Next challenge - fenders for Cheviot

KC

May 14, 2015, 11:13:08 AM5/14/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
We have a trip to the pacific northwest planned that I think will call for fenders on my (50) bike.  Does anyone have a suggestion for great fenders to add that will let me have as fat a tire as possible too.  I'm currently using Hetres 42 - I saw online that they may really measure 41 (I suppose I could measure, but figure someone may already have the answers for me) and per the rbw site the max tire size I can fit is 40.  So......... hoping somehow the Hetres will actually work with fenders, otherwise looking for recommendation on fenders and complementary tires that I will love - cushy ride without loss of speed (don't want to go back to the Continentals that came with the bike).  Thanks in advance

Tim Gavin

May 14, 2015, 11:25:47 AM5/14/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
SKS P50 would work great.  They're 50 mm wide; plenty of clearance over a Hetre.

The Longboard version is longer than standard, and comes with mudflaps.  Available through Riv for $48.

SKS Chromoplastic (P series) fenders are easier to install than most full fenders.

My only suggestion for improvement:  add a pair of Secu-clips (safety quick release) to the rear fender stays.

I picked up a stick in my rear wheel and the stays accordion-folded my P45 fender up under the brake bridge.  With Secu-clips, the fender stays would have just popped out and not been ruined.

Tim

Surlyprof

May 14, 2015, 11:52:40 AM5/14/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I use p50s on a Hillborne and use Schwalbe 40's with no problem (They measure a true 40 on A719 rims).  I think the clips are standard now.  I picked up a stick in mine and the stays popped right out.  Just needed to snap them back in and go.  You may have to bend and grind open the connection at the front brake bridge to get the fender as high as possible.  I had use my die grinder to open the slot up more toward the fender.  Now I can mount them almost right up against the fork.  A file or Dremel would work for this.  I referred to the Riv video on install.  It was very helpful.  http://www.rivbike.com/kb_results.asp?ID=85

John

Eddie Flayer

May 15, 2015, 6:56:41 PM5/15/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
If you can install Longboards in less than an hour without the Riv video, you are a better man than I.

Surlyprof

May 16, 2015, 12:17:02 AM5/16/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Sadly, I am NOT.  I would need a lot more practice to achieve, "less than an hour" (or maybe just more Rivendells?).

John

Michael Hechmer

May 16, 2015, 7:07:34 AM5/16/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Pushing the boundaries for clearance makes fender installation - both plastic & metal - challenging.  I find it's always a lot easier to live with a tire one size down from the max. spec.  They are easier to set up and have more forgiveness for any possible shifts while in use.  Also, the extra space provides less chance from damage caused by jamming a stick or pine cone into them.

Pat's Betty( the Riv Demo)  came with Fatty Rumpkins and the Longboard fenders.  Getting them set up was a bear because the clearances were so small.  The tires measured 41 mm wide but appeared to be rather tall.  When we were re-prepping the bike this Spring, I again found myself struggling to make the combination work.  I eventually decided it wasn't worth the effort and gave her the pair of 38s, in this case Pari-Motos, from my Saluki.  We ride pretty much entirely on country roads & car free paths so have little concern about flats.

I found that the Rumkins would fit under the VO Zeplin fenders on my Saluki.  It was tight, but not as tight as the Longboards.  But I decided those tires were too stiff for me and bought a new pair of 38s.

If I were you I would buy the VO Zeplin  fenders and an appropriate set of 38's.  If you're touring and the bike gets knocked over or banged at a rack the fenders can get out of alignment.  There is much less chance of that with metal fenders and if it does happen you probably wont even notice with the Al. fenders & 38 mm tires.

Yes, they are more work to install, but if you are patient and relaxed, I'm sure you can do it.

Is this your first pair of fenders?  I have only found two negatives about fenders.  They can make many poorly designed bike racks nearly impossible to use.  They are not compatible with many styles of car carriers.  If you use a fork mount you will need an uplift and still be careful about how low you can put the fenders.  I ended up installing the fenders on my tandem three times before they were high enough to clear the carrier.  Also, some roof top and hitch carriers which grab the front tire look like they will not play nicely with fenders.

Michael

Ron Mc

May 16, 2015, 7:46:04 AM5/16/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
totally an aside, but my cross frame upright has no bosses of any kind and discovered the need last weekend for fenders in our El Nino spring (we're way overdue for a rainy year).  Looking at quick-release options, I found SKS Raceblade XL for half price at left land sports (plus I had joined before and managed to turn off the email barrage).  $35.  For my need, this was a no-brainer, running Strada Biancas - about 32mm.  These are shortened fenders - not full coverage - though they effectively protect everything except the front derailleur.  I was delighted with how easily these install and adjust.  Both the look and the coverage is better than any other snap on fenders.