Opinions on Dove Bars

Eric Karnes

Sep 29, 2016, 5:39:24 PM9/29/16
to RBW Owners Bunch

Hi all-

I wanted to know if anyone here had any experiences with Nitto Dove bars? If so, I’d be interested in your thoughts. How did you like them? Do they have as much backward length as the Albas? Similar sweep angle? Enough for a forward position? Hard to find much info online.

I’m an upright bar man, but seem to be having trouble with pressure on my palms. I’m currently running VO Porteurs on my SimpleOne. They are nice bars and I like the width, but the pressure on my hands is usually noticeable. I’ve tried them with different stems from 9 to 12cm and moved my seat back a bit further, but I can’t discern too much of a difference. Seems like Doves would allow me to get the bars a bit higher and fit ergon grips. I’ve also tried albas on a number of bikes, but my narrow shoulders don’t agree with the width.

Thanks!

Eric

Garth

Sep 30, 2016, 9:23:26 AM9/30/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
  Here is about all you need to know Eric as fa as information.
http://www.benscycle.com/p-1270-nitto-b347aa-alloy-northroad-handlebar-515mm.aspx
http://store.somafab.com/nib3dobar.html
http://www.skinnyerics.com/shop/components/stems-and-bars/handlebars/nitto-b347-dove-bar/

  For a narrower one though and available in the USA, try the B302AA, 48.5mm wide.
For info : https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/handlebars/nitto-b302aa-north-handlebars-254mm-clamp-silver-490mm/?geoc=US
Lowest $$, if that matters :  https://www.amazon.com/Nitto-Swept-Alloy-25-4mm-485mm/dp/B001F6ER16

  Neither however take bar end devices as is. The sweep angle on all Nitto bars of this shape are the same. Now that you know Model numbers when you search the web go by the number, not the name as the number is universal(worldwide), the name is not(not recognized by everyone).

Minh

Sep 30, 2016, 2:41:35 PM9/30/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Eric,
I have both on bikes, i prefer the albatross but then i like the wider bars (despite my size 38 suit shoulders).  I think the Dove bars are noticeably narrower, also less area around the curves to hold onto.  looking at them just now, i can't say there is more rise or up-sweep.

Grant @ Rivendell

Oct 1, 2016, 1:01:48 PM10/1/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Dang, I just wrote a Pulitzer-worthy post, then went back for a fact-check and came back and couldn't find it, and now I'm in no mood to try to do it again, so I'll just lay 'er out there:

B347 is "Dove bar"  RBW was the first-in-memory to import it.
B352 is "Albatross" -- same story

At least one online seller has some facts wrong, and they are key facts.

The DOVE is NOT heat-treated and is NOT suited to trail use.
The ALBATROSS  IS HT, and passes the toughest handlebar test (Mtn EN) that the world bike industry recognizes.

As for the "smooother" bend in the 347 ---- really? How? And again--really? In the same paragraph that claims it is HT and suited to off-road riding, they play the aesthetic gatekeeper card?

The 347 was intended for city use only. A few years ago, using another NITTO city bike bar, five worldwide burley strongboy acrobatic riders were either mislead or tempted by the low  price....and they broke the bar, didn't get badly hurt, but sued the maker. NITTO's impression of American (and German/European) riders is...ultra gonzo. Some are, but when those riders are also heavy and cheapskates, it's a bad combination.

We stopped selling the 347, not because it isn't perfect for its intended use, but because we got wind that people were buying it as a an economic alternative bargain to the 352. It went on mountain bikes and trail-riding hybrids.

Anyway: The 347 is a perfect lite-duti citibike bar. It is not heat-treated, is not recommended or strong enough for trail use.
The 352 Albatross is strong enough, has proven itself in testing and use, but if you're mayhem-bound, please ride another brand to keep NITTO (and us) out of the lawsuit loop.

Eric Karnes

Oct 1, 2016, 2:48:45 PM10/1/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks Grant! That's very helpful...and awesome of you to respond! I do often ride trails with my SimpleOne. And while I'm certainly not burly, ultra-gonzo, or a cheapskate (I hope), it sounds like it's definitely not the bar for the mixed-terrain riding I do. Now that I think of it, should probably also be a concern of mine on my Porteur bar. Hmm.

Anyways, I still have my Albatross bars, and may fiddle around with the placement a bit more. They sure are pretty.

Thanks again!

Eric

Dave Johnston

Oct 2, 2016, 11:45:04 AM10/2/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
The Girlfriend has Dove bars on her San Marcos. She likes the narrow width better than the albas on the converted MB-3.

One disadvantage is the grip part is too short for regular size grips, brakes and top mount thumb shifters in the normal location. You might have to mount the shifters in some other location.

-Dave