New bike--Joe Appaloosa

REC

Apr 17, 2017, 11:29:57 AM4/17/17
to RBW Owners Bunch

Well, I finally did it!—I bought a Joe Appaloosa!  Riding it makes me happy.

I tested the Clem L:  very nice and I’d like it for riding around the neighborhood or commuting.   Then, the Sam Hillborne:  this was the one I anticipated ordering.   I liked the classic look and albatross handlebars.   It was nice and I liked the ride, but didn’t love it.

Finally, the Joe Appaloosa:  oh, my!  Smooth riding all around—the shifting and breaks were better than the Sam.  The tire size in the looks department wasn’t my thing (nor was the long chainstay), but boy did they help take the edge off of road imperfections.  I also didn’t like the look of the choco-moose bar, either, but it felt so right!  (It’s a good thing I’m not superficial.)

I bought last year’s mustard color model with a B17 saddle that Gravel & Grind in MD had built up on the floor.  I “girly-ed” it a bit with magenta handlebar tape.  I have silver fenders and a silver rack on order, and already have an XS gray Sackville saddlebag and a gray Sackville pannier.  James and Tracy from G&G were wonderful to work with and I highly recommend their establishment.

For my maiden ride with her (or is it “him,” being a “Joe”???), I did 20 miles in about 2 hours.  My speed and time was the same as I usually do on my ‘90s hybrid.  My sits bones and lower back will take a while to get used to the B17, as the leather saddle is certainly different from my gel one.  I will also lower the seat about 1cm.

Thank you all for your input to me and others here about “which one.”    My original post was to get the best bike for long exercise rides.  With your input, I went with the one that made me smile the most.

Roberta

Original post, Clem L (low bar) for longer rides:  https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/rbw-owners-bunch/VfynLD2KRk4/VbSe17Y3BwAJ;context-place=forum/rbw-owners-bunch

IMG_1158.JPG

Patrick Moore

Apr 17, 2017, 12:10:05 PM4/17/17
to rbw-owners-bunch
Congratulations! More photos a must!

Patrick "all my bikes are 'its'" Moore, who studied inflected languages not in ABQ, NM.

30% Supply and Demand discount, listmembers only, on all resume, LinkedIn, and writing services, until Demand equals Supply! And there's more! 10% kickback for any referral resulting in fully paid, list-price contract. And still more!  I am offering services in trade for a road bike, or frame and parts, that are period compatible with my AM hub, circa 1937 to 1961. See my website for what I do and what I charge; email for details.

Other professional writing services.
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, Nouvelle Mexique,  Vereinigte Staaten

Chris Birkenmaier

Apr 17, 2017, 12:11:52 PM4/17/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Congratulations on the new bike!  I like what you have done with it so far.  Is this a 51 that they had built up?  I called them about a week ago to see what there inventory was in the Joe's and they mentioned a butterscotch 2016.  In any event, enjoy the heck out of it.

Philip Kim

Apr 17, 2017, 12:17:45 PM4/17/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
nice! got my appaloosa frameset through them. great people

Ryan Fleming

Apr 17, 2017, 12:25:23 PM4/17/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Good looking bike and I hope you're happy with it

Ah yes...signs of spring...sore lower back and sit bones. Give it time; it will get better but otherwise sounds like you made the right choice. If you're smiling, you did!

Enjoy!

Bob Lovejoy

Apr 17, 2017, 12:36:21 PM4/17/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Great looking bike!  And I like the way you chose... the most and biggest smiles!  I also really the dash of color with the magenta bar tape.  I do remain envious of those with access to a Rivendell stocking dealer, somewhere you can test ride various models.  I am glad you had one there.  The bike was waiting for you!

Bob Lovejoy
Galesburg, IL

William R.

Apr 17, 2017, 12:36:26 PM4/17/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Very nice Roberta! Enjoy it. The magenta tape with the mustard frame color and cork grips all look really nice together.

Bill in Westchester, NY

LeahFoy

Apr 17, 2017, 12:47:53 PM4/17/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
It's lovely! I really, truly love the magenta tale, it makes your Appaloosa one of a kind. Now, let's see more photos with your new Sackvilles. I always think the best part of the bike is the bags.

REC

Apr 17, 2017, 1:18:55 PM4/17/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yes, Patrick, it should be an "it," being an inanimate object. Can I love an inanimate object?   I always admire people with exceptional language skills; mine are OK, but math was always stronger for me.

Chris, yes, this was the one on their floor and it was already built up with the saddle and grips.  I live in downtown Philadelphia, about halfway between the NY and MD dealers, and I did not want to drive to NY if I had an option to drive to MD.  Plus, G&G had 12-15 built up Rivs to test, so I got to test all three in my size.

The magenta tape that Tracy suggested is officially called violet, in case anyone wants that color.  I'm really liking the contrast between that and the mustard color (I think I'll start calling it butterscotch--sounds nicer) of the bike.  I also think that the silver and grey accessories will lighten the look even more.

I'll be taking it back to be adjusted and the accessorized in 2-4 weeks.  I'll post more pictures then.

About the sits-bones and lower back--I'm used to sore sits bones in the new season, but I never had a sore lower back.  My sits-bones are fine today, but my lower back still hurts a little.  Is this normal?  This is my first leather saddle, B17; my others were gel and I liked them just fine.

Thank you all!

Roberta

Belopsky

Apr 17, 2017, 1:49:57 PM4/17/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Is it normal? Probably not. Sounds like a combination of improper fit and weak core muscles.

Ryan Fleming

Apr 17, 2017, 2:35:27 PM4/17/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yes usually with me it is sore sit bones. This year some lower back  soreness , which  luckily is easing with each ride, so I'm grateful for that....think it may have had something to do with crushed L1 vertebra late last Sept. Until a couple of weeks ago, I was walking (which I do in winter) and not riding. I don't remember  lower back pain so much in prior springs unless it's a longer day in the saddle than usual , then my back might complain a bit

 In your case , Roberta it could be a fit issue , not necessarily a fitness issue :)

 Anyway, nice bike and I like the magenta or fuschia or whatever ya call it bar tape

Bob Lovejoy

Apr 17, 2017, 2:59:37 PM4/17/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Roberta,

I will throw in a few random comments...

First, a new Brooks leather saddle can be a far different beast than a beautiful, comfortable, broken in Brooks leather saddle.  That takes time and miles, also the patience and sometimes the tolerance (pain and otherwise) of a saint.  I would also ask if your sitting position on the Appaloosa is different (more upright?) than on your other bike?  That could certainly make a difference.

Which brings me to the last random comment and that is a bike set-up for upright seating usually is helped by a slightly wider/supportive seat and possibly even a very cool Brooks saddle with springs!   I know there are probably anti-springs people, so I say that cautiously :>) , but I will say a comfortable saddle, comfortable to and for and with *you*, is one of the most important aspects of a bike.  If it keeps hurting you, I would talk with the bike shop folks about a possible trade, though it could be fine with some adjustment in tilt, saddle height, etc.

Hope it helps...  I think I may just go for a ride myself!

Enjoy the new bike!!

Bob

Valerie Yates

Apr 17, 2017, 3:13:02 PM4/17/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Roberta -- Your bike is gorgeous.  Great choice.  Love the bar tape.

Following up on Bob's comments, I have and love my Joe and I have and love the B17 saddle on my drop bar bikes, but they did not work well together for me because the saddle is too narrow (for me) for the upright riding position I have on the Joe.  Like Bob suggests, I have a wider Brooks with springs (B67) on my Joe and I love it.  For me, the correct Brooks saddle is comfortable right away without a breaking in period. It just gets even better over time.

Val in Boulder, CO

On Monday, April 17, 2017 at 12:59:37 PM UTC-6, Bob Lovejoy wrote:
Hi Roberta,

REC

Apr 17, 2017, 4:57:37 PM4/17/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks again.  My sits-bones are OK today; I'm used to that "new to the saddle after months off"  feeling, so I knew what that was.  My back is hurting, but getting better.   I do have weak core muscles that Belopsky mentioned might be an issue.  I can work on that.

Also, yes, I am sitting a bit more upright on this bike.  I think I'll keep riding and by the time I get back to the dealer in 2-4 weeks, I should know if I need a new saddle,  or if it was just my body needing to adjust.

Roberta

Les Lammers

Apr 17, 2017, 5:38:07 PM4/17/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Very nice! It always takes me a while to dial a new bike in. Use some http://www.obenaufs.com/Heavy-Duty-LP-8-oz-p/heavy-duty-lp-8.htm on the saddle and leave it in the sun a while.
Message has been deleted

Austin B

Apr 17, 2017, 8:24:40 PM4/17/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Appa looks great!

+1 on the plug for Gravel & Grind. Great little store they have there (and Compass Tires in stock!). I've picked up a number of bits and pieces for my bikes--James is always super helpful. Go there hungry and get a waffle and coffee too.

Carla Waugh

Apr 17, 2017, 9:35:36 PM4/17/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Beautiful bike and I really like the contrasting bartape and the buttterscotch bike it's just beautiful!

mlpessar

Apr 17, 2017, 9:56:37 PM4/17/17
to RBW Owners Bunch

On Monday, April 17, 2017 at 7:09:24 PM UTC-4, mlpessar wrote:
Beautiful bike Roberta. The magenta tape and cork grips look great. I'll also mention the Brooks B67. I've started using one recently. I find it to be comfortable although new. It works well with the raised bars and upright position I have on the bike. Comfort is always good.
Wishing you many happy rides.
-Marc

RichS

Apr 18, 2017, 4:24:04 PM4/18/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
"Josephine" is a beauty. Congratulations!

Best,
Richard

REC

Jun 26, 2017, 2:44:41 PM6/26/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
This is such a great group and all your enthusiasm and niceness has made me even happier.

Here is my Appaloosa today.  Last month, I added fenders, a rack, and three water bottle holders.  The handlebar bag is an XS Saddle sack for phone, wallet, keys and snack; it holds quite a bit.  I will be adding a small bag to the saddle that will tuck behind the rack's tombstone for flat repair items.   That way, it will not interfere with my rack trunk, if I needed additional space.

I did place my pannier on the rack and immediately took it off.  I don't tour and don't think I'd ever need something so big; the rack trunk is fine.

In this picture the handlebars look really high.  I think it's a perspective-thing.

Roberta

On Monday, April 17, 2017 at 11:29:57 AM UTC-4, REC wrote:
AppaloosaWithRackFenders.JPG

Ash A

Jun 26, 2017, 4:51:27 PM6/26/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
That's a great looking Joe.  And very practical too!

Max S

Jun 27, 2017, 8:36:43 AM6/27/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
 I will be adding a small bag to the saddle that will tuck behind the rack's tombstone for flat repair items.   That way, it will not interfere with my rack trunk, if I needed additional space.

Kinda like this?.. :-)

Great looking bike!

- Max in A2
IMG_6790.JPG

REC

Jun 27, 2017, 9:38:18 AM6/27/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Max,

Yes!  I was thinking of using an inexpensive black nylon handlebar bag that I had, but hanging it like saddle bag.  I like your idea better because it's cleaner/neater looking.  AND, it color coordinates!  :)  Thanks for the idea.

What is A2--Arizona, Albuquerque, Alaska?

Roberta

Max S

Jun 27, 2017, 12:40:08 PM6/27/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
It's a square foot of tightly woven cotton cloth that Riv used to sell. I put the tools and spare tube in the middle and wrap them up like a burrito. Then a couple of rubber bands plus an old toe strap to bind to the rack (or under the saddle). Among all the different bags I've tried for carrying tools and spares, this is still my preferred method.

- Max (in A2 = Ann Arbor)