1.5 x N+1

Jay Connolly

Jul 19, 2017, 1:13:36 PM7/19/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
We just put an offer in on a cottage (which will become the basis of a retirement home down the line) on an Island 50 miles from where we live and work. I'm just now working out the logic to eventually explain to my wife that this may mean I need another bike. Makes no sense, labor-wise, to haul a bike up there every time we go. Also, the cottage is on an island that requires a 25-minute ferry ride. At peak times, the extension to the car of the bike rack could mean that some poor soul behind us wouldn't be able to get on the boat, for lack of room. On the Island, the bike will eventually save its cost in gas by providing "free" transportation to the village for groceries and appointments.

Are you people buying any of this?

Jay

Bill Lindsay

Jul 19, 2017, 1:17:36 PM7/19/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Having just returned from a vacation that included day trips to two island communities of this kind, it absolutely makes sense to me. It would be stupid not to have at least one bike at each place you "live". If you are going to visit an address repeatedly, you should have a bike stashed there. Obvious

Bill 'enabler' Lindsay
El Cerrito Ca.

Chris Birkenmaier

Jul 19, 2017, 1:17:42 PM7/19/17
to RBW Owners Bunch

Chris Birkenmaier

Jul 19, 2017, 1:18:29 PM7/19/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
You have my permission to buy a new bike as soon as possible.  I would suggest a Rivendell.

iamkeith

Jul 19, 2017, 1:56:54 PM7/19/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Extra bike(s), yes! What that bike may be depends on where the island is. Humid or arid? Hilly or flat? Salt air or lake? Sandy or loamy soils? Dehumidifier or air conditioning in the cabin?

If the storage conditions aren't compatible with a good steel bike, I'd just buy some cheap aluminum beater with as little hardware or mechanical complication as possible, and replace as needed. Then Id bring my "good" bike with me when i needed it.

Congrats! Hope your offer is accepted!

Pondero

Jul 19, 2017, 2:10:42 PM7/19/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I work 50 miles from where I sleep (so who can trust me?).  I keep my Quickbeam (in 3spd mode) at my downtown office.  It is my town bike.  My rural bikes are way out in the county where I spend some of my time.  I can tell you from experience that having a bike "there" is the only reasonable way to approach life.

Chris Johnson
Sanger, Texas (or Fort Worth, Texas...depending on which bike I'm riding)

Jay Connolly

Jul 19, 2017, 2:11:37 PM7/19/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
It's an ocean island. We now live about 4 miles from the water. The cottage is more like 400 yards. I've never had any issues with corrosion on steel bikes. Occasionally I mist them, or given a rubdown, with something called ACF-50, which was developed as an anti-corrosive for planes, I believe.

Jay

Tim Gavin

Jul 19, 2017, 2:56:06 PM7/19/17
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Just start with a cheap bike and your case doesn't need as much defense.  Get a rigid MTB from the 90s for $100, add new tires and tune-up, and a basket.

Let her borrow it for a couple trips to the store, and then you'll have approval for a second (maybe nicer) bike.

On Wed, Jul 19, 2017 at 1:11 PM, Jay Connolly <jayco...@gmail.com> wrote:
It's an ocean island. We now live about 4 miles from the water. The cottage is more like 400 yards. I've never had any issues with corrosion on steel bikes. Occasionally I mist them, or given a rubdown, with something called ACF-50, which was developed as an anti-corrosive for planes, I believe.

Jay

Patrick Moore

Jul 19, 2017, 3:15:02 PM7/19/17
to rbw-owners-bunch
Of course it makes sense!

How about nice folder?

I bought my Hon Solo because I got a very good deal on it, but also because even for me, whose cars always have room inside for at least 1 bike, a folder is very useful. It rides well enough to be fun, and it's cheap enough to lock up outside (if I can't take it inside, even folded), and it's a real folder -- gets small enough to fit into a grocery cart, for example.

Or, full size, how about a nice fixed gear?

Please post photo of bike against cottage backdrop! (And where is this island?)

Jay

Other professional writing services.
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, Nouvelle Mexique,  Vereinigte Staaten
Interested in trading resume, LinkedIn, and other writing work for professional (professional) help with marketing and growing my resumes, etc. business. Respondents should have considerable experience in helping small, online businesses grow. Please contact me at patric...@resumespecialties.com. Thanks.

Jay Connolly

Jul 19, 2017, 8:15:44 PM7/19/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Too big for a folder. Currently 6'5", 265. I would look and feel silly on a folder, I'm afraid--and few are rotated to take my weight, at least from what I've seen I'm my limited investigations online.

I'm intrigued by a recent suggestion on the Blahg that Riv was working on some interesting things that we'll see in the next year or so. I have a Sam, set up fairly light, that's my "fast" bike, a Joe, which is outfitted to travel to the ends of the earth, and a Jones Plus that I use for backcountry riding. These bikes cover virtually all riding needs, so the only way to justify the potential redundancy of a new acquisition is with the new property. No point in a Clem--got a Joe. No point in a Roadini--got a Sam. No need for a Hunq--got a Jones.

It occurs to me that I may have become interested in the cottage property just so I could justify a new bike!

Jay

Joe Bernard

Jul 20, 2017, 6:52:43 AM7/20/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
There's no reason you can't duplicate a bike for the island. Of the three you listed, pick one that fits the property best and copy it.

tc

Jul 20, 2017, 8:17:39 AM7/20/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Flat island, or hilly?  Sounds like an opportunity to explore a fat bike for sandy exploring to me.  Jamis makes a cruiser called the Taxi that has the right idea ... rust-proof chain, aluminum frame, everything sealed up ... and it comes in a large.   It's not that attractive though, and its single speed.  Video here.

Maybe start with something simple like that ... and as a previous poster says, let your wife have a go at it.  Maybe a more expensive "beach custom" could be justified later?

Ron Mc

Jul 20, 2017, 9:20:34 AM7/20/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
all that matters is that your wife buys it

Philip Kim

Jul 20, 2017, 9:51:37 AM7/20/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
true. i would definitely get a bike on the island. how nice of a bike would depend on how often  you will be there

Ron Mc

Jul 20, 2017, 9:52:52 AM7/20/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
certainly - what's an island without a bike

Austin B

Jul 20, 2017, 12:14:45 PM7/20/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Unless you have like a dozen bikes, I don't understand what all the fuss is about.

If you work & can afford it
If you ride & will use it
If you want a bike & it will make you happy at your cottage

Then get a bike and do so unapologetically. There is no "need" nor supporting justification required.

Maybe my wife is more understanding than most on needs vs. wants. Most of us (with the exception of commuters maybe) don't need a bike. We certainly don't need Riv's. But here we are.

Life is short, do what makes you happy.

Jay Connolly

Jul 21, 2017, 8:09:40 AM7/21/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
The fuss is really just an opportunity to express enthusiasm for bicycles. My wife has always supported my interest in bikes. There's no problem at all.

Jay

Austin B

Jul 21, 2017, 12:06:56 PM7/21/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Definitely got the enthusiasm but I guess I downplayed the tongue-in-cheek humor in it.

Great that your wife is supportive--being 6'5" tall (I'm 6'3") a new bike purchase isn't necessarily solved by trolling Craigslist for something cheap to build up since we generally play at or beyond the fringes of the bicycle size curves. It either means waiting a long time for something used to come up, or buying something new that is the right size (e.g. $1300 Riv frames).

Happy shopping!

Austin

Jay Connolly

Jul 21, 2017, 5:33:02 PM7/21/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yes, height has its curses when it comes to bicycles. For years I have ridden bikes with long top tubes (Surlys before Rivs). My first "modern" bike was a Trek 520. I knew nothing about sizing and geometry when I bought it. Turned out the sale an sold me a 60 when I needed the next size up. I could not stand on the bike to climb because a) I'd bang my knees on the barcons, and b) it was difficult to get my weight sufficiently forward on a too-small frame. I like a spacious frame. At this point, I don't mind paying for what I like, but I don't want to create too much redundancy, either. I like my bikes to have distinct ride characteristics, not subtle ones. Huge difference between my Joe and my Sam, for instance, despite the fact that they could be make to ride quite similarly. One of those could go to the cottage. I wouldn't mind building up a drop-bar mountain rig along the lines of a Fargo. I'm in no rush to do this, though, and I'll be interested to see what Riv comes out with in the next year or so.

Jay

Marc Irwin

Jul 22, 2017, 12:16:31 PM7/22/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Retirement intentions?  You will need a Cheviot for hauling groceries and those days when you don't want to swing your leg all the way up.  Being your size I would recommend a custom Wilbury.  You have my endorsement and permission.  Screw the guy behind you on the ferry.

Marc

WETH

Jul 22, 2017, 1:00:53 PM7/22/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
You'll probably need to buy more than one bike for the island, so you can tour guests around! 2 x N+1
I share your interest in what Riv is planning next.

dstein

Jul 22, 2017, 2:30:51 PM7/22/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I second this. A single speed and a geared all rounder sound good to me. 2 x N+1.

Marc Nolte

Jul 22, 2017, 10:17:06 PM7/22/17
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I'm normally proportioned, yet I bought a Wilbury as my forever bike in the case I have hip trouble.

Marc
Calgary Alberta.

Jay Connolly

Jul 31, 2017, 11:19:19 AM7/31/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Decided on a 59cm Clem Smith, Jr L. I love the ride of the Appaloosa and am sold on the long-long chainstays.

This bike will remain permanently on the island, will be geared low, and will be a utility bike. The ride to the village on the island is about 2 miles, all uphill, and I intend to use the bike for every possible grocery trip, jaunt to the various beaches, and just bimbling around on any number of short rides. It will be fully racked and basketed.

The Ferry to the "big island" is about 1.5 miles away, and on the other side is a big shopping centre, so the bike will go back and forth for that. My parents live about 5 miles up the road on the other side of that ferry ride, as well, so I will use the bike to "commute" to them.

In the summers I'll take my Sam to the island for the regular bike club rides.

Really looking forward to this bike.

Jay

WETH

Jul 31, 2017, 11:33:23 AM7/31/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Jay,
Thanks for the update and congratulations! Sounds like a perfect solution.
Erl

Jay Connolly

Jul 31, 2017, 6:35:56 PM7/31/17
to RBW Owners Bunch