Covered Bridge Metric Century, Lancaster PA 8/21

JohnS

Jun 23, 2016, 11:13:39 AM6/23/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Anyone interested in joining me for the Covered Bridge Metric Century in Lancaster PA on 8/21? I had rode it about 7 years ago and it was a blast. Very well organized with course marshals at most intersections waving the riders on, almost non stop riding, plus you get to cross a bunch of covered bridges. As I recall mostly rolling hills with a long climb just before the mid point rest stop. At this time I'm planning to ride my Salsa Casseroll, but would consider riding my 2 speed QB if we build a Riv contingency. I would advise registering soon if you want to go. Details at...

Thanks,
JohnS

Steve Palincsar

Jun 23, 2016, 2:04:57 PM6/23/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I'll be there, and this year, as I have done for several years past,
will be leading a ride with members of my bike club on the Saturday before.

Lungimsam

Jun 23, 2016, 4:02:26 PM6/23/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm hopefully going.

Brian Campbell

Jun 23, 2016, 8:26:15 PM6/23/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Gonna try and get there this year

On Thursday, June 23, 2016 at 4:02:26 PM UTC-4, Lungimsam wrote:
I'm hopefully going.

kielsun

Jun 23, 2016, 8:32:48 PM6/23/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Folks,

I'd be super interested in this! I'm in Baltimore, so it's very doable. Would be tons of fun to ride with other Rivs.

Bob

Jack

Jun 23, 2016, 8:36:46 PM6/23/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm signed up, I think this will be the tenth consecutive year I've done it. It's a good ride, well organized with great scenery. I usually ride my Bleriot

Keep me posted, it would be good to see a few other Riv bikes on this one!

Kevin Lindsey

Jun 23, 2016, 9:10:01 PM6/23/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm registered but riding with another group.  I'll be on my Hunqapillar and will keep my eyes peeled for other Rivs.
Kevin

kielsun

Jun 23, 2016, 9:17:52 PM6/23/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
OK, I'm signed up. (Slight meander: I'm also hoping to do the Seagull Century in October if anyone's interested.)

Lungimsam

Jun 23, 2016, 10:30:41 PM6/23/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Im hopefully at seagull too. Transfered my tegistration from last year.

Maybe bring Sam or Bleriot.

We could have a Rivendell critical mass and block up the route!!! Ha ha!!!!

Lungimsam

Jun 23, 2016, 10:31:32 PM6/23/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Bay to Bay century is this sunday in chestertown too

Austin B

Jun 24, 2016, 8:16:55 AM6/24/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hadn't heard of this one, but it's now tentatively on the calendar. Looks like a good ride and I am looking for something like this in August (also considering Tour de Frederick). Will need to check a couple things before I register.

If there's a bunch of Rivs going, I'll ride my Sam.

Thanks,
Austin

Mark Wilkins

Jun 24, 2016, 8:24:04 AM6/24/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I've talked about doing this for years (only 45 min drive away), but
just never followed through. Thanks for the heads-up, John. I'll get
it on the calendar.

If I can make it, I'll either ride my Atlantis or my Prodigal-Rambouillet.

Mark

JohnS

Jun 24, 2016, 9:24:08 AM6/24/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks everyone for the awesome response. This is only my second time for doing this ride, so I don't know of a good meeting place. Does anyone have a suggestion? As I said, I would be riding my QB or my Riv inspired Casseroll (mustache bars, Barlow Pass tires, VP pedals, Brooks, Wald basket with Shop Sack).

JohnS

Jeff Lesperance

Jun 24, 2016, 9:46:35 AM6/24/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I'll be there either on my Hillborne or Hilsen. I'm going to investigate biking up there from the DC Metro area or driving up ahead of time somewhere in the vicinity and doing an overnight or two on the bike, so I could be doing the official ride with touring kit.

-Jeff
Silver Spring, MD

Robert Keal

Jun 24, 2016, 10:42:46 AM6/24/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I'll be on my Sam with 42 mm Soma Shikoros and Treetop saddle wedge (via Jeff). I'll likely remove the basket for the ride, although I've been enjoying the setup with my makeshift "rando bag," a large canvas fanny pack. :)

Bob

Bob
443 278 4265
http://www.smallsur.com

Allingham II, Thomas J. (Retired Partner)

Jun 24, 2016, 11:02:55 AM6/24/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

I'll be there on the Butch Bomba or the Mystery Bike (depending on whether I ride to the ride or not).

The sender of this email is a retired partner of Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP ("Skadden") and is not performing legal service on behalf of Skadden. Use by a retired partner of the skadden.com or probonolaw.com domain names is in his/her personal capacity and not on behalf of Skadden or its affiliates.

Lungimsam

Jun 24, 2016, 12:33:31 PM6/24/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Im signed up. My pal will probably be riding his 1996 ~full carbon bike with carbon wheels.
I think it is a Trek. It has a Rivish stem though and bullhorn bars with the brifters facing down!!
. I'll hopefully have my Bleriot. Maybe blue Sam.

JohnS

Jul 19, 2016, 9:20:39 PM7/19/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Looks like registration is still open for the ride, but I think time is running out.

JohnS

kielsun

Aug 14, 2016, 10:43:04 AM8/14/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
This is coming up soon! What time do folks want to meet? 7?

Jeff Lesperance

Aug 17, 2016, 8:53:01 AM8/17/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I'm planning on driving up early from Silver Spring, MD, attempting to arrive at the starting location right around 7:00, with the intent of rolling out on the course shortly thereafter. I'll be riding my green Sam.

On Sun, Aug 14, 2016 at 10:43 AM, kielsun <bob...@gmail.com> wrote:
This is coming up soon! What time do folks want to meet? 7?

Steve Palincsar

Aug 17, 2016, 9:11:40 AM8/17/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

The lunch stop is at about mile 36.  If you roll at 7 you will get to the lunch stop before 11 am.  For most of us, that's pretty early for lunch.

I don't intend to assemble at the ride start until around 8 am, and with any luck will be able to get my duckies in a row and mobilized (I've got a group from the local bike club) for a start by maybe 8:15 .  Allowing for reasonable rest stops at Farmersville and the Goodwill and a bit of oohing and ahhing at the three covered bridges on the way there, that should put me at the lunch stop at around 11:30-12:00.

I expect most members of my group, including me, will be wearing our Oxon Hill club jerseys so we should be pretty easy to spot, if you are considering leaving at 8-ish.

I couldn't possibly leave Alexandria and do a drive up to Lancaster in time for a morning departure - alllowing 3 hours for the drive, that would have me getting up at 2 am and almost certainly falling asleep at the wheel on the drive home after the ride - so we're coming up on Saturday morning.  We're going to meet at the Strasburg Railroad and do a 41 mile ride, then meet for dinner that evening.

JohnS

Aug 17, 2016, 1:56:45 PM8/17/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm planning to get there between 7:30 and 8:00. I'll be driving a silver VW Eurovan. Still on the fence about which bike to ride, orange QB or blue Salsa Casseroll. I may bring both and decide when I get there. Just completed a 45 mile ride around south NJ on the QB. We're on vacation in Cape May. Not much elevation gain on the ride, but a few points were below sea level when I plotted the ride on gmap-pedometer.

JohnS

B. Keal

Aug 17, 2016, 2:11:08 PM8/17/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'll intend to be at the starting point around 7:00 or 7:30 and will lurk around until I find a group to roll with. I'll be riding my orange Sam. I wanted to have it converted to Noodles before the ride, but I won't be able to get everything done in time, so Albatross setup it is.

And JohnS, not that you asked, but I say QB! Not much elevation gain on the ride. Should be pretty smooth sailing.

Bob

Jeff Lesperance

Aug 17, 2016, 2:33:29 PM8/17/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Good points Steve. I tend to be a get out there and ride guy and like to start early, and in my working/weekday life I'm up early and usually occupying my cubicle by 7:00 AM, so 11:00 isn't really an early lunch for me.

I'm not an experienced group rider so I tend to push ahead or hang back from groups that appear familiar with communicating with each other, so I am looking to meet folks though I may not try to ride too close (so I hope nobody's offended if I drift toward lone riding.)

I'll be waking up early and driving ~2 hours and I think I'll get there around 7:00, but I'll likely want to shake my legs out and walk around a bit before pedaling away. If there's nice people and bikes around who knows when I'll actually start.

Hope to see you there

-Jeff
Silver Spring, MD

Steve Palincsar

Aug 17, 2016, 3:00:01 PM8/17/16

On 08/17/2016 02:11 PM, B. Keal wrote:
I'll intend to be at the starting point around 7:00 or 7:30 and will lurk around until I find a group to roll with. I'll be riding my orange Sam. I wanted to have it converted to Noodles before the ride, but I won't be able to get everything done in time, so Albatross setup it is.

And JohnS, not that you asked, but I say QB! Not much elevation gain on the ride. Should be pretty smooth sailing.

2542' of elevation gain for the 63.3 miles, per RWGPS.  Max grade 7.1%.  Here's the elevation profile:

so not exactly a "flat" ride, not by any means.

B. Keal

Aug 17, 2016, 3:47:47 PM8/17/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Another good point, Steve. I must've looked at the wrong cue sheet a little while back since they hadn't posted the route. Sorry for floating the misinformation out there.

Steve Palincsar

Aug 17, 2016, 4:04:02 PM8/17/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Actually, they have; it's hidden behind an extremely poorly designed
user interface. The official PDF of the cue sheet is here:
http://www.lancasterbikeclub.net/wp-content/uploads/cbmc/2016/2016-LBC-Full-Metric-Rev-Final.pdf

The routes page http://www.lancasterbikeclub.net/cbmc-routes/ also
includes a link to a GPX file, which someone told me doesn't seem to
work for cue-by-cue navigation (not sure if that's correct or not).

I also found the route on RWGPS:
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/15888904 and RWGPS provides several
export formats for GPS for the route. I converted that into a cue sheet
of my own, which is in the Cloud:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_14nUHjyxe1Q2MwRTJhbjFEM1E (I find
the way they've formatted their cue sheet hard to use)

Incidentally, if you are thinking of coming up on Saturday, this is the
route we're doing from Strasburg RR at 10:30
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/15589485 The cue sheet is in the Cloud:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_14nUHjyxe1Uk1TTTZwbDhDVFU You're
welcome to join me.

JohnS

Aug 18, 2016, 4:11:22 PM8/18/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks for the elevation profile, looks a lot like the rollers that I'm use to at home, so I think I'll go with the QB. The only difficult climb will be the one at the 33 mile point, which I think is after the lunch stop. I'll use the low gear on that one. The climb before it is drawn out, shouldn't be a problem. Hopefully the weather will cooperate.

Steve Palincsar

Aug 18, 2016, 4:36:50 PM8/18/16

On 08/18/2016 04:11 PM, JohnS wrote:
> Thanks for the elevation profile, looks a lot like the rollers that
> I'm use to at home, so I think I'll go with the QB. The only difficult
> climb will be the one at the 33 mile point, which I think is after the
> lunch stop.

Lunch is at 36.4, so it's before lunch.

I saw a very funny thing on that climb once, a few years ago. I'm
grinding up at my typical sub-10 mph pace and this young woman comes
blasting by me out of the saddle snarling something at me as she goes
by; gets about 5 or 10 yards ahead of me and suddenly cuts hard right
into a driveway just before the crest, wobbles to a stop, gets off -
practically falls off - the bike and flops down on the ground totally
exhausted and completely out of breath.

> I'll use the low gear on that one. The climb before it is drawn out,
> shouldn't be a problem. Hopefully the weather will cooperate.

The current forecast has a 90% chance of thunderstorms "in the
evening". Of course, that doesn't mean we won't see any earlier in the
day. In any event, I'm bringing a bike with fenders. You really don't
want to be riding an open-wheeled bike in the rain on rural roads in the
Amish country...

Kevin Lindsey

Aug 18, 2016, 5:47:55 PM8/18/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm registered but, regretfully, will probably bail.  The NOAA website is predicting rain and a 70% chance of thunderstorms around Lancaster beginning about 9:00 a.m. on Sunday.   I have no desire to repeat my experience from last year's Civil War Century.
Although I'll miss the ride (which is supposed to be beautiful), the best way to ensure that you guys have perfect weather is for me to stay home and miss it on the assumption that it's going to rain.
Kevin

ascpgh

Aug 19, 2016, 5:21:07 AM8/19/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
You really don't want to be riding an open-wheeled bike in the rain on rural roads in the Amish country...

Or, just as accurately, follow an open-wheeled bicycle in Amish country.

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh

Steve Palincsar

Aug 19, 2016, 6:24:17 AM8/19/16

On 08/19/2016 05:21 AM, ascpgh wrote:
You really don't want to be riding an open-wheeled bike in the rain on rural roads in the Amish country...

Or, just as accurately, follow an open-wheeled bicycle in Amish country.

There may come a time when you find yourself riding behind an Amish buggy, not able to go fast enough to get around it and pass.  In that circumstance, you will feel a strong impulse to line yourself up between the wheels, in line with the buggy's back window.  Do not do this!  When you are lined up between the buggy's wheels, you are also directly behind the horse and anything that drops from the back end of that horse.  Fenders or no, you don't want your front wheel to ride through a puddle of wet, slippery horse exhaust -- and you definitely don't want your front wheel to skid out and go down into it.  So if you do have to ride behind a buggy, line up with one of the buggy's wheels.

Incidentally, in Lancaster County PA the Amish don't ride bicycles.  They ride large-wheeled scooters like this:

If you see people dressed like this riding bicycles in Lancaster County (and on the Covered Bridge Metric you indeed will) they will be Mennonites rather than Amish.

Lungimsam

Aug 19, 2016, 11:03:09 AM8/19/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Late notice, but I have an extra registration if anyone wants it.
My friend's wife is having a tough surgery recovery, so he needs to be with her at this time and cannot go.

The ride administrators said it is ok to transfer ownership but you have to sign the waiver when you get there.
If anyone wants it we can meet at registration table at an agreed time so I can give it to you.
Not necessary to ride together if you like riding alone better, but I definitely would like to start riding by 7:30-8:00 at the latest, meaning pedals turning by 8 at the extreme latest. So please try to be on time. So maybe we could meet between 7-7:15?

Robert Keal

Aug 19, 2016, 11:17:19 AM8/19/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I'm with Kevin and will definitely be monitoring the weather leading up to Sunday--it'll likely be a game-time decision for me. I suppose I could throw the fenders back on my Sam and make it work, but I'm not really looking to ride all day in the rain. Here's to hoping for a shift in the forecast!

Bob K. in Baltimore

Lungimsam

Aug 19, 2016, 11:21:25 AM8/19/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
In this heat, I don't know if rain gear would help. Might just sweat to death in it. But would be nice to keep my shorts dry...

Jack

Aug 19, 2016, 11:45:46 AM8/19/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Like Kevin, I'm registered, but am gonna bail due to the weather outlook. I hope I'm making a mistake and you guys have decent weather, but it's a 250-mile drive for me to Lancaster and I don't wanna do that just to ride in the rain. I rode much of it in the rain about five years ago and was very glad I had fenders for the reasons stated here.... But it's a great ride, and I really hate to miss it. For those who ride, be safe and please post your experiences here!

Lungimsam

Aug 19, 2016, 12:19:39 PM8/19/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks for the cue sheet, Steve.
Much easier to read.

Rambouillet doesn't have fenders yet. Need to get some 28mm tires for enough clearance.

Hopefully I will be on my fendered Bleriot.
I will have on an orange safety vest I bought from RUSA, says "Randonneurs USA" on it. Say "hi" as you all pass me. I am slow.

JohnS

Aug 19, 2016, 12:21:09 PM8/19/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
It's a good thing that I put the fenders back on the QB a couple of weeks ago, sounds like they may come in handy. I'll also bring along a light weight rain jacket and a plastic bag for the stuff in my ShopSack. I'll be looking for fellow Riv-Riders once I get there.

Good advice on riding behind the wheels of a horse drawn buggy. I don't think that their waste is considered street furniture, like in pro bike racing, but just as dangerous.

Steve Palincsar

Aug 19, 2016, 3:29:57 PM8/19/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I've done this ride many times.  One time I was riding a bike with my then-brand new Berthoud bag.  A paceline of people with club jerseys went by and as she passed me, one woman snarkily asked me if "I had my little dog Toto" with me in the bag.

The following year, it rained in the morning.  I was at the Goodwill Store water stop and there she was, with a bunch of her mates, in those same club jerseys.  She was covered with road spatter, and I overheard her telling her friends how she had a bit of a skid and barely caught herself because of "mud on the road."

I walked up to her and told her that before it had gotten on the road, the last place that "mud" had been was inside of a horse, and that regardless of the spatter on her body and on her face, she would be all right as long as she did not lick her lips.

If it rains up there, you really want to be on a bike with fenders.

Lungimsam

Aug 19, 2016, 5:36:20 PM8/19/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I was glad to see that they discouraged pacelines in their mailer.

I guess after the ride I'll have to hose off any mud from the inside of my fenders.

I'll have to remember to unscrew the lid before drinking from my water bottles.

Steve Palincsar

Aug 19, 2016, 6:31:08 PM8/19/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Back in the day, they didn't have a total rider limit and they allowed
pacelines. After several years with a number of bad crashes, they
decided to cut back on the number of riders and actively discourage
pacelines. Bike VA bans pacelines for the same reason. Pacelines may
be just dandy for a relatively small group of experienced, practiced
people who know each other and have trained together, but with a large
mix of total strangers of varying skill levels, pacelines can become
very dangerous indeed.

Jeff Lesperance

Aug 20, 2016, 5:06:04 PM8/20/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Weather forecast is not getting any better for tomorrow on the route. I'm moving my status to questionable. I really don't mind riding in the rain on occasion but I'm not sure I'm keen to ride in predicted thunderstorms all day.

David Hallerman

Aug 20, 2016, 5:14:00 PM8/20/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
And if it were sunny, I still wouldn't do this ride again. Did it about 6 years ago, and the one major downside is very little shade on the route. Most of the roads through open fields, and a hot sun is unrelenting.

Would be a much better ride in early October.

B. Keal

Aug 20, 2016, 5:31:54 PM8/20/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm 60/40 "in" right now. I figure if I roll out by 7:30 or so that I can (maybe) get a quick few hours of riding in before the rain really comes. Haven't looked into bailouts to the shorter routes, but that's likely a possibility if things get hairy, too.

Plus, I just reverted to my trusty ol' fenders and Jack Browns on my Sam for the ride, so it'd be a shame to just take 'em off again with nothing to show for it.

Bob K. in Baltimore

JohnS

Aug 20, 2016, 8:21:44 PM8/20/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
My goal is to be on the road by 8:00 and to be done by 1:00, taking only one or two short breaks. I'm not planning to eat at the lunch stop. This way I should be back to my van before the worst of the weather starts, which looks to be around 4:00.

JohnS

Aug 21, 2016, 5:02:35 PM8/21/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Well I completed the ride on schedule, getting back at 1:15, just before the rain started to come down in buckets. I had rode the first half of the ride with Bob K, but I got ahead of him on the rest of ride, hopefully he got back before getting drenched. First 2/3 of the ride were dry, but after the lunch rest stop, it started to rain lightly and the wind picked up, which made for a challenging ride to say the least. One time I turned a corner into a head wind and I was like, UGH! That hurts. All in all, a very well organized ride even though Bob and I missed a turn following the riders who were doing the 1/2 metric century, oh well, I think we add about 6 or 7 miles. Next time, I'll have to be more careful.

I did pass someone on a blue Riv, but I didn't slow down to talk to them, sorry about that, I was in my grove. Was it someone on the list? We did talk a little with a guy who owned a mint '93 XO-1, nice bike.

JohnS

Lungimsam

Aug 21, 2016, 5:50:55 PM8/21/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Don't know if it was me or not. Sounds like you started earlier, so probably not. I think I finished around 1:45-2?
I was on my blue Bleriot.
I saw a guy with a blue custom, too. Maybe him?
I did'nt see any other Rivendells.
It rained the last ~15 miles for me. Last 5 was heavy rain. It was fun, though. But drenching. It was fun seeing all the Amish carriages and bridges.

Steve Palincsar

Aug 21, 2016, 6:16:53 PM8/21/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I started at about 7:10. Rain started for me on the full metric route
just as I was stopping at the last rest stop at noon; rained for maybe 4
miles and then stopped; started again about 2 miles from the end,
stopped as I arrived at the finish at around 1 pm; started again in
earnest as I was changing clothes in the portolet next to my car and
continued in full force for about 15 minutes of driving heading west on
US 30.

I saw no Rivendells or, as far as I know, members of the RBW group.

I thought it was a great ride. Two thumbs up for the route
improvements. And I do feel sorry for all those who bailed because of
the adverse forecast. For the first 50 miles, the weather was just
beautiful. And even the rain in the last 10 miles was fun. Of course,
I did miss the really heavy rain, so that kind of colors my view of it.
And full metal fenders do work wonders at stopping rooster tails, making
rain much more enjoyable.

Lungimsam

Aug 21, 2016, 6:53:21 PM8/21/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I used your cue sheet, Steve. Thanks!
Fenders were a must, and avoiding unfendered riders' rooster tails with all that manure on the roadways. I saw white stuff swirling in the water and I wonder what it was.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.png
image.jpeg

Robert Keal

Aug 22, 2016, 10:26:04 AM8/22/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
As JohnS said, we rode the first half or so together. He was too quick on his beautiful orange Quickbeam for me to keep cranking up the hills with him, so I slowed to a crawl/coast pace for the last 30 miles. The rain started, if a bit hesitantly, around noon, but didn't really get going until just before I left the final rest stop. It was exhilarating to bomb hills in the downpour, and my climbing pace ticked upward given the sopping motivation.

As always, I brought stuff that I didn't really need: rain jacket, cell phone, extra shirt. I suppose being over-prepared is better than its opposite, but a bit less poundage wouldn't have hurt, and I could've removed my rear rack if I'd just left it all at home. On the happy side of the equipment arena, I re-installed fenders, which necessitated the abandonment of 42 mm Soma Shikoros in favor of Jack Brown blues. Honestly, I like the Shikoros a lot but didn't miss the extra volume/cush they provide. I kept the JBs somewhere around 60 psi and was happy with the ride, and particularly happy to not have horse scat all over my legs and back at the end of the ride (Editor's note: Who am I kidding?).

Attached is the obligatory bike + covered bridge picture. Please disregard the hasty fender line. I didn't re-install them until the eve of the ride and it was too late to be finicky!

Bob

Inline image 1

Lungimsam

Aug 22, 2016, 11:52:39 AM8/22/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Canti-borne! Looks nice! Actually that fender line looks pretty good!
Glad you went. I was thinking thatve been too bad to bail because the rain was not bad and added to the fun since it was only at the end part of the ride.

Steve Palincsar

Aug 22, 2016, 3:32:28 PM8/22/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
So, how did it work out for you?

The decision point for the half-metric came right after the first rest
stop, at around mile 12. The weather didn't get bad until around noon.
At that point, having left at 7:10 or 7:15, I was just pulling into the
last rest stop. I think I saw only 2 other bikes with fenders besides
mine (a black Velo Orange Randonneur), and no Rivendells.

Steve Palincsar

Aug 22, 2016, 3:33:48 PM8/22/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

It was just wonderful on Sunday.  Weather was fine right up until it wasn't, and it was very comfortable - delightful, even.  No unrelenting hot sun, just pleasant; and it was a fantastic ride.

Lungimsam

Aug 22, 2016, 8:25:05 PM8/22/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Steve,
You can go to their picture site and scroll thru the pics to see the Rivendell riders. There is a guy on a blue custom, a guy with orange Alba-borne doing some standing pedalling, and me on Bleriot. Haven't seen any others yet. It is alot of pics to scroll through.

Bob K.

Aug 22, 2016, 10:12:59 PM8/22/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
That's me standing and trying to keep up with JohnS!

Lungimsam

Aug 22, 2016, 10:57:26 PM8/22/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Looking good! Nice beard. Good to have more facial hair on the ride!

Lungimsam

Aug 22, 2016, 11:00:19 PM8/22/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
And don't forget, y'all. The Indian Head 100 Century ride (which Steve can tell you more about) is on Labor Day.

JohnS

Aug 23, 2016, 9:04:44 AM8/23/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I enjoyed the ride, despite the light rain and head winds. Beautiful country side, most roads were quite, rolling terrain, all good! I would definitely do it again.
Bob and I were having a good time talking for the first half of the ride, but riding a fixed gear is out of sync with the rest of the biking world. You have to be more aggressive on the up hills and spin out on the down hills. I scanned through some of the photos, but couldn't find one of me. You would think an orange bicycle with a black Wald basket and olive Shop Shack would stand out more. I'll look some more later.

JohnS

Lungimsam

Aug 23, 2016, 12:38:13 PM8/23/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Pics and videos. Turn the volume down.  https://www.flickr.com/gp/70237737@N00/Vjxj3M

JohnS

Aug 23, 2016, 1:28:40 PM8/23/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks for sharing, I really liked seeing all of the Amish riding bikes or in their buggies.

I was scanning the pictures and I see you're smiling in picture number 2685 in the Erb's Covered Bridge group. For those who are interested, I'm in picture 1782 of the Hunseeker Covered Bridge group.

JohnS

Steve Palincsar

Aug 23, 2016, 2:21:41 PM8/23/16

On 08/23/2016 09:04 AM, JohnS wrote:
> I enjoyed the ride, despite the light rain and head winds. Beautiful
> country side, most roads were quite, rolling terrain, all good! I
> would definitely do it again.
> Bob and I were having a good time talking for the first half of the
> ride, but riding a fixed gear is out of sync with the rest of the
> biking world. You have to be more aggressive on the up hills and spin
> out on the down hills. I scanned through some of the photos, but
> couldn't find one of me. You would think an orange bicycle with a
> black Wald basket and olive Shop Shack would stand out more. I'll look
> some more later.

I did see a fixed gear some time after lunch, but as I recall it was a
black bike and no Wald basket, so I don't think it was you.

Message has been deleted

Lungimsam

Aug 24, 2016, 12:47:10 AM8/24/16
to RBW Owners Bunch

JohnS

Aug 24, 2016, 12:46:18 PM8/24/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
That's a good one, nice and dry, before the rain.

JohnS