Legolas/Roadeo Owners: Threadless stem size vs quill

Call Me Jay

Jan 23, 2017, 2:17:33 PM1/23/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm building up a 57cm Legolas soon with a threadless steerer. My 58cm 650b Homer and second hand 57ish cm Custom has 90mm quill stems and Noodle bars. They fit like a glove. Should a go with another 90mm or longer length because the angles are different or given the sportier geometry of the Legolas?

Call Me Jay

Jan 23, 2017, 2:35:55 PM1/23/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
For what it's worth, I'm leaning towards a Soma High Riser stem or something similar that uses less spacers.

Toshi Takeuchi

Jan 23, 2017, 3:30:36 PM1/23/17
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I use a 9 cm stem on my 650b Homer and went with a 9 cm threadless on my Roadeo.  The top tube is significantly shorter on the Roadeo than Homer, but this allows me to ride most comfortably in the drops (whereas most comfortable position on Homer is probably bar tops/hoods, so it works out great for me and my applications).

I'm not sure about the Legolas top tube length/geometry but if you want to ride with the same position as on your other bikes, then you can do the math on that, but assuming you would ride in a racier position, then keeping the same stem length could make sense like for my Roadeo.

Toshi

On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 11:35 AM, Call Me Jay <callme...@mac.com> wrote:
For what it's worth, I'm leaning towards a Soma High Riser stem or something similar that uses less spacers.

Les Lammers

Jan 23, 2017, 4:24:10 PM1/23/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Howdy Jay,

Maybe this will be helpful. http://yojimg.net/bike/web_tools/stem.php

Mojo

Jan 23, 2017, 5:27:50 PM1/23/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Jay,

To copy the cockpit position from the Homer to the Legolas, you need to make one adjustment. Subtract one cm from your Legolas stem before you compare and compensate for different top tube lengths. In other words, the one degree steeper seat tube angle on the Legolas has taken up roughly 1 cm of effective top tube length. In other-other words, your saddle will be roughly 1 cm further back on the Legolas' seatpost to achieve the same leg to crank position.

Joe "with a Road Custom and Legolas that have the same 58cm top tube length but two different stem lengths" Ramey

Call Me Jay

Jan 23, 2017, 8:23:18 PM1/23/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Very helpful.  So, comparing:

1) the 56.5 top tube length with 73 seat tube angle of the Legolas;

2) the Homer's 58.5 top tube length, 72 seat tube angle, and current 90mm stem; and

3) my second-hand Custom's 57.5 top tube length,72 seat tube angle, and current 90mm stem...

I think I need another 90mm stem.  Let me know if I'm missing anything or my math is off.  As always, thanks for the help.  This forum continues to be a great resource.

Garth

Jan 24, 2017, 5:47:22 AM1/24/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
What about head tube angles, those must be acoounted for also ! What about bottom bracket heights also ? Everything comes into play in subtle and not so subtle ways. FWIW, every bike is completely different, and as such you think you ought to be in a position just like X bike, but once upon the new bike it just does not work out that way since it has completely different characteristics,

Mojo

Jan 24, 2017, 9:18:35 AM1/24/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Neither head tube angle nor BB height will directly effect stem length.

Kai Vierstra

Jan 24, 2017, 11:10:05 AM1/24/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Would they affect it, indirectly?
-Kai
Brooklyn NY

Patrick Moore

Jan 24, 2017, 12:20:44 PM1/24/17
to rbw-owners-bunch
Jay -- choose the stem that makes you at least as comfortable as you are on the Homer. I haven't compared the angles and tt lengths on Homer and Legolas, but if they are the same, and if the Homer is (1) very comfortable and (2) you want much the same riding position on the Legolas as on the Homer, then by all means use a 9. Change if not.

All my bikes have effective tts of about 57 cm. The 2 Rivs have 73* st angles, the Chauncey has a 72*. I use 8 cm stems on all, but I want a lower and longer reach on the Rivs (they are road bikes) and a slightly more upright position of the Matthews (dirt). Between the slightly slacker st angle and the slightly higher bar on the Matthews, and complicating the equation with a wider bar of the same shape (37-38 cm Maes Parallels on the Rivs, 42 on the Matthews), the net result is just right.

On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 12:17 PM, Call Me Jay <callme...@mac.com> wrote:
I'm building up a 57cm Legolas soon with a threadless steerer.  My 58cm 650b Homer and second hand 57ish cm Custom has 90mm quill stems and Noodle bars.  They fit like a glove.  Should a go with another 90mm or longer length because the angles are different or given the sportier geometry of the Legolas?

Other professional writing services.
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, Nouvelle Mexique,  Vereinigte Staaten
The point which is the pivot of the norm is the motionless center of a circumference on the contours of which all conditions, distinctions, and individualities revolve. Chuang Tzu

Stat crux dum volvitur orbis. (The cross stands motionless while the world revolves.) Carthusian motto

It is we who change; He remains the same. Eckhart

Kinei hos eromenon. (It moves [all things] as the beloved.) Aristotle

Patrick Moore

Jan 24, 2017, 12:22:12 PM1/24/17
to rbw-owners-bunch
Neither will affect the way the stem makes the bike feel. Obviously, they will affect the fit and feel in other ways.

Call Me Jay

Aug 22, 2017, 1:39:55 PM8/22/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
What stem angle are folks running to get to around bar height without a ton of spacers or super steep stem angle---6 or 7 degrees? Photos would be helpful if you have them.

lum gim fong

Aug 22, 2017, 6:23:46 PM8/22/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Jay,

I think this is a fit issue if you are trying to replicate your fit from one bike onto another. Is that the goal?

I have heard of something I think is called an "XY axis method" that does this. Done with lasers. I think it is based on how bars and saddle sit relative to the bb. I think. I am not sure I fully understood what the guy was telling me.
I had it done to transfer my fit from my Bleriot to my Rambouillet. IIRC my Rambouillet  needed saddle and bars back and lower than what I had guessed based on my own tape measure methods at home.

Call Me Jay

Aug 22, 2017, 7:36:40 PM8/22/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Not exact--just close enough.