Betty's an eBike Now

Cecily Walker

Apr 23, 2018, 9:44:53 PM4/23/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Some of y'all might remember me. *waves hello*

Unfortunately, as my rheumatoid arthritis and vascular conditions progressed, I had to stop riding my bike. I've missed my Rizzo so much, and was thinking about selling her. I did add a Vespa to my stable, but it just never gave me the same feeling I got from riding my bike.

A while back (a couple of years?) I asked whether anyone in this group had any experience with converting a Betty Foy or any other Rivendell bike to an eBike. There weren't many responses, and for a long time, I gave up hope that I'd be able to ride ever again... until about two weeks ago.

I went into my local eBike shop, and asked whether it was possible to convert my beloved Rizzo to an eBike, and they said that while it would be a challenge, it was doable. I had to get a new wheel built, and I had to sign a waiver about braking because the Betty Foy doesn't come with disc brakes.

Today I am happy to report that a reputable eBike dealer can in fact convert a Riv bike to an eBike, and I'm back riding again. Hooray!

I just needed to share my joy with people who would get it. Cheers, everyone!

Deacon Patrick

Apr 23, 2018, 9:56:21 PM4/23/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Fantastic, Cecily! Great job finding what works — and that’s the best reason for an ebike I’ve heard yet! Ride with abandon!

With abandon,
Patrick

William!

Apr 23, 2018, 10:14:23 PM4/23/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
We want pics!

Joe Bernard

Apr 23, 2018, 10:21:12 PM4/23/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Welcome, Cecily. Riv mixtes make great ebikes! :-)
IMG_20180313_141246.jpg

Carla Waugh

Apr 23, 2018, 10:53:51 PM4/23/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
I’m glad you get to ride your Betty again!! Happy times on your Betty!

Bill Gibson

Apr 23, 2018, 10:58:16 PM4/23/18
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Go Betty Go!
On Mon, Apr 23, 2018 at 7:53 PM, Carla Waugh <lhtbik...@gmail.com> wrote:
I’m glad you get to ride your Betty again!! Happy times on your Betty!

Cecily Walker

Apr 23, 2018, 11:25:51 PM4/23/18
to RBW Owners Bunch

Swanky!

Joe Bernard

Apr 23, 2018, 11:41:45 PM4/23/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
We need pics of yours! I'm dying to see what kit they put on it.

Jon BALER

Apr 24, 2018, 5:51:27 AM4/24/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Copenhagen wheel would work well on a Rivendell, since it requires rim brakes.

https://content.superpedestrian.com

Takashi

Apr 24, 2018, 5:58:27 AM4/24/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
That's great!
So glad to know that you are riding again.

Takashi

Abcyclehank

Apr 25, 2018, 12:22:08 AM4/25/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Cicely,
This is the best birthday present I received.
I enjoyed reading your exploits and efforts to ride you Betty. The joy of riding a bike is simple good for the soul as I believe your failed attempt to convert to a Vespa. So happy to hear you are back on your “friend”.
A better ebike I have never observed.
As Patrick states, a better reason to evolve to ebiking i can not imagine.
The shop did a wonderful job concerting you over; as i am sure you will inspire some others to follow suit.
Ryan “Birthday N-1; N+2; = N+1” Hankinson
West Michigan

Abcyclehank

Apr 25, 2018, 12:25:06 AM4/25/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Cecily,
Sorry about misspelling your name; no disrespect intended. Mind must be beginning to go since I entered my 2nd half century.
Happy pedaling with assist.

Ryan

Joe Bernard

Apr 25, 2018, 12:54:13 AM4/25/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
We still need to see it!

Chris Lampe 2

Apr 25, 2018, 8:50:49 AM4/25/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
I consider myself to be fairly traditional in my bike tastes and part of the appeal of bicycling is the physical exertion involved in spirited riding.  Having said that, I stepped into a bike shop last year and the owner offered me a test ride on an electric assist bike and I can honestly say that it was the most fun I've had on a bike since childhood.  I have every intention of someday adding an e-bike to my stable.

Joe Bernard

Apr 25, 2018, 9:59:05 AM4/25/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yep yep, Chris, it's definitely a different and fun way to ride a bicycle. I still have and ride non-assist bikes, but I love my eChev for shopping runs; longer rides when I don't have all day to cover the mileage; or if I just feel like getting my speed on. And they're invaluable if you have an injury or disability which limits your pedaling strength.

Cecily Walker

Apr 25, 2018, 2:41:35 PM4/25/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks, Ryan! And happy belated birthday.

Cecily Walker

Apr 25, 2018, 2:41:50 PM4/25/18
to RBW Owners Bunch

Too busy riding! :D

Cecily Walker

Apr 25, 2018, 2:43:11 PM4/25/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
And that's great if you're physically able to do it. I had been before I got sick, and then suddenly I couldn't do it anymore. I'm still using my own power to ride the bike, I just have help.

Cecily Walker

Apr 25, 2018, 2:44:13 PM4/25/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
I don't find it that different. I'm still pedaling. The only difference is now I can blow past reedy hipsters whenever I want to use the throttle. That's a price above rubies, in my opinion.

Scott MacDonald

Apr 25, 2018, 3:01:36 PM4/25/18
to RBW Owners Bunch

When I commute in a suit I use an old MB-3 with a similar motor/battery combo. (Bafang)
Rim brakes work fine. No need for new wheels in my build.

If you are a do-it-yourselfer, https://lunacycle.com is a good resource.

Love my Hunquapillar more, though.

Joe Bernard

Apr 25, 2018, 7:21:15 PM4/25/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Cecily: I just got back from a 23-mile eChev ride and you are correct that it's still pedaling. Maybe not the workout I would have gotten non-assisted, but I wouldn't have made that run today in the time I had available otherwise. I totally agree with you that we're still out there spinning pedals and getting sun and breathing air..it's a GOOD thing!

Cecily Walker

Apr 28, 2018, 1:38:26 AM4/28/18
to RBW Owners Bunch

Here's Rizzo just before a huge gust of wind blew her over on her side.

On Monday, April 23, 2018 at 6:44:53 PM UTC-7, Cecily Walker wrote:
Db1A9urU0AAiCpH.jpg

Joe Bernard

Apr 28, 2018, 2:15:37 AM4/28/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Swanky!

David Person

May 7, 2018, 1:52:17 PM5/7/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
While not Rivendell's, at least Riv-ish.

IMG_0592.jpg

Joe Bernard

May 11, 2018, 4:36:47 PM5/11/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Putting this here 'cause this is the unofficial Riv e-mixte thread. Took the eChev fireroading, observe dirt!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/bzGK46mLEYzeDXwb2

KC

May 12, 2018, 10:02:04 AM5/12/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Joe, you have obviously converted several bikes to ebikes.  Looks like we may be moving to a hilly area that may warrant conversions to get us through a few areas.  Not sure if I would convert my Cheviot or Soma Groove (assume it can be converted and then I wouldn't be messing with my favorite).  Can you help with input on the process and determining if a bike is good candidate?  Please feel free to respond off the list if more appropriate.
thx

Joe Bernard

May 12, 2018, 1:35:28 PM5/12/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi KC, I'll PM you about specific kit stuff, but will address the bike candidate question here.

All things being equal - especially with the absurdly powerful motor I'm running, this thing would get me tossed out of Europe - a bike with v-brakes or discs like your SOMA can run is a better idea. My Cheviot is a great platform due to the stable handling, long wheelbase and low stepover, but it's my eRiv because I wanted a Cheviot and started it as a regular 2-speed bike, then decided it would be fun with a motor. I'm an experienced ebiker who knows how to avoid getting into braking situations that aren't healthy, and just added those funky red pads to increase the calipers' grip, but realistically this bike is underbraked for the application.

For anyone who really likes Rivs and really wants an electric one, get one of the long-stay canti/v-brake models. A mid-drive MIT Atlantis would be fantastic!

G.E.

May 14, 2018, 9:39:26 AM5/14/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
This is so awesome, Cecily!!! I'm so glad that you've been able to find a way to keep riding your Riv!

Cecily Walker

May 15, 2018, 6:33:33 PM5/15/18
to RBW Owners Bunch

I'm happy to report that riding my Riv eBike is super fun, and I get a fiendish glee when I pass people going uphill. :)

Cecily Walker

May 15, 2018, 6:35:54 PM5/15/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hey G.E.! *waves*