Rosco Bubbe #3

frank_a

Jul 15, 2016, 3:25:40 PM7/15/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I picked up my Rosco this morning and got it built up in short order. I used a mix of stuff I had around. I went with 58cm Bosco bars. The saddle is a B72 and the tires are an old set of Continental Top Touring 47's.
 I built it up as a  non-aggressive cruiser. With that said, it also has the feel of a fun and spirited neighborhood bomber. The big, round profile tires are perfect. And yes. it rides like a Rivendell!
 I'm glad I took the leap.

 - Frank

Rosco Bubbe.JPG

David Banzer

Jul 15, 2016, 3:42:09 PM7/15/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Downtube shifters! Nice!
I'm really liking the matte green paint. I'm curious to see what Grant comes up with for those taller Sam forks.
David
Chicago

Chris Lampe 2

Jul 15, 2016, 3:47:51 PM7/15/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I thought these were built around the tall Sam forks.

David Banzer

Jul 15, 2016, 3:54:05 PM7/15/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
There were/are Sam/Betty forks with 300mm+ steerers. Those are definitely taller than what was used on the first batch of Roscoes.
David
Chicago

WETH

Jul 15, 2016, 4:20:18 PM7/15/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Frank,
Nice build and glad you like the ride! I like the green color, too. I am waiting as my Rosco makes its way slowly across the US!
Erl

Ryan Fleming

Jul 15, 2016, 5:26:38 PM7/15/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I love the headbadge ! and I remember those bearclaw pedals...nice bike!...enjoy

John A. Bennett

Jul 15, 2016, 5:51:12 PM7/15/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Nice build!

Nos. 7 & 8 just arrived in Portland a couple of hours ago.

John @ Rivelo

iamkeith

Jul 15, 2016, 7:03:28 PM7/15/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Nice, Frank. Can i ask how tall you are, and your saddle height? Hard part of jumping on these is not knowing if it'll fit and, especially, not knowing whether or not a future version might fit even better. Looks to me like youre making this one work despite being on the tall side though.

frank_a

Jul 15, 2016, 9:49:45 PM7/15/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Iamkeith,
I'm just a hair under 6' tall, PBH is 85.5~86. My saddle hit is 75.5. Grant's suggested PBH range for this one is 83 to 88. So I'm just about dead center of that. It's not a traditional look but that's what my custom Rivs are for :^).
- Frank

Joe Bernard

Jul 15, 2016, 10:03:31 PM7/15/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
It's cool in a funky way (no, I can't explain this). I dig the matte green.

jeffrey kane

Jul 16, 2016, 10:17:42 AM7/16/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
That thing is cool looking! The TIG / Riv ... who knew (?). I'm guessing that drilled crowns and bridges are less costly at the manufacturing level but that bike would look pretty sharp with canti's IMO.

Chris Lampe 2

Jul 16, 2016, 11:17:00 AM7/16/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
The matte green really works on this bike, but then, I'm a fan of matte colors!

I would love for RBW to do an RB version based on a Hunq/Bomba fork, with big clearance, cantilevers, sized for a mid-80's PBH and offered for pre-order at a good financial time for me.  That's not too much to ask, is it?  ;>)

Bill

Jul 16, 2016, 1:33:59 PM7/16/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I think Grant puts lots of time, thought and effort into the name, decals, color, and head badge so it coherently matches the remaining physical properties of the bike. IMHO he really got it right on the Roscoe as he always does. That's something that differentiates Rivs from most everything in the marketplace.

Chris Lampe 2

Jul 16, 2016, 2:45:42 PM7/16/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Agreed.  The final Roscoe came out so much better looking than the illustration and even the prototype!  It's actually up there among my favorite Riv's right now.

All Roscoes are going to share the same head badge and decals, aren't they?

Jon in central Colorado

Jul 16, 2016, 6:10:52 PM7/16/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
That's a clean looking bike. Love the matte finish.
Do you have to deflate the tires to remove the 47 wheels???
You will enjoy that bike for sure.
Jon

Lungimsam

Jul 17, 2016, 1:54:22 AM7/17/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Nice!!
My congratulations on your use of a sprung saddle!!! I use sprung saddles, too.

David Banzer

Jul 17, 2016, 11:25:46 AM7/17/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Looking back at photos of the first prototype, it's a different bike than what materialized - the prototype had a much taller front end and used a cantilever-brake fork.
David
Chicago

Joe Bernard

Jul 17, 2016, 12:01:29 PM7/17/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I believe the blue one I saw Grant riding has a Hunqa fork; #3 is smaller and uses a Sam fork (road brakes). Other than size and brakes, they look like the same design to me.

James Warren

Jul 17, 2016, 12:17:08 PM7/17/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Wasn't the plan going to be that they are not going to be a homogenous batch of frames, because they are making them for a semi-hodgepodge of pre-existing forks?

Sent from my iPhone

Jack Barnes

Jul 18, 2016, 12:31:09 AM7/18/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hey Frank, what stem is that? Looks sharp with the Boscos.

Surlyprof

Jul 18, 2016, 6:21:57 PM7/18/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
What a truly unique and fun bike. I got to see a similar colored one at Riv HQ this weekend.  That flat green may now be my favorite Riv color ever.

Congrats on taking such a worthwhile leap.
John

frank_a

Jul 18, 2016, 9:59:45 PM7/18/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
The stem is an older Nitto- I think it's an MT-11. You can still get them with a 25.4 quill diamond. But this one is 22.2.

frank_a

Jul 18, 2016, 10:09:03 PM7/18/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I dialed things in a bit...I changed the saddle to a B-68 and the cranks from 170 to 175. The longer crank seems to work better for this set-up. While there is no frame pump peg it's not a problem. The Topeak Master Blaster 54-59 pump fits perfectly between the tubes and doesn't budge.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the other RB's turn out.

- Frank

frank_a

Jul 18, 2016, 10:12:28 PM7/18/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Edit:
Predictive text changed "diam." to diamond in the Nitto stem response post.
- F.

Philip Kim

Jul 19, 2016, 3:28:14 PM7/19/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
The matte is really nice. Looks like it would be a really cool city ripper.