For Those Who Are "In-Between" Riv Sizes

瀏覽次數:190 次
跳到第一則未讀訊息

RDS

未讀,
2016年8月12日 下午3:09:022016/8/12
收件者:RBW Owners Bunch

Just out of curiousity ... for the Riv models that offer fewer sizes ...  for those that have found themselves truly "in-between" sizes for a given Riv model that you just fell in love with, what did you end up deciding in the end?  Size up?  Size down?  Choose a different Riv model with more available sizes?  Decided not to buy or bought another name brand?  Went Custom?

For those that did size up or down, did you end up being satified?  Or did you feel that you weren't riding a bike that was sized optimally for you?  Keep the bike long term or sold it?

I wonder how many people just decide to size up or down and just make it work.  Too much seatpost and struggle to get the bars high enough versus bars high enough but the standover height is taking your life in your own hands.

Philip Kim

未讀,
2016年8月12日 下午3:34:192016/8/12
收件者:RBW Owners Bunch
i'm in between sizes per Riv's PBH sizing on 3 models.

Sam Hillborne - I could fit on 55 or 51. Went with 51 and fit perfectly.
Chev - between 50 and 55. Went with 50, a bit small, but still better than 55
Hunq- between 48 and 51. Went with 48, so glad I did.

Bill Lindsay

未讀,
2016年8月12日 下午3:41:302016/8/12
收件者:RBW Owners Bunch
"Just out of curiousity ... for the Riv models that offer fewer sizes ...  for those that have found themselves truly "in-between" sizes for a given Riv model that you just fell in love with, what did you end up deciding in the end? "

My in-between size story is in regards to the initial Hunqapillar offering.  When it was introduced, a massive 700c tired touring bike was a very novel thing to me, and I "just fell in love" with the idea.  I considered myself in-between the 54cm and the 58cm.   I loved how both rode, and rode them both quite a lot.  There was no standover room with the 58, and the 54 looked small and was too short in the top tube for anything but drop handlebars.  I ordered a 54, paid my money, and then changed my mind and used that money to buy my wife an Yves Gomez instead.

So, I have three take home messages

1.  If in between sizes means two sizes that will both work, then just decide, and decide to be happy with your choice
2.  If in between sizes means neither of two sizes will work, then don't buy either one.  That's what I did
3.  I reject the "just fell in love" with a bike.  "Love" should never force you to buy a bike that doesn't come in the size you want.  There is no bike that is essential for you to buy*.  Your bike ownership life is a series of infatuations.  The decision to buy is like asking somebody out on a date.  You like them enough to ask them out.  There is no test you can put on a person to guarantee you'll be with them for life, and there's no test you can put on a bike either.  Take the leap, and don't be afraid to get out of a bad bike relationship.  Fortunately, you aren't expected to be monogamous with bikes.

*OK, I retract.  It is essential that everyone buy an Atlantis.  But aside from that, there is no bike that is essential for you to buy

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

Garth

未讀,
2016年8月12日 下午4:14:482016/8/12
收件者:RBW Owners Bunch
  Yep, if the bike does not fit into my own criteria of what I want, then I'll always pass.  The current sizing method Riv offers their frames has never led me to have 2 options that I want, either it is, or it is not.  This, from buying bikes in the past that were not exactly what I wanted and "settling" for what I did not and then not liking to ride it . I do not enjoy selling things anymore too eiyher.  I prefer to spend my time and money on just what I want and leave the rest :)

iamkeith

未讀,
2016年8月12日 下午5:45:512016/8/12
收件者:RBW Owners Bunch
I'm most often in between sizes these days with the newer models, and have struggled with this question an awful lot.  I think Bill's advice above is generally spot-on, but will add a few anecdotes of my own, as possible other things to think about.

1)  Sometimes another legacy bike model (or combination of legacy & current models) might be a better solution, if you can be patient.  When I first discovered Rivendell, I wanting an Atlantis which comes in enough sizes that one of them "should"  have fit.  But I fell at that one big gap between the 58 and 61, and even those didn't fit perfect, so I never got comfortable enough to order one.   I eventually bought a 60 Ram which did fit perfectly, but was strictly a road bike and didn't do everything I wanted/needed.   Then one day, I found a used 60 all-rounder that was even more off-roady than the Atlantis.   The two bikes combined do everything I would have asked of the Atlantis, but fit better and cost less even combined.

2) Similarly, sizes of some models have changed over the years, and one in your size might have actually been made at one point.   A 56 Sam might be an example in my case.  Again, if you're patient and diligent, you'll get the chance.

3) Conversely, some models may change yet still, and eventually come in your size if you wait long enough.  In my case, it looks like the Hunq is going to finally be offered in my size - a 56, which is great.  There's no guarantee things will go this way though and, as with the Hunq and the concurrent switch from 650b from 700c, it may come with other changes that you DON'T want.

4) I don't think there are too many scenarios when I would suggest going with a too-small bike, because it affects your comfort so much.   But going slightly "too big" can possibly work satisfactorily- as long as you can at least straddle the top tube.   I faced this decision with the Clem.  I got the slightly-too-big 59 instead of the way-too-small 52.   I do agree that it's not worth buying something that doesn't fit right but, in this case, it was inexpensive enough at the early-adopter price to take a chance.   As it turns out, it is indeed too big to use it the way i wanted (off road, trails, stop-and-go towny), but it actually makes a pretty nice long-distance roadish / paved touring bike, with a bit different tires and equipment setup than I planned.

Joe Bernard

未讀,
2016年8月12日 晚上7:53:012016/8/12
收件者:RBW Owners Bunch
I bought a 45 Clem which was borderline too small for me (I didn't know this). I made it work and loved it, but a ride on a 52 told me that one fit better. Then I rode a floor model 51 Appaloosa which I expected to be too big with its dropbars, but I loved it and bought it. I just sold the Clem to help offset the price of the Appaloosa I definitely had NOT planned to buy, but it was strictly for that financial reason.

Ray Varella

未讀,
2016年8月13日 凌晨1:50:342016/8/13
收件者:RBW Owners Bunch
I'm in exactly that position now.
I really like the Appaloosa but the smaller size seems just a little small, while the next size up may have a bit too long of a top tube.
Has anyone had issues with that type of fit?
Seems like upright bars would negate a couple centimeters in top tube length.

Ray

Joe Bernard

未讀,
2016年8月13日 凌晨4:14:452016/8/13
收件者:RBW Owners Bunch
Hey Ray, long time no see. I definitely recommend riding the larger Appaloosa if you get a chance. The geometry sheet tells me the 51 with dropbars is too long, but it fits great. I'm about to try Choco-Mooses on it just because I have them, and I'm curious how it will fit.

Ray Varella

未讀,
2016年8月15日 下午3:14:412016/8/15
收件者:RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Joe,
I'll try and get over there for a test ride.
They look like great bikes.
I'll keep an eye out for you on yours.

Cheers,
Ray