Old Quickbeam

abar...@olypen.com

Mar 31, 2015, 3:10:28 PM3/31/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I have an old Quickbeam that I am trying to get a little history on.  I purchased it used several years ago from a fellow who had an impressive stable full of spectacular bikes.  He said that he purchased it from the floor of a bicycle show some time around 2004.  He thought that it might be a prototype, but it does not have the fancy lugs that are shown on prototype examples in cyclofiend's website.  The trail grows cold here.  There is no serial number stamped on the bottom bracket where I would expect to see it.  Only the name Rivendell is stamped into the shell.

Did QB's have s/n's stamped like other Rivendell's?  Perhaps it is located in a different place?  Maybe it was on a sticker?

I was hoping to find this information as I am considering selling this old friend as my knees aren't enjoying the ss experience like they once did and I would like to offer as much information as I can.

Thank you, Adam.

Cyclofiend Jim

Mar 31, 2015, 3:53:33 PM3/31/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Back around 2007 or so, there was a unique one-off which showed up (I saw it down at the NAHBS, IIRC.)  It had horizontal rear fork ends, and was not a fully lugged model.

(OK... I just spent the last 30 minutes trolling through my albums and those which were still accessible... all to naught!  SOMEONE took a photo of it, and warn't me!) (Can someone post a link or email me that - I thought I had that in my RBW Oddities file, but cannot come up with it.)

There is also the original Prototype - photographed here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/fixedgear/12231398

which was the one used for the original announcements, etc. found near the bottom of this page:

- Jim

Minh

Mar 31, 2015, 8:24:24 PM3/31/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
my QB only has a sticker for a SN.

IMHO, a QB (or a Rivendell in general) is not a Herse, and a QB was always meant as an affordable bike so i don't see this as collectible.  Just my opinion, i'd price this like all the other QBs that have floated through the list and not worry too much about the provenance.

Patrick Moore

Mar 31, 2015, 9:02:06 PM3/31/15
to rbw-owners-bunch
I agree with Minh in a general way, but I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss the collectable quality of the better Rivendell stock models; after all, look at what happens to RB-1s and XOs.

The absolutely first criterion for Riv bike quality is the handling, and IME, having owned 5 -- tho' not a QB -- they are better in this regard, for my taste at least, than most of the many other bikes I've ridden. I expect that in 10 or 20 years, there'll be a strong market in used Rivs of all types.

That said, I'd ignore provenance, except in a desultory way, and ride the new bike! Hell, I'd ignore paint and cleanliness and ride the damn' bike!

Philip Williamson

Mar 31, 2015, 11:51:25 PM3/31/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
To be fair, used QB prices are about what people paid new. $1100 to $1700 recently, for a $1400-new bicycle but I only pay attention to ones about my size.

Philip
www.biketinker.com

Matt B.

Apr 1, 2015, 6:32:48 AM4/1/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Mine also has a sticker S/N.    If the QB fits you well and has been otherwise comfortable up to this point, I'd look into a SA internal gear hub like a fixed 3-speed, which you can just use with a freewheel.   good luck with it either way.

cyclotourist

Apr 1, 2015, 11:59:20 AM4/1/15
to RBW Owners Bunch
My green QB had a stick on SN. It was from the first batch I believe.

I think QBs hold their value the best of any of the Rivendell frames due to their low numbers, uniqueness and continued desirability. There is currently no similar Rivendell frame, so you can't get the updated, tweaked model like you could with a Glorius/Foy/Chevy. The Legolas is the other one that falls into that unique and NLA category.

Cheers,
David

Member, Supreme Council of Cyberspace

"it isn't a contest. Just enjoy the ride." - Seth Vidal

James Warren

Apr 1, 2015, 12:15:00 PM4/1/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

And I dare say the cantilevered Romulus. Although that one came by accident. Somewhat similar to the Legolas, but with a slightly lower BB.

James Warren

- 700x33

Joe Bernard

Apr 1, 2015, 2:01:54 PM4/1/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
The Legolas is still available off-book because of trademark issues with the Tolkein title.

cyclotourist

Apr 1, 2015, 5:52:00 PM4/1/15
to RBW Owners Bunch
True, but the Legolas still seems to have some uniqueness to it. Maybe the off-menu ordering adds to the mystique!

abar...@olypen.com

Apr 5, 2015, 11:48:39 AM4/5/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thank you all for the information.  Looks like I have a plain old QB in all it radiant glory!  I will be listing it For Sale soon.  Adam