Kickstand Props

Doug H.

May 17, 2017, 10:19:16 AM5/17/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I haven't had a kickstand on a bicycle since...I don't remember when. My Mongoose BMX didn't have one back in the 80s and none since have been adorned with one. But, I now see that equipping a bike to be self supporting is logical and convenient. My plan is to order the Pletscher one leg from Riv when it's back in stock. Any feedback about this stand or others would be much appreciated.

Doug

Surlyprof

May 17, 2017, 10:40:15 AM5/17/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Doug,

I really liked the pletscher double as long as you have tire clearance. I encountered a little tire rubbing during hard pedaling. I was using Smart Sam 45s on a Hillborne so the clearances were already a little tight. Swapped it for a single and picked up a few more mms of clearance.

John

René Sterental

May 17, 2017, 11:07:06 AM5/17/17
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Beware that the double stand when used against the kickstand plate in the frame alone is not recommended by RBW since a few plates have been bent/broken. They only recommend the single one. If you want to use the double, they recommend using the top/bottom plates that attach to the chain stays, but may marr them.

I have switched all my bikes to single kickstands, although for several years I used the double on my Atlantis with no ill effects.

René

Ron Mc

May 17, 2017, 11:20:16 AM5/17/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
On, every bike that will take it, I have an Esge (Pletscher) stand - currently all singles.
I have two bikes that the chainstay bridge was intentionally made too close to the BB to allow for a kickstand - it's to protect the light tubing from being crushed by the kickstand clamp.
On both of those bikes I use this yuppie UpStand, which adds a steel boss at the Q/R skewer, and a strong magnet inside the carbon stand.

It works quite well, clips to a bottle cage boss clamp when not in use.  But if your tires are 32mm or over, I recommend their 29er stand - otherwise the angle may flip your bike over

drew

May 17, 2017, 12:22:48 PM5/17/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
i like the pletscher single. get the little foot too. Like Rene says, the double is not good for the kickstand plate. mine got bent with it, but i took it off before it pulled away from the chainstay.  i dont really like the idea of something that can rip welded metal apart on my bike, even with the additional top hardware.

it is a shame, because the 2 leg kickstand is way more stable and really great for touring when you have a heavy, loaded, floppy bike. i have been curious about other, maybe less powerful, 2 leg stands, but havent seen any hyper convincing reviews.

Deacon Patrick

May 17, 2017, 12:46:34 PM5/17/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Also, be aware of the obvious few facts that the more loaded your bike the more challenging it is on the stand, as well as the rougher/looser the terrain the less useful a stand. For the riding I do, I gave up stands as they were more often than not "delayed falls" rather than stands. Grin. But I'm a big ogre with big ogre loads in big ogre terrain, so I'm likely the exception.

With abandon,
Patrick

Patrick Moore

May 17, 2017, 12:53:04 PM5/17/17
to rbw-owners-bunch
FWIW, back when I had a more or less dedicated grocery beater, after trying 2 or 3 different types of 2-legged stands and finding that none held the bike up securely with asymmetrically and heavily (>15 lb each) rear panniers (and even with symmetrical loads, the bike could easily be knocked over), I switched to a cheap Greenfield stand mounted at the left rear dropout, and found that this did hold up unevenly loaded rear panniers, at least, it did so better than the 2-leggers.

I recall trying the Pletscher and VO 2-leggers, but I know that there is another that is said to be considerably wider. At any rate, the Greenfield worked better for me than the first 2. And it's cheap. And it allowed me to wheel the bike thru the aisles with the stand down -- something you can't do with other types of stand and a fixed drivetrain.

If I were to use a stand again (and I'm not planning to), I'd go back to the Greenfield; in fact, I kept it -- still have it.

30% Supply and Demand discount, listmembers only, on all resume, LinkedIn, and writing services, until Demand equals Supply! And there's more! 10% kickback for any referral resulting in fully paid, list-price contract. And still more!  I am offering services in trade for a road bike, or frame and parts, that are period compatible with my AM hub, circa 1937 to 1961. See my website for what I do and what I charge; email for details.

Other professional writing services.
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, Nouvelle Mexique,  Vereinigte Staaten

René Sterental

Patrick Moore

May 17, 2017, 1:47:06 PM5/17/17
to rbw-owners-bunch
Does Pletscher make this sort of rear-mount single legger? A quick Google shows that they do. At any rate, copy or not, the Greenfield is cheap and available everywhere in the US, and it's only defect is that it is ugly and heavy. It works fine, or at least the several I've installed have all worked fine.

drew

May 17, 2017, 2:57:44 PM5/17/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
ok, im interested. questions-

Is the rear drop out area an inherently more stable place for a kickstand than the bottom bracket area?
Is there any risk of chain/seatstay damage with those?
Does that placement encourage more front floppage?

Ron Mc

May 17, 2017, 4:04:26 PM5/17/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
drew, BB is definitely more stable with a kickstand.
With my rear stand, I can support a front bag if I use a velcro strap around the front wheel and downtube

Patrick, Pletscher also makes rear kickstands
http://www.thorusa.com/accessories/pletscher.htm

Patrick Moore

May 17, 2017, 4:15:14 PM5/17/17
to rbw-owners-bunch
Not at all in my experience, in which a dropout mounted Greenfield was much more stable than either kind of bb-area mounted stand, single legged or double legged. IME, which is extensive, the dropout mount was most stable, the double legged Pletscher and VO bb mount stands next, and the single leg bb area stand the least stable. This from years of loading rear panniers asymmetrically and heavily with each type of stand.

I hear that there is a very wide double legger; in fact, saw it online recently; perhaps that's better than a dropout mount stand; but IME again, not the VO or the Pletscher.

Patrick Moore

May 17, 2017, 4:18:42 PM5/17/17
to rbw-owners-bunch
I can't answer "inherently," but practically, the answer is no, at least for the stands I've used.

Does the front wheel flop? Yes, but if the stand is cut to the right length, that affects the stability far less than with a single legged bb area stand. Wheel position does affect stability more than with a 2-legger bb stand, but if you angle the wheel right, the load stays up better than with the 2-leggers, all earlier qualifications maintained.

Ron Mc

May 17, 2017, 5:02:23 PM5/17/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Patrick, if you think about moment of inertia, the farther the center of mass is away from the prop point, the lower the stability.
If you're standing a big rear load, a rear-mounted kickstand should be more stable.
If you have loaded rando bag, the opposite is true and the mass of the rando bag can flip the bike over the stand if the bike is leaning far enough.

Patrick Moore

May 17, 2017, 5:33:14 PM5/17/17
to rbw-owners-bunch
I've never had success with single leg bb stands and baskets; can't say I've ever tried a rear dropout stand with a front basket; but think I can see how a heavy front load might topple a bike with a rear dropout stand. I can also see that a 2-legged stand mounted closer to the front might well be more stable for a heavy front load.

So, Drew, the answer to your question is, in very technical terms, "it depends."

Ron Mc

May 17, 2017, 5:41:06 PM5/17/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Both of my bikes that won't fit a BB kickstand also have front bags.

With the rear stand, they behave very well if I use a velcro strap to keep the front wheel and downtube aligned.

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 3:02 PM, Ron Mc <bulld...@gmail.com> wrote:
Patrick, if you think about moment of inertia, the farther the center of mass is away from the prop point, the lower the stability.
If you're standing a big rear load, a rear-mounted kickstand should be more stable.
If you have loaded rando bag, the opposite is true and the mass of the rando bag can flip the bike over the stand if the bike is leaning far enough.

Eric Daume

May 17, 2017, 8:07:43 PM5/17/17
to rbw-owners-bunch
In my experience, a rear mounted kickstand is much more stable with a front load. The front wheel may flop over, but it doesn't take the bike down, whereas a front wheel flop seems to easily take down a mid mounted kick stand.

Eric

Tim Gavin

May 18, 2017, 9:10:06 AM5/18/17
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
My experience directly contradicts Eric D's*.
My two bikes (Riv Road, and '88 Schwinn KOM) with chainstay-mounted kickstands are eager to fall over from front wheel flop.  My Riv Road has fallen over (or nearly so) several times.  Even if I settle the front wheel myself before taking my hand off, a 5lb load in the front rando bag will still tip the bike over.

As Ron Mc suggested, a strap or bungie between the front wheel and down tube keeps the bike stable on its rear kickstand.

*No offense to Eric D; there are probably tons of variables accounting for the different experience.  How low is the kickstand mount (BB or rear axle)?  How long is the kickstand itself?  How much front load, and load location?  And front geometry, high or low trail, etc.

Doug H.

May 21, 2017, 10:47:44 AM5/21/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks for all of the informative feedback. I'll probably go with the Pletscher that Riv sells, with the boot as recommended.
Doug