed-Fingertip-Shif...

Daniel

Feb 21, 2011, 2:59:15 PM2/21/11
to RBW Owners Bunch

Ray Shine

Feb 21, 2011, 3:30:37 PM2/21/11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Here's my SunTour Stem Shifter set-up. I like it a lot.

http://cyclofiend.com/cc/2010/cc808-rayshine1110.html