Nitto Hub Area racks & their accompanying Sackville bags

ant ritchey

Feb 11, 2016, 11:08:28 AM2/11/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Finally getting around to installing the HA racks and bags.  Was only slightly skeptical of the irish-strap-as-lone-attachment hardware.

Post-s24o, approx 100 miles and lots of bumps...very impressed!  No loosening what so ever, though i shied from putting anything too heavy in them.

So my lackluster (and unintentional) review is "hell yeah!" to the rack/bag/strap combo.

And my question is this:  how do you do 'em?  thoughts, feelings, experiences...interested in hearing what the group has to say!

thanks!

ant in pdx or

Mark in Beacon

Feb 11, 2016, 1:25:46 PM2/11/16
to RBW Owners Bunch

I don't have the HA rack, but I do have the backobike bags with the same attachment system. It works very well, as you have discovered. However, the original web straps with buckles that came with my bags (the red, above) can be susceptible to fairly rapid wear. My theory is simple: square peg in round hole, does not work so good. I noticed fraying on my straps at the contact points with the two holes after a couple of months of riding every day, approximately 80-100 miles a week, fairly tame trails and road, but enough bumps and holes.

I purchased replacements from Rivendell. The green replacement straps appear to have a tighter weave, and are wider (and unnecessarily longer). I have not had them in long enough to notice a difference. Before ordering, I substituted a strand of climber's rope, which worked fine and is rated for a hefty load. Looks a bit more Rivish as well. Bottom line: I suspect this could be a potential failure point over time, but is easily monitored and addressed. I really like these bags, for reasons I expressed in another post.`

Mark in Beacon

Feb 11, 2016, 1:33:37 PM2/11/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
And P.S. I do use these often with a decent load weight, including grocery shopping and sometimes overstuffing. But nothing they should not be able to handle. And of course it is a snip of the scissor and a quick seal with a match to shorten the replacement straps, which do appear to be much heartier. If they eventually also begin to fray, I will just go with the rope, which should last a very long time with no worries. (And I have extra lengths of the rope, if anyone would like some for their sackville panniers.)

ant ritchey

Feb 13, 2016, 11:22:06 AM2/13/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks Mark!

You're referring to a previous post on Bill's WTB backabike thread, yes?

Gonna keep fiddling with 'em and probably convince myself that i need to buy some tan backabike sackvilles pronto!