Play in an unweighted pedal

Deacon Patrick

Apr 4, 2018, 6:10:41 PM4/4/18
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Is play in an unweighted pedal always indicative of repair, or is it reasonable for an unweighted to have play?

Details: just been serviced by my LBS and they say all the innards are good and it is properly adjusted. Manufacture says it can be normal and to contact them if the issue persists when weighted. My concern is my sensitivity to movement underfoot and desire for a solid, silent foundation. I’ve no idea if this play has always been there (which would answer my question). I just noticed it after six months use.

With abandon,
Patrick

www.CredoFamily.org
www.MindYourHeadCoop.org

Peter White

Apr 4, 2018, 6:46:24 PM4/4/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
What pedal is it? What brand and model?

PJW

Peter White

Deacon Patrick

Apr 4, 2018, 7:04:57 PM4/4/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Peter, they’re Catalyst by Pedaling Innovations, manufactured by VP. https://pedalinginnovations.com

Bill Lindsay

Apr 4, 2018, 8:45:20 PM4/4/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Check the dustcap at the end.  Make sure it is JUST SNUG.  It doesn't need to be TIGHT, but it should be SNUG.  See if that takes away play.

The plastic VP pedals that came with the Appaloosa have the same looking aluminum dustcap, and at least a few Appaloosa owners reported they self-loosened.  Some people lost them.  Mine self-loosened and when they were loose, it allowed for a fair bit of play.  I put a drop or two of blue loctite on the dustcaps and snugged them up and there was no more play.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

Deacon Patrick

Apr 4, 2018, 8:50:28 PM4/4/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks, Bill. I will check the dust caps. However the pedals went to the shop with play and returned with play, having been disassembled and serviced inside.

With abandon,
Patrick

Bill Lindsay

Apr 4, 2018, 10:55:41 PM4/4/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hopefully that’s not it, then

Jon Dukeman,central Colorado

Apr 5, 2018, 5:04:15 PM4/5/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Patrick
I hope they didn't just  take off the dust cap and shoot some grease in there and called it good. They should of made the adjustment to eliminate the play and tighten the nut. I'd take them back and ask.
Jon

Deacon Patrick

Apr 5, 2018, 5:24:52 PM4/5/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks, Jon. They fully disassembled them,inspected all bits, greased, and reassembled.

With abandon,
Patrick

Message has been deleted

Benz, Sunnyvale, CA

Apr 5, 2018, 5:55:59 PM4/5/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
When you say "play", what do you mean? It is up/down, aka vertical play, or lateral play?

If your Pedaling Innovations pedals are anything like the other commonly available VP pedals (and it does look that way), there isn't really anything to adjust, because it doesn't use loose balls like a MKS pedal (for example). Instead, it uses a few cartridge bearings and a sleeve or roller bearing on the inboard side. The breakdown of these pedals are explained in this rebuild video. From the video, and from inspection of my "Clem Smith" pedals, it is clear that the bearings are held in by the physical dimensions of the spindle, and there doesn't appear to be any allowance to adjust the bearings, vertically or laterally, by design. It is also clear that the dust cap doesn't really do anything structural.

It may be worthwhile for you to see if there's any rebuild kits available for your Pedaling Innovations pedals, or if the ones offered by VP fit your needs. At least for the inboard side, the spindle is used as a bearing surface, so if that part is worn, you may be out of luck (except maybe trying to retrofit parts from the aforementioned cheapy Clem Smith pedals onto your Pedaling Innovations pedals).

Deacon Patrick

Apr 5, 2018, 5:59:37 PM4/5/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
The axel has play in all directions. More on one pedal, less on the other. All innards are in exccellent shape, so a rebuild kit is unnecessary (but was offered by Pedaling Innovations).

With abandon,
Patrick

Joe Bernard

Apr 5, 2018, 7:04:38 PM4/5/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
It sounds to me like a thing that isn't a problem, it's just annoying once you've noticed it. WHY DID I NOTICE THIS??

Ed Fausto

Apr 6, 2018, 12:28:14 AM4/6/18
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Hi Patrick,
I just installed a pair of those Catalyst pedals and just did 22km of pavement going to my office this morning.
But I did not notice any play during that short ride.
Will check my pair and give feedback.
Thanks,
Ed Fausto

Ed Fausto

Apr 6, 2018, 12:33:29 AM4/6/18
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Hi Patrick,
I checked for play by moving the axle in different direction and both left/right pedals are solid.
Ed Fausto

On Fri, Apr 6, 2018 at 7:04 AM, Joe Bernard <joer...@gmail.com> wrote:
It sounds to me like a thing that isn't a problem, it's just annoying once you've noticed it. WHY DID I NOTICE THIS??

tc

Apr 6, 2018, 6:58:02 AM4/6/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hey Patrick,
Bummer -- I hope they'll replace them.  They're too expensive not to work flawlessly.

I have only had time to ride for about 8 -10 miles on mine.  I didn't notice any play.  I'm interested though, and will follow your experience here.  Hopefully not a design issue.

I know your LBS took them apart and checked everything.  To clarify, have you played around with tightening the bolts yourself and still cannot get the play out?

Tom

Ed Fausto

Apr 16, 2018, 1:47:19 AM4/16/18
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Hi Patrick,
Hows your Catalyst pedal?
Is there an increase in play while unweighted?
I understand that it would be annoying with some play and I hope mine will remain good since I really liked them.
Ed

Deacon Patrick

Apr 16, 2018, 5:53:31 PM4/16/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hey Ed. I’ve ridden the wiggle pedals a few times now on my Hunqabeam and in fixed gear it is noticeable (I keep my chain tight). Not sure if I’d notice with a freewheel or derailure as they both add play to the system. Waiting to hear back from Pedaling Innovations.

With abandon,
Patrick

Ed Fausto

Apr 16, 2018, 6:38:30 PM4/16/18
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Hi Patrick, keep us posted on Pedaling Innovation’s feedback.
Regards,
Ed

Deacon Patrick

Apr 17, 2018, 4:04:40 AM4/17/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Ed, the update is they are replacing them.

With abandon,
Patrick