Grizzly Peak Century mixed terrain options - May 1, 2016

Neil

Jan 20, 2016, 2:20:45 PM1/20/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Apologies if this has been posted...I thought this might be of interest to the group. The Grizzly Peak Century is offering 78-mile and 100-mile mixed terrain options this year.
This is a beta test for them, so limited to 50 riders. If you think about the legacy of bike restrictions in East Bay regional parks, I think this is huge, even if it is just the normal fireroads and such.

I signed up for the 78-mile version. Alas, only 18 miles of dirt, but should be fun! A good carrot to get in shape for 7,500 feet by May 1.

Patrick Shea

Jan 20, 2016, 2:47:24 PM1/20/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the heads up, Neil! I just registered for the 78 miler, a ride I'm hoping will better prepare my bloated sack of protoplasm for the La Ruta Loca.

Cheers,
Patrick Shea

Don Compton

Jan 20, 2016, 8:46:53 PM1/20/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks for the headsup. I have never ridden the Grizzly Peak Century, but have ridden portions of the ride many times. Adding the dirt roads to the ride would be really fun, especially for Riv guys. I have ridden my former Roadeo on many unpaved roads in Marin and Sonoma cos. and would love to break in my new Roadeo.
Don

dstein

Jan 20, 2016, 10:25:25 PM1/20/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
The dirt roads definitely look like a fun addition! I keep eyeing the Grizzly Peak Century but never seem to have the time and with an expected newborn I'll probably not make it this year either. Hopefully its successful and expands next year.

Patrick Shea

Jan 20, 2016, 10:56:13 PM1/20/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Dave, I can you loan one of my Carradice Campers; they are the perfect size for holding newborn cyclists. Good luck!

Cheers,
Patrick Shea

Tony

Jan 23, 2016, 2:21:39 AM1/23/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I didn't realize they decided to offer the route, add me to the 50. Here is a link to some of the trails.

Tony

Neil Doran

Apr 28, 2016, 5:18:52 PM4/28/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
This weekend! Weather looks fantastic. We're shooting to roll from the start at 7 AM.

I've ridden all of the dirt before, but certainly never in the same day!

David Stein

Apr 29, 2016, 1:40:11 PM4/29/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
This looks awesome and wish I could make it. Next year I need to commit to this and the levi's gran fondo mixed routes well in advance.

Who is going and what bike/tires are you taking? It looks mostly road still, I wonder if my gunnar sport w/ 33mm tires would do the trick (or if my hunqapillar with rat trap pass tires would be overkill...or are there rules on bike types and tire widths).

Jack Doran

May 3, 2016, 5:00:24 PM5/3/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Was pretty fun, but the trails out of Port Costa and through Briones were severely rutted, making climbing difficult and descending even more unpleasant. Still super happy to mix it up a bit, but I'm not hurrying back out there and I ultimately wound up bailing about 2/3 the way through.

dstein, to answer your question, I was running Hetres (650bx42) with a steel road frame. Letting some pressure out helped, of course, but not to a great degree. Definitely glad to have the much needed rainfall we've been getting, but combined with the livestock using the trails, it made for a super bumpy, exhausting ride. There was a guy riding with us for awhile with a full suspension MTB, and he was even finding it a pain in the ass.

Tony

May 6, 2016, 12:27:02 PM5/6/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I did the metric century version on an Atlantis with 2" Schwalbe Duremes. Jack, if you think the trail past Port Costa was cow-a lish-ous, you should have seen it at the end of March during a training ride the person who developed the mixed-terrain route (Craig) led. I saw three coyotes during the day, met some very nice kindred souls (including another Atlantis rider and his buddies), and had a great time.  Dave, I probably had the fattest tires, most people rode cyclocross bikes.

Tony