Dropbar Appaloosa

Sky Coulter

May 21, 2017, 8:13:01 PM5/21/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Well I bought a 55 appa, sizing down, and made it a dropbar bike.  I've been super busy for the last month or so and haven't had a chance to start putting it together until today. Happily, the fit is very similar to my 60cm saluki, just with more seatpost exposed.  It isn't done yet, but I think it's gonna work out just about perfect.

Sky in new west
sidebyside.JPG
superimposedbikes

Jeremy Tavan

May 21, 2017, 8:27:25 PM5/21/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
This makes me ponder finding a shortish stem (dirt drop?) and doing something similar with my Clem for a change of pace. I have some short-reach Fairweather MOD174 bars that might work...

/Jeremy

Max S

May 21, 2017, 8:38:05 PM5/21/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
What a great looking pair! Are you going for conservation of lugs per bike, with the lugged post on one and lugged stem on the other? ;-)

- Max

Sky Coulter

May 21, 2017, 8:44:05 PM5/21/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks Max.  I couldn't find a lugged seatpost in 26.8 and I was too lazy to redo the saluki cockpit

Jonathan D.

May 21, 2017, 10:48:08 PM5/21/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
That might be a good excuse to get a second or a Clem. I haven't seen any pics of a Clem with drops.

Bob Lovejoy

May 22, 2017, 7:21:08 AM5/22/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
It worked!  Both bikes are beautiful and the 55 Appaloosa really worked well.  Not that I have previously held to the guidelines, but there is a pretty good argument,, especially these days, that two bikes can cover 98% of the riding we are likely to do.  And these two are perfect examples.  Good eye and good choices!

And thanks for including the superimposed picture.   That is a great comparison.

Congratulations on the new bike and build!

Here's to great rides, exploring and adventures this year,

Bob L
Galesburg, IL

William R.

May 22, 2017, 8:02:47 AM5/22/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Well there's a couple of nice looking bikes Sky! The Appaloosa looks nice, long and low. I am on my iPhone but will try to open your super imposed image later in a photo app. I will never say never but I'm thinking drops aren't for me on my Appaloosa. I can dig it though. Interested in hearing your long term impressions of it. Enjoy!

Bill in Westchester, NY

Sky Coulter

May 22, 2017, 10:19:02 AM5/22/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Ya, I screwed up the second pic file name. Here's another effort:
superimposed.jpg

Sky Coulter

May 22, 2017, 10:26:25 AM5/22/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks Bob. I'd love to get to two bikes, but I'm gonna be at three for at least a while with the clementine for family rides and a sweptback position.  And then there's the 2016 specialized sequoia I haven't let go of yet.

And then there's the bombadil frameset. And the romulus frameset. And the classic Sequoia frameset.  And the 1985 trek 620 Frameset. And a couple others beside.

I've really got to build a couple up and sell them off.  I may hold onto the 2016 sequoia as my son likes it (it should fit him for highschool) and I need a bike for occasions where it has to be locked up outside.

-sky in new west

Sky Coulter

May 22, 2017, 10:34:01 AM5/22/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
That'd be cool to see Jonathan. But for me, none of the stack and reach numbers on a clem would result in a good dropbar fit. Although having said that, a 60cm bombadil ended up being an ok fit for me with dropbars -- it was just that the stand over was a bit too high. Having built up the 55 appa, I'm glad I chose it over the 58cm as I think I would have felt the 58 was a bit higher than I'd like as well.

Sky in new west

Bob Lovejoy

May 22, 2017, 11:40:23 AM5/22/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hahaha...  I almost threw in three, maybe four, as the perfect number but held off.

It was more of a theory really, a concept if you will... :>)

No, you make great choices in bikes and I really like the bikes you have chosen over time.  Anyway, good bikes need good homes(!), and yours is definitely one of those.

Ride well!

Bob