noodle bars

dpco

Apr 16, 2009, 5:40:00 PM4/16/09
to RBW Owners Bunch
i finally broke down and installed nitto "noodle" bars on my
rambouillet. WOW! the flat spot on the top of the bars behind my campy
ergo shifters is perfect for resting my hands without the pressure
points. why did i wait so long?
don

Bruce

Apr 16, 2009, 6:13:48 PM4/16/09
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
what were you using before?

Apr 16, 2009, 6:59:18 PM4/16/09
to RBW Owners Bunch
i purchased my "ram" frameset about 4 years ago after a lengthy
conversation, in person, with grant. like the noodle bars, i stayed
from purchasing a brooks. well, concerning the b-17, i broke down
about a month after riding my ram and haven't ridden another saddle
since. all my bikes have b-17's. until today, all my bikes had ritchey
"classic" bend bars. i have always suffered from numbness in my hands.
today's ride with the noodles on my bike was quite a revelation.
don
p.s. anybody want to buys some bars?

On Apr 16, 3:13 pm, Bruce <fullylug...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> what were you using before?
>
> ________________________________
> From: dpco <dcompton1...@sbcglobal.net>

PATRICK MOORE

Apr 16, 2009, 9:20:40 PM4/16/09
On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 4:21 PM, Doug Peterson <doug...@cox.net> wrote:

Don:

No good discovery goes unpunished.  Once you've Noodled, you can't go back.

I tried Noodles and didn't like them; too deep and too long. I replaced them with similarly wide Salsa Bell Laps which I find much more to my liking. This is for my mountain bike. They are far too wide for my road bikes.

As for the ramp, the Nitto 185s have a very short and -- since I obey Heaven and keep my hooks perfectly level -- very slanted ramp, but that doesn't bother me (and I don't wear  gloves); I think, once again, that the principal key to hand comfort is saddle position.

--
Patrick Moore
Albuquerque, NM

Shaun Meehan

Apr 16, 2009, 9:29:44 PM4/16/09
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
The Noodles are without question on of Grant's best designs. They're the most comfortable drop bars I've ever used. It's funny how just a few little tweaks can make such a big difference!

Donald Compton

Apr 16, 2009, 9:30:21 PM4/16/09
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

patrick,
i agree about saddle position, but my case is unique. i have rotated scoliosis, degenerate disc disease, and severe arthritis. if i sit too upright, i put too much pressure on my lower back, so, i try to balance my position on my bike between too low and too high. i do a lot of core work and upper body work in the gym to compensate for my situation. everybody is different.
don

PATRICK MOORE

Apr 16, 2009, 9:48:27 PM4/16/09
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Don: I wasn't pooh pooh-ing them, just expressing another opinion on my own behalf. I'm glad you find them comfortable!

usuk2007

Apr 16, 2009, 10:28:23 PM4/16/09
to RBW Owners Bunch
Wide noodles are great for long days. I have them on 3 bikes and will
never use any other
drop bar. I also have some Albatross bars on my shopping bike and they
are perfect for
upright riding through traffic. Can't do the moustache bars though.

Doug Peterson

Apr 16, 2009, 10:44:50 PM4/16/09
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Patrick makes an important point.  Bars, saddles and pedals all work together.  Your entire weight is supported on your butt, two feet and two hands, and distributed among those 5 points.  Toss in medical constraints (back, knees, wrists, etc.) and it’s a multi-variate challenge.  Love my Noodles, Brooks, and Grip Kings (sounds like I been hitting the kool aid!) but as well as they satisfy my needs, that combo may be a torture rack for someone else.  This is how we all wind up with a shop full of bike parts after a few years cycling.

FS: Half dozen each h’bars, seats and stems.  Large selection; make offer J.

dougP

dpco

Apr 16, 2009, 11:13:54 PM4/16/09
to RBW Owners Bunch
patrick,
i didn't take it that way. i was just trying to explain my situation
to the crowd. believe me, i see so many positions on bikes, some look
totally wrong, but you can't judge a book by its' cover. thank god
that we have rivendell and grant.
don

On Apr 16, 6:48 pm, PATRICK MOORE <bertin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Don: I wasn't pooh pooh-ing them, just expressing another opinion on my own
> behalf. I'm glad you find them comfortable!
>
> On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 7:30 PM, Donald Compton
> <dcompton1...@sbcglobal.net>wrote:
>

> > patrick,
> > i agree about saddle position, but my case is unique. i have rotated
> > scoliosis, degenerate disc disease, and severe arthritis. if i sit too
> > upright, i put too much pressure on my lower back, so, i try to balance my
> > position on my bike between too low and too high. i do a lot of core work
> > and upper body work in the gym to compensate for my situation. everybody is
> > different.
> > don
>
> > --- On Thu, 4/16/09, PATRICK MOORE <bertin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Professional Resumes. Contact resumespecialt...@gmail.com
>
> --
> Patrick Moore
> Albuquerque, NM
> Professional Resumes. Contact resumespecialt...@gmail.com

Big Paulie

Apr 16, 2009, 11:22:49 PM4/16/09
to RBW Owners Bunch
Phase two of the "Noodle Discovery Train" is finding the right width.
I ended up getting three pairs, 42-44-46, and swapped them back and
forth until I came to the conclusion that I indeed liked the 42's
best.

The wider bars worked well, but my pinkys got numb on long tides. No
amount of moving the bars up or down or rotating them forward of
backward resovled the problem. But a set of 42's did.

In any case, Noodle Bars and Jack Brown tires are must-haves on
whatever bike I obtain the future.

dpco

Apr 16, 2009, 11:47:39 PM4/16/09
to RBW Owners Bunch
while i was at the"headquarters" purchasing my noodle bars, i
purchased a set of "jack browns". if i am going to used them on my
ram, i will have to use riv's silver brakes. my rims are narrow and i
will need the brakes to open a lot.
don

PATRICK MOORE

Apr 17, 2009, 12:59:35 AM4/17/09
On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 9:13 PM, dpco <dcompt...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

patrick,
i didn't take it that way. i was just trying to explain my situation
to the crowd. believe me, i see so many positions on bikes, some look
totally wrong, but you can't judge a book by its' cover. thank god
that we have rivendell and grant.

And I have as much reason to be grateful as anyone. Back in the summer of 1994 I called the brand new Rivendell to inquire about a custom. I complained that I felt as if i were "losing power" over the top of the stroke. Grant asked a few questions, and ended up giving me advice -- shove the saddle back! Raise the bars and bring them back! -- that gave me a position radically different from the very wrong position I'd developed for myself: I went from a saddle all the way forward and 135 or 140 mm mm stem six (6) inches below saddle, to saddle all the way back and 80 mm stem 2 inches below saddle. It took my back a few months to adapt (I didn't do this all at once, of course) but now my back is fine on the bike even when (as today) it is sore from, say, too much bending over my workbench.

tdusky

Apr 17, 2009, 9:20:02 AM4/17/09
to RBW Owners Bunch
Those noodle bars are the best. They are so comfortable I often ride
without gloves.
I have on all of my road bikes.
44cm on my Rivendell, "72 Paramount P13 and "70 Pogliaghi
46cm on my Atlantis
48cm on my Santana Tandem

nuf said

Tom Dusky
Huntington Woods MI

Mike

Apr 17, 2009, 10:19:57 AM4/17/09
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have 46cm Noodle bars on both my Rivs and another pair laying
around. If I were to go on a long tour or set up an off-road bike with
them I'd go with the 48s. They are great handlebars and, like others,
I can't say enough good things about them.

--mike

Rambouilleting Utahn

Apr 17, 2009, 10:20:37 AM4/17/09
to RBW Owners Bunch
The big mouths will work too and I think that they look much 'cleaner'
on the Ram. Another option is the Tektro brake levers that have the
cable release in the lever. If you search the list archives there are
many threads on using Jack Browns on the Ram.

enjoy your new plusher ride!

Ken Yokanovich

Apr 17, 2009, 11:56:23 AM4/17/09
to RBW Owners Bunch
More praise for the Noodle bars.

My bar (why are they called BARS, when there is only one?) was part of
the build on my first Rivendell custom. I knew as soon as I rested my
hands on it, my hands felt as though they were in the perfect
position. One of those "ah ha" moments when riding. I have the 46cm
width on two different bikes and just installed a 48cm on the
Atlantis. If I were to do it over, I think I prefer the 46.

I did a 300+ mile ride one day with a group of 3 other guys a few
years ago, each of them swearing by their equipment choice. Over the
course of the ride, I explained how comfortable I was with my wide
tires, Brooks saddle, and Noodle handlebar. The following year, I was
joined by the same group of guys on the same 300+ mile ride. Each of
them had converted to using a Noodle bar and Brooks saddle. Since
then, they've now converted to wide tires too ;)

Bill Connell

Apr 17, 2009, 12:03:40 PM4/17/09
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

I'm another with only Noodles for my drop-barred bikes. Both the
long-distance road bike (Redwood) and the singlespeed
cyclocross/commuter bike (CrossCheck) run 46cm Noodles. I've done a
few singlespeed conversions of 70s-80s road bikes over the years, and
i'm amazed at how narrow the bars were then, it's hard for me to ride
them.

--
Bill Connell
St. Paul, MN

David Faller

Apr 17, 2009, 12:13:44 PM4/17/09
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
My good friend has ridden his 70's era Mercian across the U.S. a couple of times.  I stood over his bike last summer; he has 38cm Cinelli bars on it!  I've told him that he absolutely must try wide Noodles.  He's not easily persuaded, and has no complaints about his Cinellis, but I still think he's missing out.

My Ram came stock with 46's and I don't think I'd ever change them.  They're nearly perfect.

Dave
Redding, CA
From: dfa...@charter.net
To: rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 09:13:44 -0700
<BR

Rediscover Hotmail®: Now available on your iPhone or BlackBerry Check it out.

David Faller

Apr 17, 2009, 12:35:14 PM4/17/09
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I had a feeling there would be some "leave it be" responses, and there is some merit to that.  But I would have been "happy" to keep using plastic saddles, skinny tires and lower-than-the-saddle drop bars, too, until someone got me to try something possibly better.  I'm eternally grateful that Grant stayed the course and patiently kept his designs and philosophies going.  It has made cycling better for me than it's been in 30 years.  I only hope to expand my friend's perspective, not convert him wholly.

Dave

Joe Bartoe

Apr 17, 2009, 1:32:37 PM4/17/09
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Hi Doug,

This weekend is the Riv ride. What day, time. place? I'm trying to figure out if I can make it work.

Joe

From: doug...@cox.net

To: rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 19:44:50 -0700

Dustin Sharp

Apr 17, 2009, 1:41:03 PM4/17/09
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Details on the Sunday Riv Ride here:

http://tinyurl.com/cbdcwt

This Sunday, meet 9AM at the Irvine train station.

I think Esteban and I will be carpooling up from SD.

Dustin

From: Joe Bartoe <jba...@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 10:32:37 -0700
To: <rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [RBW] Riv Ride

Rediscover Hotmail®: Now available on your iPhone or BlackBerry Check it out. <http://windowslive.com/RediscoverHotmail?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_HM_Rediscover_Mobile2_042009>

Esteban

Apr 17, 2009, 3:17:16 PM4/17/09
to RBW Owners Bunch
That's right. Carpool on Earth Day.

If your in Southern California, or visiting - come to the ride. Lots
of fun. Good people.

Esteban
San Diego, Calif.

Doug Peterson

Apr 17, 2009, 6:47:10 PM4/17/09
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com, Christopher Roy

Joe:

Sunday, April 19.  Meet at the Irvine train station (Barranca & Ada) around 9 and ride by 9:30.  Santiago Cyn plus a detour to the start-finish line of the ’84 Olympic road course in MV.  We’ll throw in a couple of dirt options (Peters Cyn and a cut thru Whiting Ranch) that parallel the course so people can either stick to pavement or get dirty and still end up together.  Total distance around 40 miles.  We may have some guys coming from LA & not sure if they’ll drive or Metrolink.  Check the Flickr site for any last minute updates or changes:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/socal_rivendell_bicycle_appreciation_society/discuss/72157615635262368/

Hope you can make it.  Everything is green now.  From now on, So Cal’s only gonna get drier and “more golden”.

dougP

Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 15:47:10 -0700

David Estes

Apr 19, 2009, 11:45:59 PM4/19/09
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
You rode an extra 20, but probably in the same time we did our 40.  Hot, hot, hot ride, but a GREAT route through Santiago Canyon lead out by Doug.  Lot of cross and head winds that got tiresome, and going up the Santiago grade sure wore me out (mentally as much as physically, that's a long stretch of road).

No mechanicals but some bonks and near bonks due to dehydration and heat.

Surprise guests from Walnut Creek dropped by to ride a Legolas and Rambouillet.

I can say that a good time was had by all!

some pics here:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/cyclotourist/sets/72157617064103668/

and the map here:  http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-states/ca/irvine/316123749405740029

The discussion 'round the planning table
was to attempt a dirt trails (fire road) ride out of Redlands in May, possibly a S24O in Crystal Cove for June, and then San Diego penninsula in July (I hear they have great shwarma plates!).

THANKS Doug for planning and coordinating this one.  I was nice of you guys to hang around while we waited for our train (and for me on multiple hills!!!!).

Cheers,
David
--
Cheers,
David

Esteban

Apr 20, 2009, 10:30:35 AM4/20/09
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks for the photos, David. I brought my camera, but neglected to
insert the charged battery before I left home.

There was great reward in the suffering caused by heat, hills, and
headwinds (the three Hs). I feel great this morning! Wonderful ride
planned by Doug - beautiful canyons, wildflowers and hills, wide bike
paths, a stop at a biker bar, anatomy lessons from interesting
roadkill, traced a bit of the 1984 Olympic route; and great
conversation as usual.

Looking forward to next month!

Esteban
San Diego, Calif.

Dustin Sharp

Apr 20, 2009, 12:26:19 PM4/20/09
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
For those of you w/o the time to look through all the excellent photos that
David posted, you should at least take a look at the one we took on
"Rivendell Street." How cool is that!

http://tinyurl.com/dx5542

Dustin

> From: Esteban <Prot...@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 07:30:35 -0700 (PDT)
> To: RBW Owners Bunch <rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com>
> Subject: [RBW] Re: Riv Ride

Doug Peterson

Apr 20, 2009, 3:12:39 PM4/20/09
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Joe:

Sometimes you’re better off not knowing stuff!  Like the real temp!  My recollection was the high was supposed to be mid-80s.  We topped off our water before starting Santiago and had a nice collection of empties at the top of the saddle above Cooks.  At that point I knew it was a bunch hotter than forecast.  We re-filled at Cooks and hung out for quite a while, some guys got food.  Then we took the bike path (old El Toro) down to Portola / Santa Margarita Pkwy, so if you were headed up that’s probably where you missed us.  It actually seemed cooler in MV than the canyon so if you saw 95 on SM Pkwy it was triple digits back in the canyon.  See the ride report on Flickr but the short answer is drinking fountain water and a steel chair in the shade at the train station was a real treat.  I must have looked terrible because my wife took me out for Mexican food and beer (two of her least favorite foods but she like margaritas) last night.

Doug Peterson

Apr 20, 2009, 3:38:50 PM4/20/09
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
We don't know suffering - there's a French couple touring the states that
posted a request for info over on the touring site about conditions between
Las Vegas and St. George, UT. THAT will involve suffering of a serious
nature.

Great group to ride with as always, and looking forward to our next
adventure. And I'll pre-ride Whiting so I get the lay of the new trails for
when we do that.

dougP

Apr 20, 2009, 3:41:19 PM4/20/09
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Dustin:

What was that grey jersey you were wearing? You may have told me but it
didn't stick.

dougP

Apr 20, 2009, 4:23:54 PM4/20/09
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
It was a Smartwool microweight crew. I think it was this one:

http://www.rei.com/product/731996

I now have two of them, and it's the only thing I like wearing for cycling
when the temps get up in the 90s like yesterday. All of my other wool
jerseys, Kucharik and Swobo, are way too hot. Like most other wool garments,
the Smartwool microweight stuff is waaaay more comfy than plastic.

Dustin

J. Burkhalter

Apr 20, 2009, 8:15:25 PM4/20/09
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'll vouch for those Smartwool Microweight T's. I run and ride in
them year 'round. I agree with Dustin that nice wool jerseys are a
bit of an overkill when the temps are up there. On the 300k brevet
this weekend, I was glad to be wearing one when the temps hit the
upper 80's after a 30ish degree start. No rear pockets, but the loose
fit and ability to hike the sleeves up sure is nice.

-Jay
Asheville, NC

On Apr 20, 4:23 pm, Dustin Sharp <dsh...@runbox.com> wrote:
> It was a Smartwool microweight crew.  I think it was this one:
>
> http://www.rei.com/product/731996
>
> I now have two of them, and it's the only thing I like wearing for cycling
> when the temps get up in the 90s like yesterday.  All of my other wool
> jerseys, Kucharik and Swobo, are way too hot. Like most other wool garments,
> the Smartwool microweight stuff is waaaay more comfy than plastic.
>
> Dustin
>
> > From: Doug Peterson <dougpn...@cox.net>
> > Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 12:41:19 -0700
> > To: <rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com>
> > Subject: [RBW] Re: Riv Ride
>
> > Dustin:
>
> > What was that grey jersey you were wearing?  You may have told me but it
> > didn't stick.
>
> > dougP

Doug Peterson

Apr 20, 2009, 8:24:33 PM4/20/09
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Dustin:

Thanks for the link - my favorite gear store. Gotta get a couple of those.
BTW, REI has a 20% coupon coming out soon for a sale in May.