RBW home page - Sam H question

Reid

Apr 29, 2016, 1:39:08 AM4/29/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
When I bring up the RIV web site, the first pic that comes up at the top of the home page is "Sam Hillborne -- Presale". The bike in the pic has bar wrap that seems to be a sort of oxblood color. Whatever it is, I really like the look of it with the Sam H colors. Does anyone have any idea about what bar wrap materiel that might be?

Thanks for any pointers.

Reid

sameness

Apr 29, 2016, 1:54:01 AM4/29/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Looks like Newbaum's in... maroon? There may or may not be some shellac involved.

http://www.rivbike.com/product-p/gt1.htm

Jeff Hagedorn
Los Angeles, CA USA

Philip Kim

Apr 29, 2016, 8:44:03 AM4/29/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yes, it's maroon with amber shellac.

my soma san marcos prior to amber shellac http://myicecreamsandwich.tumblr.com/image/134614538360

RichS

Apr 29, 2016, 10:43:40 AM4/29/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Agree with Phillip. I used clear shellac on the maroon tape; it darkens the color quite a bit. My analogy: Pinot Noir to Cabernet Sauvignon.

Richard

Scott McLain

Apr 29, 2016, 12:55:58 PM4/29/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
When I was at Riv HQ they had another bike that looked similar that was red Newbaums with shellac (didn't ask if it was amber or clear).  The Maroon gets really dark when you add shellac.  I have tried clear shellac with maroon Newbaums and got this...

I am going to try red with amber shellac if I try this again.

Scott

Bill Lindsay

Apr 29, 2016, 1:07:58 PM4/29/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I agree with Scott.  In my experience Amber makes everything a lot darker and a lot browner.  I usually start with a really light color if I'm going to go Amber.  Amber over yellow matches a Honey Brooks, for example.  Amber over pink came out, um, brownish pink?  That was kind of gross.  Amber over white can be cool.  Amber over Maroon came out really dark brown for me.

Philip Kim

Apr 29, 2016, 1:08:00 PM4/29/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
sorry about the mix up, i believe it's clear shellac - amber made it more brown.

Reid

Apr 29, 2016, 11:07:04 PM4/29/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Excellent! Thanks everyone. Seems that the Newbaum's with shellac is it. Love the quick service here. :-)

Reid