Commuting reflections and portfolio

WETH

Oct 15, 2016, 11:18:02 AM10/15/16
to RBW Owners Bunch

As I spend a beautiful weekend indoors nursing an irritated sciatic nerve, I thought I'd write about my bike commute. My commuting route winds through sleepy Washington DC suburban neighborhoods, down hill along a stream, across a regional park and creek, up hill under an eight lane intestate highway, along a major commuter artery where vehicles travel 40 miles per hour, through quiet urban neighborhoods, and finally, 8 miles from home, onto the grounds of the worlds 6th largest cathedral. Departing the house about 6:15am, I cycle in the cool predawn air, passing a few joggers and mostly dark homes. After two and half miles of peaceful suburban roads, I join a steady stream of cars. The constant whine and hum of traffic quickens my pace. Three miles later I slip onto quiet neighborhood streets as the sky brightens. Back on a six lane urban road the cathedral beckons in the distance. I arrive invigorated for the day! At 5:30pm, I reverse the route as I exercise away the days frustrations and mistakes. The final two and a half miles to my house wind along a creek where the roar of traffic grows fainter and dusk settles in as I give thanks for the day as I spin contentedly toward home.

Since early April, I have made this ride exclusively on my rehabilitated Romulus with albatross bars and a small Saddlesack. Nimble, quick and comfortable, this bike is an extension of my body such that I feel I am in it rather than riding on it. The shorter wheelbase and uptight riding position puts me over the rear 35mm tire so I feel the road the way I would in a sports car-a bit rough but in command.

I greet runners, walkers, and cyclists while marveling at how many respond in the morning and how relatively few I encounter in the evening. Kindred souls take to the road in the morning darkness.* I marvel at the politeness and courteousness of most drivers. I wave a hand in thanks much more often than I glare or gesture at an inattentive or aggressive driver. I try to put Mildred Norman's words into action: "But, you see, I love people and I see the good in them. And you're apt to reach what you see. The world is like a mirror: If you smile at it, it smiles at you. I love to smile, and so in general, I definitely receive smiles in return."

Fall's chill is creeping in, and I must layer more clothes. Soon I will be carrying my work clothes while cycling in winter gear and changing at work. To that end the Cheviot is built with rack and large Saddlesack, ready to take over as my daily commuter until spring. The Romulus will get cleaned and tuned-up to be ready for weekend adventures.

I placed my favorite photos from my 2016 Romulus commutes in a folder: https://flickr.com/photos/86975051@N08/sets/72157674823367155 I will add more as they occur.

The Cheviot is ready, and I look forward to the beauty of fall and winter mornings. Cheviot photos here:
https://flickr.com/photos/86975051@N08/sets/72157665232090983

Safe cycling wishes to all,
Erl
*I love the early morning hours, yet I am not a morning person. Vocational obligations and a loathing of heavy traffic get me out the door early on weekdays, while weekends find me sleeping later.

Sky Coulter

Oct 15, 2016, 12:25:14 PM10/15/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks for posting the albums. Both bikes look great.  I took my 650b'd Romulus out for a quick ride this morning. I've always enjoyed it, but with the wider supply tires, it's just that much better.   Love your cheviot. I'd be lusting after one more (and in that awesome green) if I didn't already have a bombadil.

Sky in new west

Patrick Moore

Oct 15, 2016, 1:37:49 PM10/15/16
to rbw-owners-bunch
Eloquent. As Sheldon Brown said, commuting cyclists are the really serious cyclists, and cycle commuting makes what would otherwise be a very annoying chore into a mini adventure -- at least, I find that so.

I see your route takes you by the Washington National Cathedral. 30 years ago I lived in the Chancery apartments just catty corner across the street from the cathedral. What are your termini a quo and ad quem? (Starting and end points?) I never bike commuted in the district, but I did ride in it, and I hope the infrastructure for cyclists is better now than it was in say 1986. I gather from your route description and photos that it is.

And, nice bikes. The Cheviot has the most elegantly wrapped chainstay and kickstand I've ever seen.

Patrick Moore, about to turn a grocery store trip into a mini minor dirt road cycling adventure in pleasantly Fall ABQ, NM.

Other professional writing services.
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, Nouvelle Mexique,  Vereinigte Staaten
The point which is the pivot of the norm is the motionless center of a circumference on the contours of which all conditions, distinctions, and individualities revolve. Chuang Tzu

Stat crux dum volvitur orbis. (The cross stands motionless while the world revolves.) Carthusian motto

It is we who change; He remains the same. Eckhart

Kinei hos eromenon. (It moves [all things] as the beloved.) Aristotle

WETH

Oct 15, 2016, 1:58:01 PM10/15/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Patrick,
As usual, I agree with Sheldon Brown!
I do love the Art Deco style of the Chancery. My commute concludes at one of the schools on the grounds of the National Cathedral. I begin near Wheaton, MD. Cycling infrastructure has improved greatly since the 1980s, but not along Wisconsin Avenue where I ride. The hours I commute allow me to take the curb lane, free of parked cars, and only play dodge-em with the metro buses. Most drivers avoid traveling in the curb lanes I've found, and most bus drivers are considerate. Connecticut Avenue north of the district line presents the most challenge.
Enjoy your dirt road adventure to and from the store.
All the best,
Erl

islaysteve

Oct 16, 2016, 7:36:02 AM10/16/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Erl, I'm sorry to hear that you're not feeling well!  Thanks for the writeup on your commute.  It's as poetic and descriptive as your photos.  I can visualize every segment.  I will attest that your Cheviot is even greater-looking in person than in your photos.  Thanks for including me in the "test" ride.  Cheers and feel better soon, Steve

WETH

Oct 16, 2016, 9:40:32 AM10/16/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Dear Steve,
Thanks for the well wishes....I am a cranky convalescent and the pain down my left leg makes walking difficult. Heat and Aleve are helping a bit, while a beautiful fall day taunts me.
I apologize for not posting the photos of our ride sooner. On Monday (Columbus Day in the USA), Steve invited me over for coffee (think that counts toward this year coffeneuring challenge-thanks) and then we went on a lovely 5 mile ride. Steve named it the Rivendell "iot" ride since his Bleriot and my Cheviot end in "iot". Clever! We had fun riding, talking bikes and sharing local news.
Photos here: https://www.flickr.com/gp/86975051@N08/58j524
Steve's Bleriot is a 53cm I believe, and my Cheviot is a 60cm.
All the best,
Erl

Jon Dukeman,central Colorado

Oct 16, 2016, 10:15:40 AM10/16/16
to RBW Owners Bunch

Erl,
I hope your pain subsides soon.Not fun!
I enjoyed your write-up and pictures of your commute route and beautiful bikes. Thanks!!
What front rack do you have on your Cheviot?
Jon

WETH

Oct 16, 2016, 10:35:51 AM10/16/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Jon,
Thanks for well wishes.
The front rack is a Mark's rack (http://www.rivbike.com/product-p/r1.htm) with the no longer available Platrack attached. The Platrack held the discontinued but quite useful Slickersack. A good overview of the setup is available half way down this reviewer's page: http://velozen.blogspot.com/2012/01/review-rivendell-sackville-bags-part-1.html?m=1

For now I will not use the Slickersack, but use the larger platform created by the Platrack to mount a front basket. Hopefully the Platrack extension with the longer struts extending down to the fork dropouts will provide greater support for the entire rack.

I ran this setup on my LHT with great success. (Only I used the campee rack instead of the Mark's rack): https://flic.kr/p/jwACLE

Happy to answer other questions.
Thanks,
Erl

islaysteve

Oct 16, 2016, 11:44:00 AM10/16/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Earl, Absolutely no apologies necessary! Thanks for posting the photos. My bike certainly looks tiny next to yours! In fact it is a 51. That was a fun day for me. Again, I hope your leg feels better soon. Steve

RichS

Oct 16, 2016, 12:18:19 PM10/16/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Erl, delightful and inspiring posts from you and Steve. Congratulations on your Cheviot. Stunning bike! Get well soon!

I'm totally with everyone on the joys of commuting and errand running. Like Patrick says it's a mini adventure.

Best,
Richard

Kellie

Oct 16, 2016, 1:00:23 PM10/16/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Love your write-up; I can almost feel the transitions in your ride, Nice bikes too!

René Sterental

Oct 16, 2016, 1:13:33 PM10/16/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Hi Erl,

Great description and set of photos to go along with it. I almost felt I was there riding with you! Hope you recover quickly and are back riding again soon.

It's raining in the SF Bay Area! How foreign it seems! Makes you forget some other bad things going on...

Best,

René

Tony DeFilippo

Oct 16, 2016, 4:41:42 PM10/16/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Erl,

Sorry to hear about the pain and I hope it subsides quickly. Your commute description is absolutely lovely though and I've reread it twice, thanks for sharing with the group along with your great commute photos which help remind me to take a moment and do the same more often.

Congrats on the new Cheviot build!

Tony

Ryan Fleming

Oct 17, 2016, 2:29:26 PM10/17/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I feel your pain, Erl , because I really enjoy my rides to and from work...but I got cut off by a  right-turning car while crossing at an intersection in a designated bike lane  end of Sep on my way home and have a cracked LI vertebra....so no riding probably for the next 3 or 4 weeks...could've been a lot worse , though. I really love riding in the autumn and it's hard to be off the bike.
Thankfully no head trauma, and my X0-1 seems to be OK but may take it to our local Natural Cycle to be checked out.

Very handsome Cheviot and Romulus by the way and I wish you a speedy recovery

WETH

Oct 17, 2016, 7:47:01 PM10/17/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Dear Ryan,
So sorry to learn about your injury. Best wishes for quick healing and an early return to the saddle. I had a similar thing happen to me in June. Fortunately I was able to turn partially parallel to the car so I bounced off it with my forearm. If their side view mirror didn't bend back toward the front of the car, I likely would have broken an arm bone instead of bruising my elbow. Still I was shocked at the whiplash action of my head as I came to an abrupt stop. Again, heal quickly and well.
All the best, Erl

René Sterental

Oct 17, 2016, 10:14:54 PM10/17/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com