Cambium VS. B-17 question

jinxed

Jul 27, 2015, 9:20:03 PM7/27/15
to RBW Owners Bunch
For those that have ridden both, and tend to ride their B17 "nose up", do you find you have to orient the Cambium the same? The nose up B17 works well for me, but when I venture off road it's not very friendly and has caused some problems. I'm hoping the Cambium with it's claimed "broken in" B17 out of the box comfort can be run close to level. I realize everyone is different, but if you've run a B17 and a C17, I'd love to hear your comparisons on setup.

I have been wanting to try a Cambium for some time, and might seek one out based on this.

Johnny Alien

Jul 28, 2015, 7:32:28 AM7/28/15
to RBW Owners Bunch, hbc...@yahoo.com
Do you start to run the B17 more level once it's broken in?  I don't ride nose up but have found the C17 feels most comfortable set up just like the standard B17.

Matthew J

Jul 28, 2015, 9:30:11 AM7/28/15
to RBW Owners Bunch, hbc...@yahoo.com
An early Cambium adopter, it has been awhile since I rode on a B17.  My Cambiums are set up flat.  Closer to how I used to set up the Berthoud saddles than Brooks.

Jeff Lesperance

Jul 28, 2015, 9:39:16 AM7/28/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
When riding B-17 and B-17n saddles, I do setup with a slight nose-up angle. I've done something similar with my Cambium C17 and C17 carved saddles, though maybe slightly less of an angle, closer to flat. Prior to moving to Cambium C17 saddles, the B17n was my saddle of choice for anything more than a short distance recreational ride. At this point, I'm swapping over to C17 carved on nearly all my bikes.

-Jeff
Silver Spring, MD

On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 9:20 PM, 'jinxed' via RBW Owners Bunch <rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
For those that have ridden both, and tend to ride their B17 "nose up", do you find you have to orient the Cambium the same? The nose up B17 works well for me, but when I venture off road it's not very friendly and has caused some problems. I'm hoping the Cambium with it's claimed "broken in" B17 out of the box comfort can be run close to level. I realize everyone is different, but if you've run a B17 and a C17, I'd love to hear your comparisons on setup.

I have been wanting to try a Cambium for some time, and might seek one out based on this.

Kieran J

Jul 28, 2015, 9:44:05 AM7/28/15
to RBW Owners Bunch, hbc...@yahoo.com
It's funny because I know a lot of people ride the C17, but I didn't find that it resembled a broken-in B17 in any way when I tried one. I rode it for about 2 days before taking it off and selling it. It mostly felt like a semi-hard rubber saddle with a very rounded top.

It seems to me the whole idea of an adjustable leather saddle is that it conforms to you. Maybe that does actually happen over time with the C17 but it certainly didn't do that "out of the box". The only saddle I can say that about is the SA Titanico.

KJ

Arthur Mayfield

Jul 28, 2015, 10:44:35 AM7/28/15
to RBW Owners Bunch, hbc...@yahoo.com
I ride my C-17 (carved) flat. I also have one of the first batch of uncarved C-17s that I haven't ridden in a while, but I think I set it up flat as well. I do tend to move the Cambiums a centimeter or so further back than the B-17. For my B-17 I tilt the nose just barely above flat. There's no break in period with Cambium saddles, btw. A few thousand miles on mine and they're just like they were from the start, with the exception that the fabric surface is a bit smoother and the natural color has a bit of patina from friction and exposure. I like the look and love my Cambiums.

jinxed

Jul 28, 2015, 12:20:34 PM7/28/15
to RBW Owners Bunch, johnn...@verizon.net
No, if anything it's the opposite. It doesn't seem to matter if I re-tension, adjust height or fore/aft positioning either. Again, it's not a problem unless I'm riding in the dirt with some technical terrain. The B17 is the only saddle I've used that required a nose up tilt for me to be comfortable on.

Justin August

Jul 28, 2015, 12:28:56 PM7/28/15
to RBW Owners Bunch, johnn...@verizon.net, hbc...@yahoo.com
After putting in some miles on the C17S I decided to switch back to my B17. I think they feel pretty different - the C17 was nowhere near the broken in feel of my B17. I _want_ to have a a more weather-proofed saddle and may go down the WTB SSTx rabbit hole soon. However for me the solution wasn't the C17. It felt too harsh and had no give.

Perhaps adjust your B17 to be more flat when you go on the trail and see how that works? Maybe tension out the bolt a bit as well?

-J

Mark Reimer

Jul 28, 2015, 2:48:24 PM7/28/15
to RBW Owners Bunch, johnn...@verizon.net, hbc...@yahoo.com, justin...@icloud.com
I ride my B17 special very nose-up. People often say OUCH that looks painful! They just don't understand... My C17 is pretty much dead flat. I agree that they don't feel the same. They are both wide and flat, but the B17 special has a lot more give, and that hammock feel. The C17 is not a hammock. but it IS quite forgiving and comfortable. I use the B17 on my Atlantis for long rides. The C17 is on my single speed CX bike which I use for ripping around fast and light, riding in the rain, etc. The C17 is also a great mountain biking saddle.

jinxed

Jul 28, 2015, 4:31:06 PM7/28/15
to RBW Owners Bunch, johnn...@verizon.net, justin...@icloud.com, markn...@gmail.com
This is exactly what I was wondering. YES, mine is a special as well and I get the same comments. The B17 works great on my Atlantis with albatross bars, but on my Rambler with drops is where I'm having issue. I have a fizik tundra on my CX bike and it's level, thin, flat, and very little give but is plenty comfortable for 60+ mi rides. My Rambler is like my CX pick up truck so I like having the bag loops for my carradice, and honestly the water resistance of the C17 would be welcome.

Lungimsam

Jul 29, 2015, 2:22:26 AM7/29/15
to RBW Owners Bunch
Brooks told me a sprung Cambium type saddle is planned for 2016.

Matthew J

Jul 29, 2015, 11:31:00 AM7/29/15
to RBW Owners Bunch, john1...@gmail.com
> Brooks told me a sprung Cambium type saddle is planned for 2016.

Interesting.  With luck this means Brooks will also have an unsprung but wider, shorter Cambium for more upright riding.  Maybe with dimensions between the Berthoud Marie Blanc and Mente.