Spikes, Pedals, Shins

Ryan Ray

May 23, 2016, 4:29:02 PM5/23/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hey there,

I have clipless pedals and shoes and most of the things in the shoes ruse article don't really ring true for me. Clipless pedals are great and the longer the ride, the better they are for me. However whenever I put clipless pedals on a bike that is the bike I never ride, so I use VP-001 and VP vice pedals and have for years.
Unfortunately my shins are absolutely scarred by near constant scrapes. Walking my bike. Walking by my bike. Moving near my bike. My wife even drew blood trying to get her bike near mine.

I've started by removing (attempting to, some were stuck) the super sharp headless threaded spikes from the Vice pedals but does anyone else have any other suggestions?

- Ryan

Shoji Takahashi

May 23, 2016, 4:37:03 PM5/23/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Ryan,
Maybe try RMX sneaker pedals? I have them on my AHH, and they are terrific for Just Ride-- no sharp edges, look great, spin freely, and even have reflectors. (I do prefer VP thin gripsters for grip and trail riding.)

Oh yeah, price on RMX is v nice, too.

good luck, shoji

iamkeith

May 23, 2016, 5:21:19 PM5/23/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Man, you describe me and my struggles to an absolute T:  Clipless are still best for long rides; but I don't use a bike nearly as often if so fitted; I enjoy platform pedals most of the time;  but am scarred, scabbed and bloody all summer long.  I got all the way to shin bone last year.  I'm actively looking for some platform pedals with a more friendly - yet - still grippy spike.  Will let you know if I find something, but will be watching this thread no matter what.

At this moment, I'm adding some screws to some Grip Kings, but planning to set them very low and use loctite to hold them in place.

I'm also thinking about getting some shin guards for vigorous mountain rides, but that sort of defeats the whole beauty of platform pedals and not having to go through a pre-ride ritual.

I got some 5-Tennies a couple of years ago, which help a little. Because they stick better, my foot slides off less frequently, meaning less in-motion knocks.  But once again, that means having to use a specific piece of gear.

Steve Palincsar

May 23, 2016, 5:25:31 PM5/23/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Maybe your problem is you need better shoes to use with your cleats.

Ron Mc

May 23, 2016, 5:37:49 PM5/23/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
VP-001 has become my least-favorite platform pedal - the center of the pedal at the outermost point is like an intentional knife edge, and it's so far away from the pedal spikes, it's pointless for it to stick out that far.
The other pedals I ride, Raceface Atlas, Straitline Amp and Blackspire don't have near the problems with shin strikes.  But I do consciously spin the my-side pedal to the front position when I'm walking the bike.
The worst shin strike I got was on my Atlas pedals, because it was because some kids hiding behind pillars were playing chicken and jumping out in front of bikes.  I turned the bike sideways to stop it, and the pedal on the shin stopped me.

Richard Rios

May 23, 2016, 7:37:24 PM5/23/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'll second the MKS sneaker pedals. Good grip for something without all the shin eatin pins. I was actually really surprised at how well they gripped. I think of it like this. Thin gripsters too much, Grip Kings not enough, especially if you add any amount of h2o, sneaker pedals just right...just my 02.

Eric Karnes

May 23, 2016, 9:24:20 PM5/23/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
If you're looking for another low-profile option, I've had good luck with the VP-535 / VP Grind (I've seen them called both). They are cheap and comfortable. Not quite as grippy as the VP-001, but they work just fine in the dry with sneakers. And no cut shins.

Eric

iamkeith

May 23, 2016, 11:20:03 PM5/23/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Funny - I wear keens almost exclusively, for 7 months a year.  I was SO excited when they came out with those bike sandals.  But they're about 1/2 the width of their regular sandals, and I literally cannot even get them on my feet.   My SPD bike "shoe" of choice is currently the Nashbar sandal, which is really wide,  but tough and inexpensive too!  But, like the OP, my SPD equipped bikes just don't get ridden as much as a bike that I can hop regardless of what I happen to be wearing.

Evan E.

May 24, 2016, 2:11:23 AM5/24/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yep! I'll third the MKS RMX Sneaker Pedals from Rivendell.

Steve Palincsar

May 24, 2016, 7:03:56 AM5/24/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
That was meant to be a generic illustration.  There are several brands of SPD-capable sandals.

As for just "hopping on a bike" on the spur of the moment -- clearly some of you do that, but I certainly never do.

Ron Mc

May 24, 2016, 8:06:56 AM5/24/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
ok, but this is a spiked pedal thread

Belopsky

May 24, 2016, 8:53:18 AM5/24/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I wish Keen still made these - they have a commuter sandal now but it's more of a sneaker than sandal

Justin August

May 24, 2016, 9:41:47 AM5/24/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I will issue a "nay" vote for the RMX pedals. One bit if moisture and you have no grip at all.

It seems like the big problem with the VP pedals is that they do nothing to smooth out the corners in their CNC process. It's a very sharp, abrupt change in surface. I don't know if you can change that on a CNC mill but I do know my Paul equipment isn't similarly jagged.

As far as the spikes being too pointy maybe the model that uses standard bolts for pins would be less damaging?

-Justin

Belopsky

May 24, 2016, 9:43:01 AM5/24/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Lambda pedals are terrible when wet as well

Deacon Patrick

May 24, 2016, 10:34:11 AM5/24/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I love that my VP Vice pins are razor edged. They make the grip feel as sure with shoes on as it is barefoot without pins. I realize that is not a measure most folks have as a baseline, but barefoot on an unpinned VP Vice is a stunningly secure connection (and provided instant feedback and zero "slop." If it wasn't for the whole rock and root to toe thing, I'd be barefoot all the time. As it is, I'm loving my new Xero Z-Trek sandals -- a bit like Tevas of old but even more minimal. http://xeroshoes.com/shop/feeltrue-products/ztrek-men/ Just enough toe lift to protect against rocks and roots, and as close to barefoot as I'll get without being barefoot.

With abandon,
Patrick

Will Ashe

May 24, 2016, 11:36:48 AM5/24/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
+1 on the sneaker pedals. My Sam came with them, and they have much better grip than I expected. Also, they have built in reflectors.

BSWP

May 24, 2016, 11:44:48 AM5/24/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have Thin Gripsters on both Rivs, and supplement them with wide (& reflective!) velcro retention straps. The straps give me extra lateral support on long rides, I don't "pull up" on them at all. Sure, I have a few scrapes over the years, but I would not say the setup is prone to mangling my flesh... no more so that chains and sprockets are prone to shredding fingers. Maybe what helps them work for me are flat-soled shoes, no tread at all, just thin and flat.

- Andrew, Berkeley

drew

May 24, 2016, 12:13:31 PM5/24/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
my shins and ankles are permanently scarred from the gripsters. it never happens when im riding, only when walking or getting off the bike. most of the time i dont even feel it and then see my sock blood stained hours later.
that being said, i cant use any other pedals now. i tried lambda... too slippery. sneaker...way too slippery.  im trying the mks touring right now, and it's fine but i fear what happens when it gets wet.
i put some cheapish wellgo magnesium pedals on my wife's clem. she loves them, and they seem less sharp.  i may try those soon.

John Phillips

May 24, 2016, 1:23:54 PM5/24/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I thought this was what was referred to as "beausage."  ;)

Looking at the Riv staff bikes, it looks like they are just as divided on this issue as the forum is.

Has anyone been happy with pedal straps like Hold Fast foot retention straps? I see they now come in Bacon. Seems appropriate. :)

John

Steve Palincsar

May 24, 2016, 3:32:29 PM5/24/16

On 05/24/2016 10:34 AM, Deacon Patrick wrote:
> I love that my VP Vice pins are razor edged. They make the grip feel
> as sure with shoes on as it is barefoot without pins. I realize that
> is not a measure most folks have as a baseline, but barefoot on an
> unpinned VP Vice is a stunningly secure connection (and provided
> instant feedback and zero "slop."

You mean, as those razor edged pins sink into the calluses on your feet,
making a nice and secure albeit sometimes bloody connection? And how are
your shins when you accidentally kick the pedal around to get it up to
the starting position and it goes too far and whirls around, sinking
those razor edged pins into your shin?

Scars and blood dripping down the front of your leg -- so yesterday.
Been there, done that, and I'm done with it.

Ryan Ray

May 24, 2016, 4:29:11 PM5/24/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I removed the ultra sharp spikes (the same ones found all over the thin-gripsters) and I noticed a huge improvement. I did notice less retention but now they are similar to clipless pedals with a bunch of float. My shoes never wanted to slip out but they were able to freely change angles. Not quite as grippy but worth the less-beusaged shins.

Ryan Ray

May 24, 2016, 4:30:00 PM5/24/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
This was from the VP Vice pedals which come with smoother pins and the super sharp pins too. Still need to file down those edges.

iamkeith

May 24, 2016, 4:34:23 PM5/24/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Ryan,

Perhaps this is what you were saying, but have you tried replacing the sharpened screws on the Vice pedals with standard, M4 hex bolts.  If you could find a bolt that stuck up just 1 to 1 1/2 mm above the platform, it may be "just enough" grip, without being too sharp.

Here's a good illustration of both VP pedals, plus other Riv/MKS Pedals.  The screw spikes on the Vice seem like they'd be easier to remove and replace and experiment with than the Thin Gripsters:

iamkeith

May 24, 2016, 4:36:54 PM5/24/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Well,   I posted that last question as you were posting.  Ironic timing.

I'm still curious how a regular bolt would work, though, rather than none at all.
Message has been deleted

Daniel D.

May 24, 2016, 6:18:24 PM5/24/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I wish you ran a sports book:p.  While not as dramatic as steve's description seems we have plenty of scraped shins in the group.  When was the last time you read a JRA and poof fingers in chain and sprocket story?

On Tuesday, May 24, 2016 at 8:44:48 AM UTC-7, BSWP wrote:
Sure, I have a few scrapes over the years, but I would not say the setup is prone to mangling my flesh... no more so that chains and sprockets are prone to shredding fingers.

- Andrew, Berkeley

Richard

May 25, 2016, 8:33:17 AM5/25/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I've been using platform pedals for several years and might have been bitten by the pins once or twice. Really not an issue.

I recently bought a pair of Five Ten sneakers for cycling with platform pedals. Big improvement over riding with running sneakers. I'm impressed. Ridiculously expensive, I know, but worth it.

Jay in Tel Aviv

May 25, 2016, 3:29:48 PM5/25/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
My shins had a terrible time with Lambdas. I've been using VP001s for a couple years now without shincident :)

JohnS

May 25, 2016, 4:20:04 PM5/25/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Anybody that's not happy with their VP thin gripster peddles and would like to sell them, let me know. I picked up a used pair off of e-buy a month ago and I really like them, sharp pins and all. I've had a few bad wacks from my spiked platform peddles, but I still prefer them over others.

Thanks,
JohnS

Clayton.sf

May 25, 2016, 11:28:54 PM5/25/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
My shins are always dinged up a little. Bloodletting helps get rid of excess iron. Just a minor price to pay. Compared to skateboarding it is very affordable.

Clayton Scott
SF, CA

René Sterental

May 26, 2016, 12:06:47 AM5/26/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I have a pair I want to sell. I'm using DMR Vault pedals wish I prefer since they're wider even though they bloody my legs every now and then and I have permanent scars as well.

Jack B

Mike in WA

May 26, 2016, 2:05:16 AM5/26/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have yet to suffer grievous bodily harm after using 45North pedals, and they sell their replacement spikes. They are pretty rounded on top but also very grippy. And orange, the fastest color!

Irving

Jun 22, 2016, 4:54:22 PM6/22/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm another member who is on the "shins marred by pedal spikes" list, and have since gone back to MKS Slip Kings.

I've been curious, has anyone tried out Ergon PC-2 pedals? They probably look pretty dorky and you can just tape skate grip tape on your current pedals but I may be interested in trying them out.

Lungimsam

Jun 22, 2016, 6:20:13 PM6/22/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I ride with MKS Touring pedals.
So far plenty of grip with Nike Sneakers, even in a rainy 200k.

James Chang

Jun 22, 2016, 10:12:22 PM6/22/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I ride platforms all day.  Have MKS Lambda without pins, VP Gripster with sharp pins, and VP Vice with smooth top pins.  Shin bloody every time with the Gripster as the pins are sharp.  No issues with the Lambda and Vice at all.  The smooth top pins from VP definitely preferred.

James Chang
Taipei, Taiwan

On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 6:20 AM, Lungimsam <john1...@gmail.com> wrote:
I ride with MKS Touring pedals.
So far plenty of grip with Nike Sneakers, even in a rainy 200k.

*** club sandwich, not seal ***

Michael Morrissey

Jun 23, 2016, 8:25:35 AM6/23/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I love the VP Vice pedals so much that I bought 3 pairs of them.  I'm pretty clumsy, but I've only scraped my shins once or twice.  They did really scrape up my nice leather shoes once when I was riding to work.  I decided to never again ride with those shoes.

Has anyone tried the VP Aim pedals or the VP Harrier pedals???  I'm curious.

http://www.bikerumor.com/2015/02/12/vp-aims-to-bite-into-platform-market-with-new-light-thin-and-affordable-pedals/

John

Jun 23, 2016, 12:33:07 PM6/23/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi,

I have silver VP Harriers on my AHH. I opened them up to grease them before I put them on, and they don't look like they would be super durable. Check their spindle for grease before you put them on your bike.

They appear less durable that the VP Vice pedals, but have a larger platform.

Comparing VP Vice pedals to VP Harriers reminds me of someone choosing between a medium or large Wald's basket for a Mark's rack. Maybe the larger platform is not the wisest choice.

I recently picked up a pair of DMR Vaults on sale, and their effective shoe/pedal interface is nearly the same as the VP Harriers, and they look like they will hold up to more use/abuse.  (I have way too many sets of pedals)

Plus the Vaults have more pin options to customize your grip: from nippy baby Velociraptor up to ravenous, leg-chewing daddy Velociraptor. Or you can go the vegetarian route, and use Hold Fast straps. And Vaults come in more colors, from sedate to garish.

If a heavier, crazier, reckless friend asked me, I would recommend the DMR Vaults or VP Vice pedals over the VP Harriers.

John

Ron Mc

Jun 23, 2016, 1:08:28 PM6/23/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
after striking a pedal and wrecking my ankle over winter on my low-clearance Raleigh, I went to narrow Blackspire El Gordos.
They have 8 stubby spikes on each side, unlikely to mark your shin, and are good touring pedals for ice-skate feet.  I just knocked 35 mi on it this morning.
A bit wider version (though still a reasonable 92mm narrow) with many more stubby spikes is the Big Slim.
These still aren't what you want for aggressive downhill (those are the sticky cut-you spikes), but good touring platforms.

Ryan Ray

Jun 23, 2016, 1:36:39 PM6/23/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I prefer my VICE pedals now that I removed the sharp spikes. Protip: remove the sharp spikes BEFORE you use them.

For my VP-001s I just screwed in the sharp pins (specially the interior ones) so they don't stick out so much.

- Ryan

René Sterental

Jun 23, 2016, 2:00:47 PM6/23/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I've been using the Vaults on all my bikes for the last couple of years. They're wonderful and I have their marks on my legs.

René

René Sterental

Jun 23, 2016, 2:01:16 PM6/23/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
May need to look at customizing the pins... :-)