Speaking of Fenders

bluebirdonabicycle

Jun 9, 2016, 6:19:49 PM6/9/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Michael's comments and the follow up replies made me start thinking....So im starting this new thread so as not to derail Michaels.Plastic Fenders-never again.
Im buildinga new Riv Chevy-out. I want fenders and I also want big fat tires. Since 50mm tires are as big as can be put on it, you have to know how wide are the tires REALLY.
Which is about 46mm
Since I know nothing about installing fenders but I do have a Bike stand..(that should help) Im asking for some clarification among you fender installing pros.
Im considering the VO Zeppelin or the flutted aluminum fenders for good looks as well as long life.
But I think the 50mm Fender will only allow a 42mm ACTUAL width tire?
I also see they have a 63mm fender that will hold a 52 mm tire, but is that the actual tire width or the size of the tire?
How do you know if the fender is too big for the frame?
This is where it gets confusing, so any help is appreciated
Riv offers the SKS P50 for the chevy, but maybe a steel or Aluminum fender like the VO will hold up longer, better?
Just dont know anything.
Your comments are valued.

Thanks BBOB )

Lungimsam

Jun 9, 2016, 6:50:11 PM6/9/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Measure the width inside of the fork blades, seatstays, and chainstays to determine your max fender width.

There are different formulae for safe fender to tire size. I think boulder bikes recommends a fender 12 mm wider than your tire width.

Others will chome in with their opinions.

Ron Mc

Jun 9, 2016, 6:58:47 PM6/9/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
my daughter's upright has 42mm Soma SVs with 50mm SKS fenders - works, but not much room to spare.

Steve Palincsar

Jun 9, 2016, 7:03:27 PM6/9/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
It won't fit inside the fork crown and between the chain stays at the
bottom bracket shell. Serious remodeling will be required to make a
too-wide fender fit, and it's going to take a lot longer than you might
at first glance think.

Bill Lindsay

Jun 9, 2016, 7:43:15 PM6/9/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
If I was going to set up a Cheviut with fenders, I would run 38mm tires or narrower.  50mm without fenders sounds about right for the max.  I don't have a Cheviut but I have owned 4 different bikes with the exact same Tektro big mouth brake calipers.  I tried to get 42s and fenders on there, and it "fit" but it did not have proper clearance.  So I always ran 38 or narrower.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

Bill Lindsay

Jun 9, 2016, 7:44:29 PM6/9/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Oops, 5 different bikes.  I forgot about my wife's Yves Gomez, which runs 41mm Fatty Rumpkins without fenders.

Michael Hechmer

Jun 10, 2016, 5:59:56 AM6/10/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
This is true.  My wife, Pat, has a Betty Foy, and now my daughter, Suzanne, has a Chevy-ut.  The fender width on these frames is limited by the brake width.  P45's just fit, in fact with the QR open the fender is forced down onto the front tire.  Pat got the demo Betty and it came withP45s and the Fatty Bumpkin tires, which are 41 mm.  They just barely fit and the slightest misalignment caused them to rub.  I ended up putting the 41s on my Saluki, which has canti brakes &  big VO fenders.  I gave Pat my 38mm Marathon Racers and they fit fine.   Tires bigger than than 38 pretty much need cantis or V brakes.  Compass claims that their CP will go wider but they require unique studs.  I see that GP has designed the Clem for bigger posted brakes, which make more sense.  I would rather spend the extra setup time on good cantis than deal with a too tight brake-fender-tire combo.

Michael

Steve Palincsar

Jun 10, 2016, 6:29:22 AM6/10/16

On 06/10/2016 05:59 AM, Michael Hechmer wrote:
[...]

That's not a "claim," it's fact.

The Compass centerpull can be thought of as a Mafac RAID version 1.1.  The RAID was available in a bolt-on version, and I have that brake on my Kogswell P/R.  With the straddle cable Q/R undone, it opens wide enough that you never even notice the brake removing and replacing a 42mm Hetre.   The pivots are Mafac centerpull pivots, and if you have a pair of RAID backing plates you could mount Compass brakes on any bike set up for bolt-on centerpull brakes, so the studs aren't quite as "unique" as your statement makes them sound.  Thanks to the availability of the Compass centerpull, the price of Mafac RAIDs on ebay has stopped its meteoric rise; I just checked, and there's one set available right now complete with levers for $150 BIN, and another NOS for $299.  Compass makes the bushings, etc. available, so if someone wanted to, they could buy a set of RAIDs on ebay (all of which I've ever seen come with backing plates) and bring them up to the level of the Compass brakes.

Bottom line: if you're looking for a brake for your Rivendell that can easily fit a tire the width of a Hetre, Mafac RAID centerpulls are a viable option.

ascpgh

Jun 10, 2016, 7:08:20 AM6/10/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Pursuing the paradox of more (supple tire width, fenders, brake clearance of both without contact at rest), I just installed Paul Racers and Compass Stampede Passes on my fendered Rambouillet. The center mount Racer caliper does an amazing job of keeping clear of the space reserved for tire and fender clearance at rest or in use. No more rattles from fenders against lumpy brake arms from off-center bumps!

First impressions are exceedingly good on all functioning fronts, so much that I'm waiting until my miles tested assure validity before I pronounce the outcome an unqualified success.

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh

René Sterental

Jun 12, 2016, 12:47:19 AM6/12/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
On my Betty, the largest fenders I could fit were the 50mm steel Berthouds. The fit withbtheb42 Hetres was so tight the tire sometimes ribbed the nuts inside the fender. I downsized to the 38mm Compass tires and all has been good ever since. Good clearance and excellent quality of the ride.

On my Atlantis, which has a narrower a crown fork (custom low trail) I fit the same 50mm Berthouds with 40mm tires (previously) and now the Compass 38mm.

Recommend difference is 10-12mm, I believe.

René

Michael Hechmer

Jun 12, 2016, 6:56:17 PM6/12/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
My point was only that the Compass brakes are posted, and are now unique in set up..  You can't simply install them on any bike.
Michael

Gum N Nuts

Jun 20, 2016, 2:00:46 PM6/20/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm running 700x50 schwalbe marathon supremes under 700x60 berthoud fenders on a 60 cm chev. I had to trim the fenders in to accommodate the tektros but everything fits.

Jon in central Colorado

Jun 20, 2016, 2:23:49 PM6/20/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Do you have pictures of your 700 -50 marathons and your 700-60 Berthoud fender installation?
I would like to see. I ordered a 60 Cheviot.
Thanks,
Jon

Mark Reimer

Jun 20, 2016, 3:06:46 PM6/20/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
My Atlantis has Zepplin 50mm fenders that cover 43mm knobby Rock N Road tires. No problems with clearance there.

bluebirdonabicycle

Jun 20, 2016, 4:14:16 PM6/20/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I would also love to see some pix of your fenders 700x60 berthoud fenders on your Cheviot!
Thanks, BBOB

Clayton.sf

Jun 20, 2016, 4:43:15 PM6/20/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
50 SKS with 47mm mondials on my 60cm Chev.

Using a diacompe center pull on the front gave the necessary breathing room.

Best,
Clayton Scot
SF, CA

BSWP

Oct 30, 2016, 3:26:55 PM10/30/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
My new Riv-ish frame is going to sport Mafac RAIDs, with brazed posts on forks and seatstays, and I'll be running Compass 700c x 44mm tires, planning to use 52mm VO Zepplelins. I think I can live with the nominal 8mm over-coverage from that combo. I'll report back with impressions and images, but from all the Flickr pictures I've managed to find, those RAIDs can swallow quite wide tires and fenders.

- Andrew, Berkeley

René Sterental

Oct 30, 2016, 4:01:35 PM10/30/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I have the Compass version on my custom, which I believe is based on those. Plenty of allowance for 58mm Honjo fenders.

René