Twilight Zone Tube

Deacon Patrick

Jun 25, 2016, 2:15:38 PM6/25/16
to Rivendell Owners Rivendell Owners Group
Now it’s flat, now it’s not. Ideas?

Details: Rode home from yesterday’s ride fine, rear tire properly inflated (by my low standards anyway. Grin.). This am: completely flat. Because of noise, rather than change the tube, I pumped up the tire with my shop pump and rode to a trailhead. ten minutes later, it’s at half inflation (20 psi rather than 40). I ran my trail, returning to a completely flat tire (as expected). Pumped it up. Trying to get the Zefel pump off was hard and the valve stem plug looked odd, like it had partly come out. Two hours later, it’s still holding air just fine. Scratching my head.

Garth

Jun 25, 2016, 2:26:59 PM6/25/16
to RBW Owners Bunch

It's likely those 2 Aliens up in the hills with their little "device" that causes things to malfunction and then function at will for humans , then watch their self divisive reaction ;)

In reference to the TLZ episode "The Monsters are Due on Maple Street" .

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3be9ej

Joe Bernard

Jun 25, 2016, 8:50:10 PM6/25/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Did you pump it up to higher pressure, thereby closing the hole around whatever opened it? I have no idea if this is even possible, but it's all I got.

Deacon Patrick

Jun 25, 2016, 9:24:42 PM6/25/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
No pressure gauge, so hard to say, but likely less pressure (35 psi vs 40 with the floor pump). 250 strokes, whatever that equals in a 2.1" ThunderBurt. Grin.

With abandon,
Patrick

Joe Bernard

Jun 25, 2016, 9:45:18 PM6/25/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I guess you could have inadvertently fixed a bad stem when you had that struggle with it. This probably makes more sense than my first insane theory. Or it's aliens.

Deacon Patrick

Jun 25, 2016, 10:15:33 PM6/25/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Bad stem is my best guess, but I can't explain how it went from fine to bad, as I didn't touch it at all yesterday. Shrug. The fun mysteries of the mechanical. Grin.

With abandon,
Patrick

Lungimsam

Jun 25, 2016, 11:05:45 PM6/25/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Loose stem valve core?
Spit on your fingers and apply liverally to stem over core. Bubbles? Sometimes you have to look close. Sometimes big bubbles peel away from stem. Tighten the valve core!!!!

A few of my Schwabbe tube stem cores were loose.

Deacon Patrick

Jun 26, 2016, 12:29:44 PM6/26/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
It was a small puncture in the tube. It apparently self-sealed for a wee while, until it didn't. Patched and ready to go for the next tube swap! Grin.

With abandon,
Patrick