Thank you and "Enjoy the Ride!"

Deacon Patrick

Sep 13, 2016, 7:04:44 PM9/13/16
to Rivendell Owners Rivendell Owners Group
I’m going to be riding off a different direction. Thank you all on this group — you have helped me tremendously as I’ve dived into wrenching and fine tuning the my rides. I am grateful for all you’ve given me. May God startle you with joy!

Joe Bernard

Sep 13, 2016, 7:09:18 PM9/13/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Dude, where you going? You're quite welcome to ride off in different directions while still talking about stuff.

Chris Birkenmaier

Sep 13, 2016, 7:25:58 PM9/13/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Well I hope you change your mind about leaving. I always enjoyed your posts. All the best to you though!

Tony DeFilippo

Sep 13, 2016, 7:37:08 PM9/13/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
We'll miss your contributions Patrick, I hope you'll pass back through at some point.

Tony

drew

Sep 13, 2016, 7:43:18 PM9/13/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Definitely sad! Some of the best and wildest posts. Ill miss them. I hope something didn't happen that caused a permanent resigned departure. Why not just take a break while you go explore?

WETH

Sep 13, 2016, 7:51:57 PM9/13/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Dear Patrick,
Godspeed and may God continue to startle you with joy!
Thanks for all your help on this group. I will miss your insights.
Best wishes,
Erl

Patrick Moore

Sep 13, 2016, 8:28:27 PM9/13/16
to rbw-owners-bunch
Oh, don't go! We need you!

Seriously, please stay on board.

Other professional writing services.
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, Nouvelle Mexique,  Vereinigte Staaten
The point which is the pivot of the norm is the motionless center of a circumference on the contours of which all conditions, distinctions, and individualities revolve. Chuang Tzu

Stat crux dum volvitur orbis. (The cross stands motionless while the world revolves.) Carthusian motto

It is we who change; He remains the same. Eckhart

Kinei hos eromenon. (It moves [all things] as the beloved.) Aristotle

JohnS

Sep 13, 2016, 8:30:28 PM9/13/16
to RBW Owners Bunch, lamon...@mac.com
Thank you Patrick for all that you've shared with the group. I've always greatly enjoyed your ride stories, photos and insights. You'll be missed and I wish you well.

JohnS

ascpgh

Sep 14, 2016, 4:52:28 AM9/14/16
to RBW Owners Bunch, lamon...@mac.com
I hope all goes well for you Patrick. It would be an understatement to say how much enjoyment your posts have brought. Insight and experience from all corners. This has been much more than a one way encounter.

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh

Takashi

Sep 14, 2016, 5:08:19 AM9/14/16
to RBW Owners Bunch, lamon...@mac.com
Thank you Patrick, your posts and pictures have always inspired me very much.

Takashi

islaysteve

Sep 14, 2016, 6:24:50 AM9/14/16
to RBW Owners Bunch, lamon...@mac.com
Patrick, I too have greatly enjoyed your insights, stories, point of view, positive attitude and photos.  I wish you all the best in your new direction and hope that you will visit us again and share your thoughts and journey.  Cheers,
Steve

Matt B.

Sep 14, 2016, 7:44:40 AM9/14/16
to RBW Owners Bunch, lamon...@mac.com
yeah what they said!  different direction or not, if you're riding, keep posting!

René Sterental

Sep 14, 2016, 9:25:18 AM9/14/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com, lamon...@mac.com
Patrick,

Thank you for your inspiration and counsel. I will miss your regular posts and adventures reminding me of what to aim for. You enriched my life in many ways, even if I've been slow to heed your counsel. But it's there as a beacon. Don't doubt it.

I hope you stay. I hope to be able to visit you one day.

René

Shoji Takahashi

Sep 14, 2016, 9:35:56 AM9/14/16
to RBW Owners Bunch, lamon...@mac.com
Patrick,
I will miss reading your posts, adventures, and insights. I hope our paths will cross again.

Best wishes,
Shoji

Howard Hatten

Sep 14, 2016, 10:48:32 AM9/14/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Cool dude. I'll miss your posts.

Howard
Livonia Mi

Clayton

Sep 14, 2016, 10:56:57 AM9/14/16
to RBW Owners Bunch, lamon...@mac.com
You are loved on this forum. Everyone loves your posts. I love your posts. Don't go. Please!  Whatever or whoever caused this decision, is bad, Mkay?

Those who might not like your posts, can go sit on a barbed wire wrapped baseball bat. (I doubt there are any).

Peace out, stay happy!

Clayton Bailey

Abcyclehank

Sep 14, 2016, 11:36:09 AM9/14/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Patrick Deacon-

Simply put..... thanks for the blessings....and happy trails.

Sincerely,
Ryan Hankinson
Muskegon, MI

Surlyprof

Sep 14, 2016, 12:18:30 PM9/14/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Patrick,

Thanks for all the inspiration and great advice. To state the obvious... you will be missed.

Enjoy your ride, too.
John

John

Sep 14, 2016, 12:31:54 PM9/14/16
to RBW Owners Bunch, lamon...@mac.com
Come on Big Guy, go for a ride and get it out of your system, take some photos, and show us how it's done!

No sulking!

John

Bill Lindsay

Sep 14, 2016, 3:39:03 PM9/14/16
to RBW Owners Bunch, lamon...@mac.com
I hope you aren't leaving us because we insist on using the term "cockpit" to refer to a bicycle's handlebar assembly.

"sardonic grin"
and
"with abandon"

tailwinds

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

Allingham II, Thomas J. (Retired Partner)

Sep 14, 2016, 4:40:29 PM9/14/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Patrick:

This is terribly disappointing.  Your posts and pictures, and also your wide-ranging discussions, have been inspiring and thought-provoking for me – we are not always in agreement, but your manifest enjoyment of life (not just bikes, but bikes, too!) has been a great joy to see on this list.

Like others, I hope you're not leaving because of a slight, real or perceived, in something posted on this site.  I believe there is genuine respect for you here, as a number of replies in this thread eloquently reflect.  Perhaps you'll reconsider, but whether you do or not, I wish you the very best in your travels in your new direction.  Stop in and see us from time to time!

Very best,

Tom

The sender of this email is a retired partner of Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP ("Skadden") and is not performing legal service on behalf of Skadden. Use by a retired partner of the skadden.com or probonolaw.com domain names is in his/her personal capacity and not on behalf of Skadden or its affiliates.

Bernie Burton

Sep 14, 2016, 4:59:39 PM9/14/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Patrick--

Dominus Vobiscum!

Bernie Burton

On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 3:40 PM, Allingham II, Thomas J. (Retired Partner) <Thomas.A...@skadden.com> wrote:

[...]

Grant @ Rivendell

Sep 14, 2016, 6:36:26 PM9/14/16
to RBW Owners Bunch, lamon...@mac.com
downhill eCumbents?<---dat da diff direction?

pm me please, P.

Evan E.

Sep 14, 2016, 10:52:09 PM9/14/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Deacon Patrick,

No! Please stay. But if you really must go, then please DO stop by at least once a month, OK?

I will sorely miss your thoughts and your pictures and your buoyant spirit. And as this thread shows, I am not alone!

Evan

Bob K.

Sep 15, 2016, 7:17:34 AM9/15/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Agreed with all.

DP, I'd like to keep living vicariously through you and your glorious rides through the mountains! They serve as great reminders of my boyhood fly fishing expeditions with my late father in Wyoming and Montana.

Bob

Stephen Kemp

Sep 15, 2016, 7:24:27 AM9/15/16
to RBW Owners Bunch, lamon...@mac.com
Always up there in the "Most active posters" tables... Always with adventures to share... Owner of my two favourite bikes on this group...

I will miss you Patrick - good luck, whatever your next adventure is.

Stephen

Julian

Sep 15, 2016, 7:44:54 AM9/15/16
to RBW Owners Bunch, lamon...@mac.com
Patrick,

I'm sorry to hear this. Your indomitable joyous spirit shone in all of your posts, and you are a major asset to this list.

Best of luck.

Julian, who will be riding to work shortly, but today with abandon in honor of Patrick, Westerhout

Bloomington, IL

Justin August

Sep 15, 2016, 9:29:46 AM9/15/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Oh man! I bet he got the only existing Rawland Ravn and is starting a one man Ravn Owners Bunch!

But seriously, I hope you have folks to share your adventures with and engage in lively, civil and amusing conversations with. Perhaps that will be this group in the future and I personally would be interested in knowing reasons why it isn't or what you are looking for currently.

Enjoy YOUR ride with abandon,
Justin

BenG

Sep 15, 2016, 10:13:43 AM9/15/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
The LORD bless you
and keep you;
the LORD make his face shine on you
and be gracious to you;
the LORD turn his face toward you
and give you peace.

Numbers 6:24-26

RichS

Sep 15, 2016, 3:58:07 PM9/15/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
DP, there isn't much more to say after so many kind words have been extolled by the group. It's touching and deeply felt. Wishing you all the best and if you ever decide on a second act here you'll be welcome with open arms and many grins:) :) ;) :) :)

Take care!
Richard

Grant Petersen

Sep 15, 2016, 7:53:19 PM9/15/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
If DP was sincere (and we all believe he was), then I doubt he's sitting home reading the gush and glowing...which isn't to say slow down on it, just that...he might not be actually reading it.

I asked him to call and he did and I said whuddup, and he sounded as he always has (we've spoken to him A LOT over the years), and I asked if there was an event that lead to this, or like, if he was reacting to something somebody may have said or something, and he laughed that off and said No---------Tho I don't remember his exact words, he said something along the lines of he just wanted to spend less time online. Remember, he has had a remarkable life and continues to live a life much different than most of us do, and it's not a surprise that he OD's at a lower dose than the rest of us. He seemed as happy as ever, I'm glad to report!

Robert Barr

Sep 15, 2016, 7:58:50 PM9/15/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Grant, I had suspected as much. Bob

Joe Bernard

Sep 15, 2016, 9:38:26 PM9/15/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks for the followup, GP. I OD at low levels, too, but I'm not smart enough to back away when I get there!

ascpgh

Sep 15, 2016, 10:04:18 PM9/15/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
The concern over DP's vector change clearly showed the impact that his out of the ordinary life and shared narrative provided the group.

I always heard that charity and good acts are meaningless if observing their delivery is necessary. I think this list truly would want him to hear their departing salutations, compliments and tidings, but if they go unheard they are still as true. A tree has fallen in the woods...

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh

On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 12:58 PM, RichS <rshann...@gmail.com> wrote:
DP, there isn't much more to say after so many kind words have been extolled by the group. It's touching and deeply felt. Wishing you all the best and if you ever decide on a second act here you'll be welcome with open arms and many grins:) :) ;) :) :)

Take care!
Richard

true

Sep 16, 2016, 9:51:03 AM9/16/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Deacon Patrick,

I will also miss your posts.
You have been an inspiration.

God's best to you and your family.

Here's hoping you check in every so often.
Either way safe pedaling.

Paul in Dallas

masmojo

Sep 17, 2016, 10:53:34 AM9/17/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I totally understand where hes coming from, in my 48 years as a cyclist it's always been just one of many interests and my interest in cycling waxes and wanes.
People come and go from the list, but just generally their comings and goings are not highlighted.
At some point my bike builds will stabilize & I'll just get on with riding and probably not visit much either. I think that is probably true with most people, but DP is fairly unique in his deliberateness.

Patrick Moore

Leaf Slayer

Sep 17, 2016, 3:43:55 PM9/17/16
to RBW Owners Bunch

On Saturday, September 17, 2016 at 8:31:16 AM UTC-7, Patrick Moore wrote:
I expect that Patrick hasn't so much lost interest in cycling as in cycling lists, given what I've heard about the benefit that cycling, and in particular, Rivendellian/Grantian cycling has had to his life. I know another Patrick who ought to spend less time bothering cycling lists ...

I can sorta relate. I use to be a frequent contributor to this list and certainly checked-in on it daily. I don't think it was time wasted at all and am quite grateful for everything it showed me or encouraged me to see. After my daughter was born, there just wasn't the time, or energy, to follow this list as closely. My riding scaled back a bit. And in fact, I even sold my Hilsen. I still cycle daily and have even branched out my cycling by returning to mountain biking (I sold my Hilsen to buy a Krampus). I peek in on the Riv website from time to time and enjoy it. My LHT is set-up in a very Rivish manner with Noodles, Brooks, VP platform pedals, Sugino cranks, etc. But I have some other bikes which are less Rivish.  Some of you I still follow on Flickr. I continue to post on Flickr but not quite as frequently. My daughter just turned 3. It's amazing how the time flies. I'm stuck at work today but it's slowed down for the moment. Wishing you all the best. My favorite part of this list has always been and remains ride reports. Keep them coming.

--mike

Leaf Slayer

Sep 17, 2016, 3:53:51 PM9/17/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I should add that I really enjoyed DP's humor and insights. He deactivated his Flickr page a while back. He had some great images on that.

--mike

Patrick Moore

Sep 17, 2016, 3:55:36 PM9/17/16
to rbw-owners-bunch
Mike: what are those dangerously heresy-skirting "other bikes"? Photos?

Daughters: even more expensive than bikes. My daughter is 15, so I have plenty of free time; just no money (or life). Daughters if well raised become as they get older less demanding of time but far more demanding of your money -- lessee: this month: driving lessons; deposit on summer trip to Ireland; cash for dress for tonight's dance because, well, she didn't think to order cheaper online until last night; etc etc etc.

I still cycle as avidly as I did 30 years ago when I started up again after a 9 year hiatus; I'm just slower.

Patrick Moore (who just an hour ago was tickled to be called "young man" by a 62-year-old just 1 year older than himself).

RoadieRyan

Sep 18, 2016, 1:40:07 AM9/18/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Be careful not to blink Mike or you'll turn around and your daughter will be 13.  Of course every age has its great moments but those ages when they are tiny are pretty cool.

Ryan -whose "tiny girl" is 13

Leaf Slayer

Sep 18, 2016, 9:23:58 AM9/18/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
On Saturday, September 17, 2016 at 12:55:36 PM UTC-7, Patrick Moore wrote:
Mike: what are those dangerously heresy-skirting "other bikes"? Photos?

If you poke around a bit your can see the other bikes here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/41335973@N00/

My main go to bikes are my LHT and my singlespeed Cross Check. Lately I've been doing a ton of riding on the CC. This past summer, which has gone by far too quickly, I usually got out once a week for a ramble around the dirt roads in the Mt Hood NF. Most of this riding I did on my LHT. I did manage a 5 day tour on my Big Dummy which was pretty awesome, taking in miles of dirt roads. There's some photos here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/41335973@N00/albums/72157667520325613

While there are no more Rivs in my quiver, you can tell I have plenty of Surlys. I love Surly. My CC is 10yrs old and I just love that bike. I've threatened to sell it in the past but glad I haven't. My LHT is the bike I wish my Hilsen was. The Hilsen was awesome but it shimmied at speed and with a load. Furthermore, I like the stopping power of cantis over Silver brakes, especially with a load or off-road. I recently put a Paul brake on the front and am kicking myself for waiting so long. I'll eventually get a Paul for the rear and for my CC.

The other bikes are my Krampus which I really haven't ridden much this year. On the days where I could go mountain bike, I just felt like going dirt road rambling. Just a little less stressful and overall better for my head if that makes sense.

I also have a Salsa Vaya which I really want to like but the reality is I don't. I'm not anti disc brakes but I just prefer cantis and the set-up on my 10yr old CC. In fact, I'm thinking of selling the Vaya and getting a second CC (geared). My Joshua Bryan randonneur is disassembled in the basement and I need to work towards selling the frame. The last randonneuring event I did was the Cascade 1200k and I don't see myself doing riding like that anymore. Hell, I'd be more likely to race cross before I randonneured again.

Daughters: even more expensive than bikes. My daughter is 15, so I have plenty of free time; just no money (or life). Daughters if well raised become as they get older less demanding of time but far more demanding of your money -- lessee: this month: driving lessons; deposit on summer trip to Ireland; cash for dress for tonight's dance because, well, she didn't think to order cheaper online until last night; etc etc etc.

Parenthood: As tough as it is I love it so much. Next year my wife and I are planning on making a better effort at doing some care camping with our daughter. I think she'd like it.

I still cycle as avidly as I did 30 years ago when I started up again after a 9 year hiatus; I'm just slower.

I turned 50 earlier this month. While I ride daily, the monthly mileage is not what it was years ago and that's okay. I don't feel 50 and certainly don't act it. My plan is to keep riding as long as I can. I love the idea of growing older on the bike.

--mike

On Sat, Sep 17, 2016 at 1:43 PM, Leaf Slayer <mjaw...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Lungimsam

Sep 18, 2016, 10:48:20 AM9/18/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Wow!! Thats the first time I have heard of someone liking their Surly better than their Rivendell!!! Sounds like a much loved bike.

Patrick Moore

Sep 18, 2016, 4:44:50 PM9/18/16
to rbw-owners-bunch
Thanks for the photos. That Surly makes me want to turn my Matthews into a ss ...

BenG

Sep 18, 2016, 5:13:03 PM9/18/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
2 daughters are the blessing of our lives. Seasons pass in life, huh? One married and happy, one single and in youth ministry. We ride incidentally, along the way, because we can and like to. It's a luxury to have nice bikes available, nice to have any bikes available. Life is rich regardless.

George Millwood

Sep 19, 2016, 3:49:09 AM9/19/16
to RBW Owners Bunch, lamon...@mac.com
Fare thee well, Patrick, it has been a pleasure.

masmojo

Sep 21, 2016, 1:00:04 PM9/21/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Leaf, sounds like you just didn't have the right Riv.! The Hilsen is a great bike, but based on you other bikes probably not the best match to your riding. A Hunqapillar, Joe Appaloosa or even an Atlantis would probably suit you better. I have a Cross Check & it is a great bike, but it's not a Rivendell!