Quickbeam / SimpleOne Sizing?

Eric Karnes

Jun 11, 2016, 10:01:33 PM6/11/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi all-

I'm on the lookout for a used Quickbeam or SimpleOne to replace my old Trek as a city commuter. But I have a question about sizing. My Roadeo has a pretty similar bottom bracket height and the 61cm frame fits my 90pbh really well. So the question is, do I go with a 60 or 62 'SimpleBeam?'

Any thoughts? What are current owners' experiences? Thanks!

Eric

Deacon Patrick

Jun 11, 2016, 10:45:58 PM6/11/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
My PBH is 90 and I ride a 66 Quickbeam, but I'm weird that way. If you have/find the geometry charts, that's a great way to compare a frame you know to one you're considering. I got the 66 QB because I love my 62 Hunqapillar and it is the comparable size.

QB's are great, and well worth hunting down! Fantastic to ride.

With abandon,
Patrick

Joe Bernard

Jun 12, 2016, 2:08:06 AM6/12/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Here's a 60 SimpleOne. They don't come up often - I don't think many of *any* size were made - so you might want to hop on it. Pick up only in Washington, but maybe someone can facilitate buying and shipping.

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/112011978713

Allingham II, Thomas J. (Retired Partner)

Jun 12, 2016, 2:09:25 AM6/12/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
This is a killer deal. Great bike

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 12, 2016, at 2:08 AM, Joe Bernard <joer...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Here's a 60 SimpleOne. They don't come up often - I don't think many of *any* size were made - so you might want to hop on it. Pick up only in Washington, but maybe someone can facilitate buying and shipping.
>
> Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/112011978713
>
> --

________________________________

The sender of this email is a retired partner of Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP ("Skadden") and is not performing legal service on behalf of Skadden. Use by a retired partner of the skadden.com or probonolaw.com domain names is in his/her personal capacity and not on behalf of Skadden or its affiliates.

cyclotourist

Jun 12, 2016, 2:20:20 AM6/12/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Only if you live in DC:  local pickup only (no shipping)

Eric, I have an 89PBH, and own both a 60 and 62 'Beam. My 62 is a touch too big for dirt riding, so it's set up as my townie bike. The 60 is my trail bike and is great for situations where I need to put my foot down fast.

My $.02: I think you can ride either happily, but for a city commuter, the 62 would be a touch better.

--
Cheers,
David

Member, Supreme Council of Cyberspace

"it isn't a contest. Just enjoy the ride." - Seth Vidal

Matt B.

Jun 12, 2016, 6:52:09 AM6/12/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'd go with a 62 minimum.  I'm 6'0 with a 90cm pbh and ride a 64cm quickbeam, it's the one (most fun) bike I use for riding singletrack. I'm sure I could ride a 66 like Patrick.

Garth

Jun 12, 2016, 7:31:06 AM6/12/16
to RBW Owners Bunch

Eric Karnes

Jun 13, 2016, 1:52:13 PM6/13/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
thanks for the great responses as always. i saw that simpleone on eBay a week ago...it looks from the photos like it may in fact be a 62, but i may be mistaken. now i just have to figure out if i want to rent a car and go down to pick it up!

Brad

Jun 13, 2016, 10:12:45 PM6/13/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Where are you? You might be able to find a Quickbeam or SimpleOne owner who will let you take a test ride. If you're near NYC, you're welcome to try my 62.
I'm around a 90pbh and my QB rides great...although it doesn't have much seatpost showing. I like the way frame on the large side ride. And I seem to have long arms/torso, so big frames keep me from having to use really long stems.

Brad P.
Queens

S. Greco

Jun 14, 2016, 10:43:50 AM6/14/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
As a Simpleone owner who has had both a 62 and 60 I will say that you should seriously consider tire size before picking one if you are between sizes. The 62 would probably be no problem if you are running tires similar to that of your Roadeo - but if you plan on taking advantage of the generous clearance on the Simpleone you might find yourself wishing you had gone with the smaller frame. A set of 40c-ish tires are going to raise the top tube, and generally the larger tire / trail riding set up makes you want the opposite - a lower top tube.

If you're anywhere near Rhode Island you can ride mine . . .
It's also still for sale : )

Mojo

Jun 14, 2016, 11:19:07 AM6/14/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have an 89cm PBH anfd Grant has put me on a 61.5cm road bike. I am surprised he recommended a 61cm for you. Anyway I chose a 60cm Q for possible off-road riding. I have not found the lower TT to help or hinder when off-road. For one thing, this bike probably won't be used in the gnarliest (technical single track) off-road riding. Anyway I wish I had bought the 62cm. Here is what my seatpost and stem height look like with 89.2cm PBH. https://www.flickr.com/photos/79695460@N00/2760281945/in/album-72157607471577085/

David Spranger

Jun 15, 2016, 11:18:50 AM6/15/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
89.5 PBH and I own a 62 cm SimpleOne. I love this bike and the fit is PERFECT for me, but it is still in it's mangled state from a crash last year. One day I hope to either repair or replace it.

David

Jim M.

Jun 15, 2016, 11:42:34 AM6/15/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
On Tuesday, June 14, 2016 at 7:43:50 AM UTC-7, S. Greco wrote:
As a Simpleone owner who has had both a 62 and 60 I will say that you should seriously consider tire size before picking one if you are between sizes.

I agree. I have an 88.5 PBH and rode a 60 QB comfortably, but there was a noticeable difference in top tube clearance between 33's and 40's.

jim m
wc ca

Eric Karnes

Jun 20, 2016, 2:00:42 PM6/20/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
i'm giving the (what appears to be a 62cm) simpleone on eBay a try! i'll keep you all apprised of how the size works out. as always, thanks to everyone on the list for their expertise!

eric

cyclot...@gmail.com

Jun 20, 2016, 4:42:31 PM6/20/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
That's great, Eric! Should fit you fine.