Anyone have a sub-25lb. complete Rivendell?

lum gim fong

Aug 18, 2017, 6:45:49 PM8/18/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
With 10+ gears, that is...

What components are on it?
Just curious to see.
Thinking of dropping weight for my component replacements.

Eric Karnes

Aug 18, 2017, 7:06:20 PM8/18/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
My 61cm Hilsen was just under 25lb...or at least was the one and only time I actually weighed it.

It doesn't completely meet your criteria, as it was set up as a 1x9 with an old Shimano 600 crank. Probably the biggest factor in reduced weight were the wheels. Dura-ace hubs laced to OpenPro rims were quite light, but still wide enough to hold Jack Browns or 35mm knobbies just fine. It also had a threadless stem and ran downtube shifters, so that likely shaved off a few ounces. I definitely could have removed more weight if i wanted to get fancy, but it was built up with existing parts bin parts (many of them of the standard Riv variety).

Eric

ted

Aug 18, 2017, 7:55:02 PM8/18/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yes my AHH is under 25 lbs.
If you are going down that weight weeny rabbit whole two things to do.
Weigh stuff yourself. Determine just how much lighter what you're considering replacing it with will save. Remember the most weight saving options are probably leaving things off.

Patrick Moore

Aug 18, 2017, 8:05:04 PM8/18/17
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Ling ago mr '03 Curt 1x10 weighed 19.75 lb with pedals and 2 cages.

Sent from my iPhone

Don Compton

Aug 18, 2017, 8:21:22 PM8/18/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
My 59cm Roadeo with an Ultegra 11sp group. Nitto bars and stem, and Williams Wheels weighs around 22 lbs.

Justin, Oakland

Aug 18, 2017, 10:30:34 PM8/18/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I feel like frame sizes and number of top tubes are important here...

-J

Patrick Moore

Aug 19, 2017, 12:20:35 AM8/19/17
to rbw-owners-bunch
58 cm c-c, 559 Sun M14A/Revolution wheels with 559 X 23 mm Turbos (24" diam), Dura Ace sp, rd, brake levers; Ultegra hubs, hs; Flite; Nitto stem, 185 bar; Phil ti bb; Pro 5 Vis single with 46 t ring; Am Classic 11-23 cassette (100" top gear, 48" low); Speedplay X-1 pedals; Nitto cages; Mavic Retrofiction shifter; removable left side dt shifter boss (thank you, Curt). Adding a 2nd chainring and fd and cable and shifter would have added about 3/4 lb, so total as a 2X10 would have been about 20 1/2 lb, mostly because of the very light wheels. (If the Elk Pass had been available in 2003, the bike could have managed firm dirt and weighed very slightly less.)

On Friday, August 18, 2017 at 6:45:49 PM UTC-4, lum gim fong wrote:
With 10+ gears, that is...

What components are on it?
Just curious to see.
Thinking of dropping weight for my component replacements.

Other professional writing services.
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, Nouvelle Mexique,  Vereinigte Staaten
Interested in trading resume, LinkedIn, and other writing work for professional (professional) help with marketing and growing my resumes, etc. business. Respondents should have considerable experience in helping small, online businesses grow. Please contact me at patric...@resumespecialties.com. Thanks.

islaysteve

Aug 19, 2017, 4:21:15 PM8/19/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Lum, My 51 Bleriot weighs 24 lbs without the V.O. rear rack that is currently mounted.  Build is drop bars, 8-spd 105 STI/brifters, no fenders, VO wheels and Pari Motos.  If I were to weight-weenie this bike the first thing I would loose would be the Brooks saddle.  It weighs over a lb.  I was quite comfortable for years on my road bike with a Performance "Titanio" saddle weighing half of what the Brooks weighs.  I'm sure that I would be fine with other lightweight saddles, but of course it's a personal thing.  My weight-weenie dreams will have to wait until I get serious about building up my Ti road frame again for a go-fast.  Honestly, the way to keep it light is to not carry stuff.  But that sort of defeats the purpose of a Riv, right?  Cheers, Steve

Patrick Moore

Aug 19, 2017, 8:31:43 PM8/19/17
to rbw-owners-bunch

My '99 Joe Starck custom road weighs 17 1/2 lb with no egregiously silly lightweight parts (there are 2 just modestly silly lightweight parts: a Phil ti bb, 113; and a ti stem quill binder bolt).

57 c-c, M14A rims with Revolution spokes, 70 gr 650C tubes and 175 gr Elk Pass tires + sealant; Phil fixed/fixed rear and plain Phil  front; 15 t cruising cog and 17 t climbing and headwind cog; Tech Deluxe 9 cm stem, quill cut down to Pearl length; Maes Parallel 38 cm (not to save weight; I like them narrow); 7410 seapost, original Flite, Pro 5 Vis crank with 46 t ring; DA 7410 pedals (360 grams; these absolve me of the sin of having titanium bits); single Iris cage; 7402 levers, left with lever proper removed, leaving only body with hood.

Marc Irwin

Aug 20, 2017, 3:26:32 PM8/20/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
How much difference will it make really?  I recently tried to figure that out.

Marc

Patrick Moore

Aug 20, 2017, 3:32:01 PM8/20/17
to rbw-owners-bunch
I like this:

and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

You certainly inflate your tires hard!

Patrick Moore, 175, riding 22s at 80/90, 29s at 50-55/60, 51s at 23-4/27-28, in ABQ, NM

Other professional writing services.
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, Nouvelle Mexique,  Vereinigte Staaten
Auditis an me ludit amabilis insania?

lum gim fong

Aug 21, 2017, 8:15:06 PM8/21/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Welp...I don't know if putting lighter components on will make any diff at all.
But might as well put on lighter stuff as long as I keep my desired functional features.

ted

Aug 21, 2017, 11:32:29 PM8/21/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yep, long as the dent it will put in your finances doesn't matter, and you keep in mind that lighter often equals less durable.
Have at it.

Christopher Murray

Aug 22, 2017, 12:53:30 PM8/22/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
“Strong, light, cheap, pick two”
-Keith Bontrager

True then, true now.

Chris

lum gim fong

Aug 22, 2017, 1:00:45 PM8/22/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
One thing I would not change is my Flyer saddles. They are worth their weight in gold. Maybe if they came out with a sprung Cambium. But I have to have my sprung saddles.

lum gim fong

Aug 22, 2017, 1:05:08 PM8/22/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
IMG_8175.JPG

Benz, Sunnyvale, CA

Aug 22, 2017, 1:50:59 PM8/22/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
My ~56cm Rivendell custom came to a little under 25 pounds, ready-to-ride. That means that weight includes a mini pump, tubes+small tools, a small bag to hold 'em all, and pedals ("official" bike weights often omit that!) Because I built it to be a randonneur-type ride, the weight even includes a Schmidt SON dynamo light+hub, fenders, and a small front rack.

Some highlights for you to consider:
  • Full Campagnolo Record 10-speed with lots of carbon, although no Ti cassette
  • Titanium bits like the Record seatpost, Ibis quill stem, rails on the B17, and some less-critical bolts
  • 32/36 spoked wheels with lightweight rims manufactured from Nb-Al alloy and DT Revolution spokes; brass nipples though
  • Lightweight Challenge PR tires with lightweight Schwalbe SV-18 tubes
  • Super-exclusive Nitto "Soba" handlebar :)
There's nothing that I will cringe at, safety or performance-wise, but some (bike nerd) effort and monies were spent making it lighter where applicable during the spec+build, although not after to achieve a specific weight goal, because there wasn't one.

Sadly, I wish I ride this bike more. I'm mostly on my 30+ pound Atlantis nowadays.

Tim Gavin

Aug 22, 2017, 2:14:44 PM8/22/17
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I had a Roadeo with a build from a 90s racer: Mavic Open Pros on Ultegra tricolor hubs, Sachs/Campaganolo 8s Ergopower drivetrain, Brooks Pro saddle.  It weighed about 21.5 lbs, and rode great.

But I never ride purely on pavement, so I sold the Roadeo frame to an appreciative new owner.

I could probably build my '97 Riv Road Standard with a lightweight kit and get it under 25 lbs, but I prefer it at ~30 lbs with 650b wheels, dynamo lighting, fenders, a 3 x 10 drivetrain, and a rando bag on a front Nitto rack.

Since this picture, I've removed the rear rack, changed the bar wrap to Brooks honey leather, and changed the saddle to a B-17 special.

Call Me Jay

Aug 22, 2017, 9:26:29 PM8/22/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I love this bike! I have a second hand custom that's set up similar---less Ti and no fenders. No scale here but I'd imagine mine is sub 25, too. My Legolas is also built up with Record 10 and has to well under 25 as well.

Kieran J

Aug 23, 2017, 7:43:04 PM8/23/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
My 68cm Ram is 25lb right on the dot! Shimergo drivetrain, Compass tires, Titanico boat-anchor saddle and Nitto stuff. That also includes two small canvas bags.
Not bad for such a lanky beast.

KJ

Bill in Roswell GA

Aug 28, 2017, 5:03:19 PM8/28/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Rebuilding a Riv Rambouillet in orange to make it a lively sport touring bike. Current config w Nitto M13 front rack is 23.5 lbs on bathroom scales. Once I finish it out will weigh it on Park bike shop scales.

Nitto road bars & Pearl stem
Generic bar tape that came on bike
Ultegra headset threaded
Suntour XC 2-bolt seatpost
Cane Creek brake levers
Shimano 10 speed bar ends (right indexed)
Ultegra chain
Ultegra 12-30 cassette 10 speed
Sugino Alpina triple crank & rings for 10 speed
IRD/Tange cartridge bottom bracket
Shimano CX70 front der
XTR M952 rear der
Chris King R45 hubs (silver), DT double butted spokes (silver), HED Belgium rims (black)
Deore XT QRs (silver)
QBP standard inner tubes
Soma Supple Vitesse 700x38 tires
Berthoud saddle - about same weight as B17 (may change to Cambium)
King Cage Iris bottle cages (2)
SR platform pedals for time being

Cheers,
Bill in Roswell, GA

Bill in Roswell GA

Aug 28, 2017, 5:03:51 PM8/28/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Frame size is 54

Bill in Roswell GA

Aug 28, 2017, 5:05:40 PM8/28/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Tektro R556 brakes

lum gim fong

Aug 29, 2017, 2:31:42 AM8/29/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Some high end stuff in there!!

I have a blue 54.

RichS

Aug 29, 2017, 1:16:01 PM8/29/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Bill, your orange Ram sounds perfect. Looking forward to seeing it in the "flesh". Thanks for the detailed description too.

Best,
Richard

Christopher Cote

Aug 29, 2017, 8:59:56 PM8/29/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
How's the clearance with 38mm tires?

Chris

Jay in Tel Aviv

Aug 30, 2017, 3:19:53 AM8/30/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'd be happy to get mine under 30

lum gim fong

Aug 30, 2017, 1:31:29 PM8/30/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
650x42B are what I consider max size with fenders on my 54 blue Rambouillet. Plenty of clearance.

Even without fenders I would not go any bigger though because with 42 the clearance is fine with the chainsatays but I wouldn't want to get any closer to the stays.

Fred Craven

Aug 30, 2017, 3:20:42 PM8/30/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
WOW that looks familiar, That wouldn't happen to be that which they call "Joel Green," would it?

Fred Craven

Aug 30, 2017, 3:35:47 PM8/30/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
In today's lightweight-breakable-plastic world it's easy for people to forget how light steel can be. Sure, Rivendell bicycles often weigh more, but they are built to last, and have more stuff attached to them. Back in the day...(OK, circa 1986) 20 pound steel bikes were available, and 22 pound bikes were readily available, and weights always included pedals and seats.

When my custom arrived from Joel (I bought it used from him) I weighed it without any of it's livery, just the bike with everything needed for riding...22 lbs for a 56cm. Once loaded and with some heavier tires it's a bit more, that's true.

My question is, "How much would all these other bike weigh with racks, water bottles, a pump, tools, a bag or two, a change of cloths?"