Schmidt hub drag on my newish hub?

Lungimsam

Jun 24, 2016, 11:48:04 AM6/24/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
You be the judge. Is this drag or regular spin time for a Schmidt edeluxe wide body 36 hole hub?
When I turn it by hand in my hands it feels notchy (normal).
When I spin by hand on the bike rack like in video, it makes a "vroooooomm!" sound as it turns with light on and doesn't spin all that much before stopping. Not gravelly or anything. Just a vibraty vroom noise and vibrations that can be felt if you put your hand on the front rack.
Is this all normal? Only about 3k miles on this hub. I have enjoyed using it but have wondered about this.

It is a for Peter White Cycles hub bought through my LBS last year.
Here is the link to the video:

Keith Muller

Jun 24, 2016, 12:05:29 PM6/24/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have 3 bikes with SON28 hubs. That vroom and vibration is caused by the magnetic polls of the generator and is perfectly normal. Switch the light off when while you spin the wheel and you will feel a change in the vibration. Also, make sure your front skewer is plenty tight. If it's loose, that can make the vibration and noise worse.

Keith

Howard Hatten

Jun 24, 2016, 12:05:46 PM6/24/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
My schmit hub spins the same as yours. I think we're good.

Howard
Livonia Mi

Lungimsam

Jun 24, 2016, 12:08:30 PM6/24/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
So is this drag that i feel when i spin the wheel by hand the same drag i have to fight against while riding? I have to spin the wheel by hand pretty hard to get it moving like in the video.

Keith Muller

Jun 24, 2016, 12:18:43 PM6/24/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
In a sense yes, but once the hub is spinning at a higher speed the drag is hardly noticeable. Your spin test in a repair stand is far from replicating real world use and conditions. Electricity is not free, even coming from a dynamo hub. If you want the convenience of a self sufficient lighting system there is some efficiency you give up in other departments, though I'd argue that they aren't worth arguing about(hehe)!

Keith

Peter White

Jun 24, 2016, 1:00:32 PM6/24/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Please read the section titled; Schezbzflat! My hub feels notchy! on my "schmidt.php" page.

All hubs have drag. A sealed bearing hub, like White Industries has drag. The drag is about the same as the work you do climbing about 6 inches in elevation every mile you ride. With a SON28, lights switched off, the drag is about twice that. So it's like climbing 1 foot every mile you ride. When you switch the lights on, the drag is dramatically increased, to the whopping equivalent of climbing about five feet every mile you ride.

This is why I have decided to give up cycling altogether. It's just too depressing.

PJW

On Fri, Jun 24, 2016 at 12:18 PM, Keith Muller <pharm...@gmail.com> wrote:
In a sense yes, but once the hub is spinning at a higher speed the drag is hardly noticeable.  Your spin test in a repair stand is far from replicating real world use and conditions.  Electricity is not free, even coming from a dynamo hub.  If you want the convenience of a self sufficient lighting system there is some efficiency you give up in other departments, though I'd argue that they aren't worth arguing about(hehe)!

Keith

Peter White

Keith Muller

Jun 24, 2016, 1:09:28 PM6/24/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Peter,

Your last sentence made me think of this:

http://www.lavelocita.cc/opinion-page/data-disconnection

Keith

Patrick Moore

Jun 24, 2016, 2:01:57 PM6/24/16
to rbw-owners-bunch
It has been too long since I last installed them to recall the details, but I know that, at least with some dyno hubs, you can hook up the wires the wrong way and get the wrong -- far too much -- resistance; in effect, using your hub like a magnetic resistance device. I've done it myself a few times.

OTOH, you do expect slightly more drag than with bare hub alone when the hub is correctly hooked up and the light on.

Your video wouldn't load for me, but you might check the installation once again.

Other professional writing services.
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, Nouvelle Mexique,  Vereinigte Staaten
The point which is the pivot of the norm is the motionless center of a circumference on the contours of which all conditions, distinctions, and individualities revolve. Chuang Tzu

Stat crux dum volvitur orbis. (The cross stands motionless while the world revolves.) Carthusian motto

It is we who change; He remains the same. Eckhart

Kinei hos eromenon. (It moves [all things] as the beloved.) Aristotle

Peter White

Jun 24, 2016, 2:07:31 PM6/24/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
That's hilarious. Thanks for the link.

And it reminds me of my cross country drive four years ago to Arizona for an eighteen day dory trip with lots of hiking through the Grand Canyon. By the way, highly recommended. Run by OARS in Flagstaff.

Anyway, I'm in west Texas when the engine in my car went kaflooey and I had to rent a car to get the rest of the way. My car has GPS built into the dashboard but the rental didn't. I was discombobulated! I've grown to depend on this gadget that didn't even exist 20 years ago. Duh.

PJW

Keith

Peter White

Peter White

Jun 24, 2016, 2:15:44 PM6/24/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
With dynamo hubs that ground to the fork via the axle, such as all Shimano hubs, you can create a short if the headlight or the taillight grounds to the frame and you don't have everything wired "power to power" and "ground to ground". But that wouldn't actually increase drag. It would just cause the lights to stop working. FYI: It also wouldn't cause any damage.

PJW
Peter White

Lungimsam

Jun 24, 2016, 3:25:05 PM6/24/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
So it is normal for this SON hubbed front wheel to spin such a short time compared to my rear wheel, which keeps spinning for a loooooooong time?

I can spin it up, go use the bathroom, come back and its still spinning.

Tim Gavin

Jun 24, 2016, 3:32:19 PM6/24/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I replaced my front wheel with a dynamo hub, and the difference between the two was about what you describe:

Phil wood hub, 36h laced to Synergy rim:  spins almost forever
Shimano DH-3N80 hub, 36h laced to PL21 rim:  spins maybe two or three times around before stopping

They both feel good on the road.  When riding, the dynamo hub doesn't have noticeable drag until I turn my lights on.

On Fri, Jun 24, 2016 at 2:25 PM, Lungimsam <john1...@gmail.com> wrote:
So it is normal for this SON hubbed front wheel to spin such a short time compared to my rear wheel, which keeps spinning for a loooooooong time?

I can spin it up, go use the bathroom, come back and its still spinning.

Peter White

Jun 24, 2016, 6:31:50 PM6/24/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Yes. It's normal. Use a really heavy rim, say something weighing 180 lbs or so, to replicate the mass of the rider and bike, and the difference in how long the two wheels spin will be reduced dramatically. The reason the wheel stops spinning so quickly when it's in a truing stand is that the rim and tire weigh so little. Another way of looking at it is, your body has much more inertia than no body at all.

You must take into account the entire system. A human riding a bike is rather a different thing compared to a bike.

PJW