Quickbeam vs. Simpleone: What's the difference?

Tim Whalen

May 30, 2013, 12:35:36 PM5/30/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I can't tell if these are the exact same frame built different places or what?

Does anyone know what is different between the two, if anything?

Thanks,
Tim

Robert F. Harrison

May 30, 2013, 4:42:15 PM5/30/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
From the January 10, 2010 blug (http://rivbike.tumblr.com/post/5164516900/in-about-a-month-well-have-simpleone-frames)

"And the Quickbeam is gone and will be replaced with the SimpleOne. Same geometry, basically same frame and lugs and crown and bb and dropouts and everything, but made in Taiwan, so it costs less. I wonder how they’ll go, because you never can tell with one-speeds. So many people convert old junkers, and then there are Surleys for even less, and it all comes down to a guess. But this is a bike we like a whole lot, and so we’re doing one run of them this year, and that may be it. Frames will cost $1,000, with headset, seat post, bottom bracket — a 107mm Tange, which will work fine with the Sugino XD crank."

How the SimpleOne compares with the Quickbeam:
— Made in Taiwan by our Sam-maker. Hand-brazed. QB was Japan. Quality in this case is every bit as good, at least.
— Geometry is nearly identical.
— Same braze-ons plus a kickstand plate.
— Same tire/fender clearance (for 40mm with fender, or 44 without)
— Fancier  paint. With the cream head tube, etc, that many of our bikes have. Mark picked a dark slimy green that’ll look super.
— Brakes. Uses sidepulls or centerpulls. QB was a canti-bike.

As for me, I'm glad I got a Quickbeam from the final run as mine is a 66cm which is perfect for me. I could have ridden a smaller SimpleOne, but am glad I have the QB. Which reminds me, I've been riding my Hunq exclusively for a couple of weeks...time to get the QB out again. :-)

Aloha,

Bob

Robert Harrison

Christopher Murray

May 30, 2013, 5:22:38 PM5/30/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I can't add anything else in terms of their differences but do have a story. I bought a SimpleOne and when it showed up it was scratched. Rivendell took it back and as it was the only one left in my size they offered to paint it. It went off to the painter and is Hunqa green with cream details. But Rivendell didn't have any SO decals so they used QB decals and badge. It looks amazing. Is it now a QB or SO? I have decided it is a QB as it is badged that way and that Rivendell gets to decide.

I took this to mean that Riv doesn't seem much/ any difference between the models outside of where they were made and that isn't really enough to make it a different model. Toyo and Waterford both makes the Atlantis and if Riv says they are the same they are the same.

Cheers!
cm

Michael

May 30, 2013, 5:23:47 PM5/30/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I would love to try a Quick or Simple. But I'd need some low gearing like 34t up front. It still wouldn't be low enough for some of the hills around here.

I am pretty sure I would get hooked on it.

Montclair BobbyB

May 30, 2013, 10:14:21 PM5/30/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I believe my SO was one of the (if not THE) last one(s)... It has beautiful paint, but no creme headtube (all green).  It has canti studs, too.  It's PERFECT.

Tom Allingham has a QB and SO... What say ye, Tom?

Tim Whalen

May 30, 2013, 10:11:11 PM5/30/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks everybody!  Somehow I have ended up with one of each both 58cm, (notice the passive voice - I am sure I had nothing to do with it) and am considering getting rid of one.  Or of both and riding my Atlantis single speed which I have done before and enjoyed.

Micjhael, I am sure you would get hooked.  There is something about riding a single speed for sure.

Thanks again all!
Tim

cyclotourist

May 31, 2013, 1:53:49 AM5/31/13
to RBW Owners Bunch
You have a Quick One!

Cheers,
David

cm

Matt Beebe

May 31, 2013, 4:31:30 AM5/31/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations on picking up such a neat bike.      I'll add to the quotes StatrixBob provided, with the description below which is from the Riv site, and a post here on the ROB by Grant about the differences below that.     The HTA on the QB is 72.5 if you go by the geometry chart, and I think the tubing may have been slightly lighter.

"Rear Spacing: 120mm. A good width for a single-speed.

Tubing: Butted CrMo steel. The butts are 0.9, the bellies, 0.6, the seat stays are 0.9, so are the chainstays, and the fork is 1.1 x 0.8. If those numbers mean nothing to you, rest assured that they mean something to me/Grant, and they are good.

Top tube upslope: 2-degrees.

Other geologicametrical features: Like all of our bikes, the SimpleOne has a relatively shallow seat tube angle (72-deg in most sizes), and moderate head tube (also 72-deg). The BB drop is 73 when the wheel is centered in the rear dropout. This is a hair higher than our normal frames, but accounts for the possibility of a fixed gear and the higher clearance requires. And yet, it is still low-to-medium by industry standards."

From a post here by Grant:

"On the plus side: The clearance is more than on the QB. The chainstays
are longer. it has a kickstand plate. The fork crown is swirly-girly.
The rear dropouts are the same (our own) model as the Q's and the
angle is the same, so it should be doublable with the pads still one
the rim. But we're selling it as a ONE speed frame, and what you do
with it is up to you. We have QB cranks, though. The fork rake is
delightful. It's not a crafty artisanal frame in the megabuck showy
sense, but some details could certainly shame some frames that cost
thrice as much. I'm looking forward to mine. "

Allingham II, Thomas J

May 31, 2013, 8:27:38 AM5/31/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

I had both (the SimpleOne has since decamped to D.C., as my son’s commuter).  If I rode them back to back, the QB felt a tad quicker/lighter on its feet, the SO a bit more laid-back and comfy.  SO had 38mm Marathons, QB Jack Brown Greens, which probably accounted for most of the difference.   SO was built up with heavier parts, too.  But really, much more similar than different.

Both are wonderful bikes – the QB is STILL my favorite of all my bikes (including my Homer, Atlantis, Rohloff Bomba, and Proto-App Mystery Bike).  It’s the ultimate “jump on and go.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ****************************************************

To ensure compliance with Treasury Department regulations, we advise you that, unless otherwise expressly indicated, any federal tax advice contained in this message was not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any tax-related matters addressed herein.

This email (and any attachments thereto) is intended only for use by the addressee(s) named herein and may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this email (and any attachments thereto) is strictly prohibited. If you receive this email in error please immediately notify me at (212) 735-3000 and permanently delete the original email (and any copy of any email) and any printout thereof.

Further information about the firm, a list of the Partners and their professional qualifications will be provided upon request.

Bryan

May 31, 2013, 11:51:04 AM5/31/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
The sad similarity between the two bikes is that neither are being made anymore.

Bryan

Larry Powers

May 31, 2013, 2:42:19 PM5/31/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
My favorite two bikes are my Rambouillet and my Quickbeam.  Both are excellent bikes and what is it they have in common?

Neither is made anymore.  At my advanced years and barring a sudden impact, I should be able to keep both going until I can't ride anymore.

Larry Powers

Get a bicycle.  You will not regret it if you live. - Mark Twain

Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 08:51:04 -0700
From: bwed...@gmail.com
To: rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [RBW] Re: Quickbeam vs. Simpleone: What's the difference?

The sad similarity between the two bikes is that neither are being made anymore.

Bryan

Belopsky

Sep 28, 2016, 10:25:19 PM9/28/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Blast for the past but I'm somewhat interested in a simpleone or a quickbeam if anyone has one in 54

JohnS

Sep 29, 2016, 8:48:50 PM9/29/16
to RBW Owners Bunch, whal...@gmail.com
I'm partial to canti-brakes since I bought my first Stumpjumper back in '82 (I had two more in the '90's), so I'm glad to have a QB. It's a blast to ride! I've started a job near BWI airport and I'm planning to ride the BWI and B&A trails with it next week. May have to up the chain ring or size down the cog since it's not nearly as hilly here as it is back home in PA.

JohnS

Hudson Doerge

Sep 29, 2016, 9:39:27 PM9/29/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Simpleone is canti as well. Earlier info before it was released suggested it was going to be long reach calipers, but it ended up being built with canti brakes.