How hot is too hot?

Tim

Jul 17, 2017, 9:50:32 AM7/17/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
The 5 day forecast here in KC is for mid to upper 90s (94 being the "coolest" high temp, 98 being the hottest) with lows of mid to upper 70s, sunny, 50-60% humidity and zero chance of rain. Light winds for this area, always out of the SW. Kansas City Ultra Cycling has moved the start time for Friday's Belgium Day 100K ride from 9:00 am to 6:30 am to beat some of the heat.

Personally, there are zero days per year that I consider too hot to ride. I sweat like crazy and I seem to hold up to the heat very well, although my fitness is not where I'd like and I need to lose weight, so I may not ride the Belgian ride, but I'll be on my bike every day, with rides between 15 and at least 50 miles. I am, admittedly short on common sense, though.

Anyway, I know it's hot everywhere so how about you guys? I know Riv's don't melt because HQ is over 100 degrees quite often. Stay hydrated out there! I'm going shopping online for an asbestos chamois!

EasyRider

Jul 17, 2017, 12:23:38 PM7/17/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Here in D.C., we're into our second week of mid-90s with high humidity, so the heat index has climbed to 100 a few times ... it was 106 last Thursday. 100 is about where I draw the line. Combined with air pollution, a 15 mile round trip commute downtown in those conditions becomes rather unpleasant, and probably unhealthy.

Steve Palincsar

Jul 17, 2017, 1:58:26 PM7/17/17
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

On 07/17/2017 12:23 PM, EasyRider wrote:
Here in D.C., we're into our second week of mid-90s with high humidity, so the heat index has climbed to 100 a few times ... it was 106 last Thursday. 100 is about where I draw the line. Combined with air pollution, a 15 mile round trip commute downtown in those conditions becomes rather unpleasant, and probably unhealthy.

A lot depends on where you ride, and specifically on how much shade there is.  I led a ride on that same Thursday in the Brandywine MD area, and I found it actually pretty comfortable and pleasant most of the time, except for the two flat tires I had.  Here's the route:  https://ridewithgps.com/routes/22794252  There was also an A/B leader; here are links to our ride reports: http://ohbike.memberlodge.org/reports/4975217 for the A/B leader's, and http://ohbike.memberlodge.org/reports/4975268 for mine.   Of course, even though it's not all that distant from downtown DC, there's a world of difference between the center of downtown DC and the heart of PG County's Rural Tier!

FWIW, I haven't found one single day this summer to be insufferable or too hot to ride.  But I'm mostly leading and I mostly get to pick and plan the routes.

On Monday, July 17, 2017 at 9:50:32 AM UTC-4, Tim wrote:
[...]

-

Ash [who works to bike]

Jul 17, 2017, 2:23:54 PM7/17/17
to RBW Owners Bunch

This summer I did 3 longish rides so far on my Appaloosa-  Mt Diablo, Mt. Hamilton and yesterday from South Bay area over Santa Cruz mountains to coast - 55 miles.   As luck would have it, any day I had any spare time was 90 degrees plus.  It was quite uncomfortable and difficult, given my lack of practice and endurance.  However, I didn't face any trouble during the ride or the day after.  I do two things (1) bring extra water and a bottle or two of sports drink (2) Take many breaks.

Some portions of these rides (while climbing, where my speed is  like 4 miles per hour) I took off the helmet and wore a hiking hat, which helped me stay cooler.  My thoughts same as EasyRider: 100 deg might be my cutoff point.

Lee Legrand

Jul 17, 2017, 3:06:45 PM7/17/17
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
EasyRider,

Never taken a ride in 95 degree weather in humidity but I do think, and to reiterate Ash, make sure you bring water on those rides to stay hydrated and be prepared to have more breaks.  Younger people can tolerate those extreme conditions but as you get older, you can less tolerate those conditions it may be that you should not ride because it is too extreme.  Hot and humid weather conditions on top of your body producing more heat and perspiration to keep the body cool is not a good combination.

Steve Palincsar

Jul 17, 2017, 3:44:24 PM7/17/17

On 07/17/2017 03:06 PM, Lee Legrand wrote:
EasyRider,

Never taken a ride in 95 degree weather in humidity but I do think, and to reiterate Ash, make sure you bring water on those rides to stay hydrated and be prepared to have more breaks.  Younger people can tolerate those extreme conditions but as you get older, you can less tolerate those conditions it may be that you should not ride because it is too extreme.  Hot and humid weather conditions on top of your body producing more heat and perspiration to keep the body cool is not a good combination.

Did you have any particular age in mind when you said "as you get older"?

Lee Legrand

Jul 17, 2017, 6:13:14 PM7/17/17
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Well Steve,

Everyone should take caution when cycling in hot and humid weather, no matter what age it is.  Dehydration is not notice at first until it is too late.  Saying that, I have no age in particular but if toleration of extreme temperature and condition is not tolerated as well as we get older.

GAJett

Jul 17, 2017, 8:59:19 PM7/17/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
In hot weather I carry a water bottle for "the outside", dumping it over my head and back as I go.

Dehydration is not the only risk.
Be aware also for:
* heat exhaustion (clammy skin, sweating profusely; stop, cool off, drink water and mild electrolytes, rest) and
* heat STROKE (hot dry skin, maybe listless; begin ACTIVE cooling and CALL AN AMBULANCE!!!)
There are other heat illnesses, but these are the big three.

Age, fitness level, weight, general heat tolerance, and becoming adapted to warm weather all have their contribution. A fit 70-year old near target weight who's ridden actively since cool weather will tolerate the heat much better than the sedentary overweighy 30-year old getting a first ride in on a "90°/90% day.

Anecdote: Shackelton's crew, left behind for a year in subfreezing weather on Elephant Island found the springtime weather just above freezing to be "uncomfortably warm".
Cheers!

Tim

Jul 18, 2017, 11:15:19 AM7/18/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Some good information on riding in the heat from a very accomplished long distance rider (and cycling coach).

https://groups.google.com/forum/m/?fromgroups#!topic/randon/TQh1XmLPp00

EasyRider

Jul 18, 2017, 11:32:20 AM7/18/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yes! With a heat index of 100 downtown, and the pavement simmering, ugh. But if I can play hooky and ride out to Great Falls under the tree canopy instead, well that's a nice ride.

Ryan Thompson

Jul 18, 2017, 12:09:33 PM7/18/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Tim,

I just got back from visiting family in KC and while I was there rode 120 miles of the Katy/Rock Island Spur trail from Columbia to around Pleasant Hill in that heat.  I thought I was prepared but it was brutal.  It reminded me of working on the family farm in July while bringing in Hay, and all you wanted to do was jump in the creek to cool off at the end of the day.  The key for me was to ensure I have enough water and take multiple breaks to cool down.

Now that I'm back in DC, the weather isn't much better.

Ryan

Steve Palincsar

Jul 18, 2017, 2:41:37 PM7/18/17
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

When I was commuting home from 4th & G NW in this kind of weather, I'd use up a water bottle full periodically wetting myself down with water on the 8 miles home.   "Pavement simmering" indeed.  Running the gauntlet of buses idling on Madison Dr was really special.

Message has been deleted

Ron Mc

Jul 18, 2017, 5:32:14 PM7/18/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
S. Texas here - if you don't like to ride in the hot, you don't ride.
I put Smart Water in my water bottle, take a banana for rest stop.
I ride in the morning, and ride the shady greenways to spend as little time in the sun as possible.

As long as you're moving, you feel cool enough.  It's when you stop that
the heat closes in on you, so I also pick my stops to be the shadiest and
tallest spots around, so they usually have a breeze.
As far as that asbestos chamois goes, you want the least insulation you can put on your body - I wear the lightest weight merino and MUSA shorts, and this the best application I know for a Brooks saddle.

dstein

Jul 18, 2017, 9:26:39 PM7/18/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
90 was always my cutoff point when I lived in Nashville. Especially since it was so humid it always felt like 100 or more. It's hard to find time to even ride in the AM a lot of times in that kind of sweltering, hot, humid southern weather as it barely seems to drop below 80 at night and picks right back up again as soon as the sun is out (maybe 6AM but i'm not an early bird, by 10 or 11 in the thick of summer it's too late). For road rides you might get a little shade but not enough to matter. Kind of a bummer since the winters can be wet, and the summers hot, it disrupts a lot of riding. I've been in DC a lot lately and even though its been in the low 90's it didn't seem as hot, and DC can get pretty swampy, but as mentioned earlier maybe it makes a huge difference to head out to the country there.

Now that I'm in California I don't have a cutoff. I've done a few rides on Mt. Diablo in 90 plus temps that was pretty uncomfortable but not a nightmare like a Southern 90 degree day in TN. Even on extra hot days out here it always seems to cool down at night and you have ample time in the AM to ride.

RichS

Jul 19, 2017, 11:17:28 AM7/19/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm also in the hot, humid south and I couldn't agree with you more on the MUSA attire matched with a Brooks saddle. The shorts provide good ventilation around the legs.

Regards,
Richard

Lee Legrand

Jul 19, 2017, 1:06:51 PM7/19/17
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I think everyone should take precautions when they cycle in hot humid weather.  Just because you are fit does not mean your immune from the effects of hot humid weather.  Either get outside early in the morning to ride or late evening rides and prepare for the weather at that time.  Do not leave anything to chance.

Patrick Moore

Jul 19, 2017, 3:32:50 PM7/19/17
to rbw-owners-bunch
I agree with Lee; on the other hand, one goes through, or can go through, a physiological adaptation twice a year upon the change from hot to cold season and back, and what one can take in the way of heat and humidity after a week or 2 of adaptation is quite a bit more than what one feels on the first really hot day of summer.

Running stresses the body more than all but the most vigorous cycling, and I recall running in the evening, after work, in full summer here in mile high NM with temperatures well over 100 -- I recall 111* one evening, back when I was still running; this on rolling terrain, so uphills. Of course, humidity might be 5% -- which takes its own adaptation -- but pacing oneself kept it safe.

Aside, about adaptation: I recall how, in late winter Quebec city, when temperatures soared to an unprecedented, summer-like 40*F, how people would be out sunning themselves on their balconies in their underwear -- well, long johns, but single layers, is the point. I also recall how, fresh from Quebec, 40*F felt like single layer weather when I was running.

Patrick Moore, who just rode in balmy mid-90s weather (humidity high in the mid 20s -- monsoon approaching) ABQ, NM.

Garth

Jul 19, 2017, 4:39:58 PM7/19/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
 When it's too hot, you just know .

These days I'm wearing a long sleeve Patagonia skin tight rashguard top(all black !) and swim trunks w/brief cut out. When it's really humid and hot, I just keep the top wet, and boy oh boy the cooling effect in the breeze is better than anything I have worn, including all loose fitting stuff. This works so well if it's not hot or humid enough I can get a bit chilly on downhills.