New Bike Day (Rosco Road 53cm)

dstein

Jan 9, 2017, 7:12:01 PM1/9/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
In my never ending quest for a 700c road-ish bike (for my short ass at 5'7") with drop bars and wide (over 33mm) tires I've finally landed on a Rosco Bubbe road! I road the demo a few weeks back and really liked it, it felt more spritely than other Riv drop bar road-ish bikes I've ridden. I've never ridden the Rodeo or Legolas but I bet its more along those lines.

Bought the frame over the holidays when that 10% coupon along with a few parts I knew I needed to complete a build. Repurposed several others, including some RM-013 Nitto dirt drop bars I've had hanging around (which I forgot were 26.0 and sent me looking for a new stem). And was able to score a really nice A23 wheelset off the ibob list for not too much money.

Finally got it all together today and was able to take on a short 3-mile neighborhood jaunt. Love this bike so far. The g-one tires are great, I thought the clearance on this maxed out at 40mm but I think it'll go 50mm (not sure what tires I'd want to put on that are wider but open to suggestions if you got 'em). The one thing I think I'll change is the sugino xd2 double (40/26) to get a higher top gear, thinking about a 46/30 (which will allow me to put this double back on the quickbeam as a 40/34 crank).

Just in time for more rain and a work trip (hard to complain about rain in california and the coming weekend is looking nice for an extended ride).

Bill Lindsay

Jan 9, 2017, 7:18:11 PM1/9/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
APPROVE!!

Don Compton

Jan 9, 2017, 8:42:59 PM1/9/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Looks like a fun bike. Thumbs up!!!

Dave Johnston

Jan 9, 2017, 10:05:35 PM1/9/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Cool bike,  I considered it myself as a single speed but then realized I already had lots of bikes, including one 700c fully built up and another frame I was going to do as a 650b single. (but neither will handle a 40+mm tire) I would suggest putting the brake levers lower on the curve, can you even reach them from the drops? Whatever is comfortable for you is best though.

David B in Chicago will sell you 46-30 Willow chainrings for cheap that will fit that crank.
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rbw-owners-bunch/we6pUs6ilFI/LytKlFNrAgAJ

 To fit a 46t middle you might have to make your own guard or get one from BBG.
 http://shop.bbgbashguard.com/products/110-bcd-46t50t54t-black

-Dave J

Michael Hechmer

Jan 10, 2017, 8:01:12 AM1/10/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Very nice.  It's nice to see a pretty road bike here; it seems like most of the posts concern off road or commuting issues.

Now I know it doesn't rain often in Ca., but don't you think a nice pair of hammered fenders would add even more bling?  BTW, the temperatures here have been hovering in single numbers for quite a while.  But warmer temps are on the way - like 32.  Unfortunately the forecast also calls for a day and a night of rain.

I am retreating to my wood shop and quietly cutting dovetails for a big bunch of drawers.

Michael,
Westford, VT

Philip Kim

Jan 10, 2017, 8:42:20 AM1/10/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
look great! that color is awesome

Ryan Fleming

Jan 10, 2017, 9:00:27 AM1/10/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
looks like a fun bike!

Daniel Betancourt

Jan 10, 2017, 9:29:43 AM1/10/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Nice looking bike!!

Clayton.sf

Jan 10, 2017, 10:58:21 AM1/10/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
good work! I second some honjo fenders front current riding/swimming.

Clayton Scott
SF, CA

Mark in Beacon

Jan 10, 2017, 2:13:56 PM1/10/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Sharp looking bicycle in an understated but not boring color. Reading between the lines of a recent post on the Rivendell site, it does seem these bikes are being built with a lighter tubeset than the country style road/trail machines, but that's just a guess. The head badge alone is worth the price of admission on these bikes. (I like it sans fenders--to me, sloping tt and tig welded does not cry out for mudguards from a purely aesthetic point of view. And, especially if it doesn't rain much in your neck of the woods, why fuss it up? )

Bill Lindsay

Jan 10, 2017, 2:19:30 PM1/10/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
It's been raining a great deal in the Bay Area (CA) and so I'm happy I have mudguards on "McCarthy" (my 58cm Rosco Road).  While noodling through the downpour this morning, I was meditating on Rule #9 and also contemplating removing the fenders and putting on a set of Bruce Gordon Rock and Roads and using McCarthy for Strada Rossa!  That would be kickass!

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

Ryan Fleming

Jan 10, 2017, 2:22:21 PM1/10/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
agree...I kind of like it the way it is now. I like the color, I like the build...if you  have  to put fenders on it the cream SKS fenders might look nice with that bronze paint job. Sounds like it rides great.

David Stein

Jan 10, 2017, 2:32:22 PM1/10/17
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Yeah I go back and forth with fenders all the time. I have some for another bike but they're not currently mounted, I keep putting it off and we're halfway through the rainy season already. I rarely if ever ride in the rain and am usually not bothered with wet roads after a rain without fenders, and with 6 consecutive months out of the year here with no rain I tend to opt not to run them.

Ryan Fleming

Jan 10, 2017, 3:04:38 PM1/10/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Glad to hear it....you guys seriously need the rain I understand

In Winnipeg we've had about 80cm of snow since early December

Maybe that's why we haven't heard from my  reasonably close neighbor  , Mr. Reimer. I hope he's not buried under a snowdrift, although he is such a hardy (and smart ) guy, I don't think we need to be worried

Bill Lindsay

Jan 10, 2017, 3:57:44 PM1/10/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Mark Reimer is cozy in a snow cave, more likely.

Ryan Fleming

Jan 10, 2017, 4:25:12 PM1/10/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
yeah hibernating in a quinzee

ted

Jan 10, 2017, 9:27:51 PM1/10/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Seems more like 8 or 9 months with no rain to me (didn't the rainy season just start last week?). However I still like keeping fenders on my commute bike year round. Good for puddles and such, nice they are already there if rain erupts, and makes a great place to put a pixio xba. With the country bike its on and off every year. Takes me forever to mount fenders the first time, but after that off or on is really quite quick and easy.

Surlyprof

Jan 11, 2017, 12:53:04 AM1/11/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Congrats, Dave. I fell in love with that bronze at Riv HQ. Nice choice on the blue tape, too. Gonna be tougher than ever keeping up with you now!

John

Les Lammers

Jan 11, 2017, 11:59:04 AM1/11/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Very nice! All of the Rosco frames are rather unique.

Evan E.

Jan 11, 2017, 8:51:27 PM1/11/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Beautiful bike, Dave! Can't wait to see it in person.