What tires are people running on their Hubbuhubbuhs?

Ray Varella

May 18, 2017, 3:00:45 PM5/18/17
to RBW Owners Bunch

Just curious what sort of tire choices people are making for their tandems.

I'm thinking about starting with something in the 2.00"-2.25".
Schwalbe and Continental both have some nice looking tires.
The Riv site is currently out on a couple of them but I can wait for a little while.
The largest Compass tires are a bit smaller than what I want.
I've been running Schwalbe Thunder Burts on a single for a few months and they are great but might be a bit less sturdy for a tandem than I want.

The HHH has a theme song by the Beat Farmers called "Happy Boy"
It seems rather fitting, cue the kazoo.

Ray

Ray Varella

May 18, 2017, 3:08:52 PM5/18/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Intended use is multipurpose, road, trail, hardpack fireroad etc...
Nothing technical.

Thank you,
Ray

lconley

May 18, 2017, 3:15:56 PM5/18/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Schwalbe Super Moto-X: 27.5 x 2.4 (650B x 62) - basically a bigger Big Ben. I have them mounted on the wheels, still waiting on the frame.

Shoji Takahashi

May 18, 2017, 3:37:19 PM5/18/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I've got Big Bens on my wheelset. Measure 48 - 50mm on the tandem rims. I'm a bit surprised that they ran that narrow... I ran 26" version of Big Bens on my Hunqapillar and really liked them.

I probably would have tried Super Moto-X had I known about them. But, then again, getting fenders and wide tires to fit can be a pain.

(Intended use is similar: commuting roads in Boston area, hardpack trails.)

Good luck!
shoji

Julian Westerhout

May 18, 2017, 3:55:25 PM5/18/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Ray,

I mounted a pair of Maxxis Re-Fuse 27.5 x 2.0 -- they measure just over 51mm mounted after a week or so on the rims.

They work great with VO 700x63 fluted aluminum fenders. Did a slight massage of the fenders following Anton Tutter's tutorial  http://tinyurl.com/n8wy8cb  to get the fender line where I wanted it -- but they were pretty close out of the box.

Julian Westerhout
Bloomington, IL 61701

Bill Lindsay

May 18, 2017, 3:57:29 PM5/18/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Good call on the Beat Farmers

I'm using a set of Pacenti Quasi Motos

René Sterental

May 18, 2017, 6:16:23 PM5/18/17
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I did mount the Compass Switchback Hill, 650b x 48mm and they look perfect. I got the regular version, not the super light at their recommendation. Haven't really ridden it yet, other than coast in my backyard as I'm still waiting for the Motolites (Paul had some issue with one of their machines and it has caused a big delay in making the parts that hold the brake pads, apparently; they promised they'd ship by the end of this week, but I'm not traveling on business and won't be home till Friday. I expect to be able to go on my first tandem ride during the Memorial Day Weekend!

René

On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 3:57 PM Bill Lindsay <tape...@gmail.com> wrote:
Good call on the Beat Farmers

I'm using a set of Pacenti Quasi Motos

Ray Varella

May 18, 2017, 11:49:49 PM5/18/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I suspect all the tires listed are great choices, there are so many good tires in this wheel size.

Iconley, Do those Super Motos run true to size or are they also undersized like the Big Bens.

I'm not planning on running fenders for the time being.

Thanks all,
Ray

lconley

May 19, 2017, 9:43:45 AM5/19/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I will measure tonight. They seem huge compared to the 650B x 50 Big Bens on my Bombadil.

Ryan Thompson

May 19, 2017, 12:52:01 PM5/19/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Big Bens here as well.

Ryan
Arlington, VA

lconley

May 19, 2017, 5:26:19 PM5/19/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
The calipers say 2.35" on the Alex Tandem rims for the 2.4" Super Moto-X.

Ray Varella

May 20, 2017, 12:50:35 AM5/20/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thank you Iconley

Ray

Jim S.

May 21, 2017, 10:47:31 AM5/21/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm trying Simworks homage - the pale green ones. Doing it for the color really. Combined with the orange - will need sunglasses to look at this bike.

Ray Varella

May 27, 2017, 10:40:53 PM5/27/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
We will have to see pictures of that combo Jim S.
I saw that orange and it's wild.

I went with the Schwalbe Super Motos. They look like big fat motorcycle tires. I'm looking forward to trying them out. I don't know how they'll ride but they should wear really well.

Ray

Jim S.

May 28, 2017, 1:05:20 PM5/28/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I attached a couple of photos. Picked it up Friday night. Rode Friday and Saturday. I'm delighted with this bike. The 43 mm tires are appropriate. Don't need anything bigger - the stoker is a skinny 12-year old who barely fits even with his seat post slammed.

Some reviews emphasize how "fun" this bike is. In some instances, when I hear that a bike is "fun" I think "slow and upright." It can be damning with faint praise, like when somebody wants to set you up with a girl with "a good personality."

This tandem is fun, but not in a slow and clunky way, or girl-with-a-good-personality way. I'm not claiming that we're especially strong riders, but we were buzzing around town much faster than we do when we ride separately. And then the fast riding feeds on itself. When I feel the kid pedaling hard, I pedal harder, and vice versa.

This bike is fast enough that I am already contemplating a shift to albastache bars, as my hands were mostly out front in the "aero" position, and I'm wanting some brake levers to grab on to when I'm out there.
IMG_4947.JPG
IMG_4948.JPG

Patrick Moore

May 28, 2017, 2:05:28 PM5/28/17
to rbw-owners-bunch
Very nice. This photo should be sent to the boblist thread about fender with knobby tires!

Am I right in thinking that the Riv tandem has an especially long wheelbase?

I recall a Bicycling or Bicycle Guide story from 25+ years ago, about a roadie father who took his 8-9 year old son as stoker on a tandem. He called his son "Turbo". When he needed boost, he'd yell, "Turbo!" and the kid would kick in. No problems with torque steer, apparently.

Keep us updated on the rides.

Patrick Moore, whose first experience on a tout 531C Orbit (Brit) racing tandem ended in disaster with a broken steerer tube (but just bruises, thank God). Talk about wag the dog, with an inexperienced stoker!

30% Supply and Demand discount, listmembers only, on all resume, LinkedIn, and writing services, until Demand equals Supply! And there's more! 10% kickback for any referral resulting in fully paid, list-price contract. And still more!  I am offering services in trade for a road bike, or frame and parts, that are period compatible with my AM hub, circa 1937 to 1961. See my website for what I do and what I charge; email for details.

Other professional writing services.
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, Nouvelle Mexique,  Vereinigte Staaten

Patrick Cronin

May 28, 2017, 3:53:51 PM5/28/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Jim,

You scored with the matching bar tape and tires. Also digging the small touches like the headset spacer in orange and the Paul skewers.

-Patrick

Jim S.

May 30, 2017, 8:39:26 AM5/30/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks Patrick. I think this is a function of having a year to contemplate the build. Glad to be riding the thing.