62cm Appaloosa

Jay Connolly

May 21, 2017, 10:45:54 AM5/21/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I just received my new 62cm Appaloosa. I have been on a dozen very short rides to dial in the small changes I have made to the complete build (most of them unnecessary, but nonetheless a satisfying response to my bike OCD and my pathological need to tinker). I tried the Albatross bar for a couple of days, but I am 6'5" with a long upper body, and it was just too upright--and standing to climb felt cramped and narrow. The bar is now a Soma Osprey, which is 710mm wide and feels perfect. I've long been a fan of Avid Single Digits and had a set in the parts bin, so a put those on, as well. Just Waiting on some 700 x 44 Compass Tires, which I will run with tire liners. That will be anathema to some, but I regularly ride a stretch of highway, and I've had good luck with this system in the past. Planning some light touring this summer in the Yukon and Alaska, and looking forward to riding this bike. Today I will get out for a long ride and see how it feels after two or three hours in the saddle.

IMG_0682.JPG

Carla Waugh

May 21, 2017, 5:20:50 PM5/21/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Very nice looking Appaloosa! Many happy miles! Please post pics of your Alaska adventure.

Jonathan D.

May 21, 2017, 10:47:07 PM5/21/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Congratulations! You will love the bike. I just spent a beautiful sunny day biking through Portland with my 2 year old. It handles great no matter what input to it. I love the stock bars but see someone even converted to drops but had a size down. If you sell the stock bars let me know. Enjoy the wonderful bike

William R.

May 22, 2017, 8:09:59 AM5/22/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Nice Jay! Enjoy it! I love seeing all of these different Appaloosa builds. The silver looks great and I like how the Soma bar and other black bits tie in.

Bill in Westchester, NY

REC

May 22, 2017, 9:58:06 AM5/22/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I especially like the contrasting black posts/saddle/handlebars.  Looking forward to your touring picture.