The New England Elements, a Homer and an Outdoor Bike Rack

Call Me Jay

Aug 15, 2016, 3:23:29 PM8/15/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm starting a new job tomorrow at an employer with an outdoor bike rack.  I'm neurotic and spoiled---my last employer had a bike rack in the parking garage.  The 20 mile roundtrip ride will be much more enjoyable on my Homer but I'm concerned leaving it out in the elements.  Getting an old Peugeot or Bridgestone as a bad weather bike is an option but I've done the beater commuter bike thing before and would rather be on my Homer.  Any suggestions?

Brian Campbell

Aug 15, 2016, 3:41:42 PM8/15/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I would and do just ride my Homer to work. I wrap the Brooks saddle with a plastic shopping bag in bad weather. In late fall, I squirt some Boeshield in the frame through the seat tube, water bottle bosses and frame vent tubes to help protect against rust. I also give the frame a coat of wax. My parking, while outside has a bit of shelter ( a canopy) so the bike gets some break from the direct onslaught of bad weather. All in all steel bikes are pretty durable. I also clean the chain & drive train every so often. Nothing to crazy on the maintenance/protection front and no issues so far....

Ryan Fleming

Aug 15, 2016, 4:03:53 PM8/15/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
If security is at all  an issue (one of our offices has outside bike racks where thieves lock crappy bikes and  "shop") , I'm afraid I'd say  take a nice-riding beater. If rain is the only issue,  there's nothing that can't be fixed by a good saddle cover and fenders.

René Sterental

Aug 15, 2016, 5:04:42 PM8/15/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Will they forbid you from bringing it inside? There might be an out of the way area where you could leave it. Ask nicely!

Rene, lucky I can bring my bike into my office.

Daniel D.

Aug 15, 2016, 6:19:50 PM8/15/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I don't worry about the elements at all.  If I'm willing to ride in that day's weather I'm willing to leave my bike out in it :>).  but I do cover my leather saddles.   I only worry about thieves...

Patrick Moore

Aug 15, 2016, 7:49:55 PM8/15/16
to rbw-owners-bunch
If much of your riding is commuting, then I think that you should use a good bike to the extent this is practical, and practicality basically means "secure from theft." If theft is not a problem, then by all means use your  Homer. Perhaps a bike cover might help with the elements? But I recall at least once, perhaps more than once, a remark in the Reader about leaving uncovered tubing outside, admittedly in No Cal weather, without much harm.

When I found myself doing 80% of my miles on beaters while a custom Riv hung in the garage, I had a local builder adapt it for commuting, and I never had any regrets -- although I managed to score inside office parking for my ride.

My own approach to internal parking is simply to bring the bike into my office as if it were the normal thing to do, and if questioned, stare at my respondent with a mix of amazement and contempt, as if to suggest otherwise were not only very very strange, but not at all well bred. (Just kidding, but I'm serious about the "bring it inside as norm" practice.)

On Mon, Aug 15, 2016 at 1:23 PM, Call Me Jay <callme...@mac.com> wrote:
I'm starting a new job tomorrow at an employer with an outdoor bike rack.  I'm neurotic and spoiled---my last employer had a bike rack in the parking garage.  The 20 mile roundtrip ride will be much more enjoyable on my Homer but I'm concerned leaving it out in the elements.  Getting an old Peugeot or Bridgestone as a bad weather bike is an option but I've done the beater commuter bike thing before and would rather be on my Homer.  Any suggestions?

Other professional writing services.
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, Nouvelle Mexique,  Vereinigte Staaten
The point which is the pivot of the norm is the motionless center of a circumference on the contours of which all conditions, distinctions, and individualities revolve. Chuang Tzu

Stat crux dum volvitur orbis. (The cross stands motionless while the world revolves.) Carthusian motto

It is we who change; He remains the same. Eckhart

Kinei hos eromenon. (It moves [all things] as the beloved.) Aristotle

WETH

Aug 15, 2016, 8:42:11 PM8/15/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I will second the just bring it inside approach Patrick and others have suggested. I started doing that at my work, and no one has said anything. Several co-workers are now doing the same. On really wet days or snowy days, I do my best to shake water / slush off of tires and frame before I come inside with it. I then carry it to my office to avoid soiling the floors. If my supervisors decree one day I must leave the bike outside, I will continue to ride my Rivendell to work and leave it locked outside.

Palmer

Aug 16, 2016, 6:48:03 AM8/16/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have seen Jay's Homer and wouldn't park it outside daily. Gorgeous bike. I know, bikes are made to ride. I would at least have a "rain bike" for the dubious days. Try the bring it inside plan first and adapt.
When you coming back to Bridgeton? Let's ride again.
Tom Palmer
Twin Lake, MI

Call Me Jay

Aug 16, 2016, 7:12:26 AM8/16/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Next Summer? We didn't made it out there this year.

David Banzer

Aug 16, 2016, 10:10:17 AM8/16/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Agreed. I've been working at the same employer for awhile now and would lock my bike up outside. I didn't have a 'nice' bike until a few years ago (funny that now most of my bikes are 'nice' bikes), but I didn't hesitate locking up outside, though I'd do a thorough locking job (locking skewers, seatpost binder bolt, cable through saddle/rear wheel) and there's security regularly out in front where bike rack is at.
About a year ago I got my own office and started bringing my bike inside into my office. No one questioned it one bit and I didn't ask for permission ahead of time - I've had no problems at all.

If you do end up needing to lock up outside, I'd be aware of the area and lock up accordingly. Ride what's comfortable and what you feel comfortable locking up. That being said, a little variety in what bike to commute on is a nice option.
David
Chicago

Call Me Jay

Aug 22, 2016, 12:08:49 PM8/22/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks for the insight. My Homer is safely parked inside my new office---no one has raised any concerns so far.

René Sterental

Aug 22, 2016, 12:21:47 PM8/22/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Excellent!

On Mon, Aug 22, 2016 at 9:08 AM, Call Me Jay <callme...@mac.com> wrote:
Thanks for the insight.  My Homer is safely parked inside my new office---no one has raised any concerns so far.

Deacon Patrick

Aug 22, 2016, 12:39:18 PM8/22/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Well, that's fantastic for you, but highly anticlimactic for us! Grin. Glad it's a non-issue!

With abandon,
Patrick

Palmer

Aug 22, 2016, 1:59:56 PM8/22/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Glad to hear the Homer is safe and hope the new job is great.
See you next summer.
Tom

Ryan Fleming

Aug 23, 2016, 1:59:24 PM8/23/16