Velo-Orange just saved my wheel!

Marc Irwin

Aug 21, 2017, 2:57:04 PM8/21/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I've been using their Anti-Theft skewers for years and just found out they really work!

Marc

Jay Connolly

Aug 21, 2017, 3:44:24 PM8/21/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I've often wondered about getting a set of those. Now I will.

Jay

islaysteve

Aug 22, 2017, 7:39:55 AM8/22/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Glad to hear that the skewer worked for you Marc.  I too have been using them, although in reality, I don't leave my bike anywhere.  Not to be a downer, but you should know that the hollow allen wrench "key" is widely available on the web, and from V.O.  So it's a measure of security but not too ideal.  You may also know that other companies make security skewers.  One is Hexlox, which also makes some cool security devices for all of the bolts on your bike.  Cheers, Steve

Marc Irwin

Aug 22, 2017, 9:55:07 AM8/22/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Oh, I'm aware it's just a hollow allen key, but does you normal wheel thief know that or carry one around?  I doubt it, I'm just glad to see it foiled one of them.  I was 50 miles from home.

Marc

lum gim fong

Aug 22, 2017, 12:55:31 PM8/22/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Did you give out a hearty "Mwah-hah-hah-hah-hah!!!", when you saw that the thief got foiled?

Glad you still have your wheel. Was it damaged or is it ok?
I use pitlocks but they are expensive.
Have to get some for the wife's bike.

WETH

Aug 22, 2017, 2:11:23 PM8/22/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Always great to foil a bike thief, even though it's disconcerting to know someone tried to steal from you.

Eric Langley

Aug 22, 2017, 8:13:24 PM8/22/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I've been using these in Chicago for 4 years now, and no wheel thefts.

Granted, I never leave them locked up outside more than a few hours at a time, but it's good piece of mind when I'm grocery shopping or watching a movie, and way simpler than carrying around a bunch of locks and cables for all of your bike bits.

For expensive saddles, I recommend the same hollow allen key trick using bolts from Bicycle Bolts

Marc Irwin

Aug 23, 2017, 9:58:51 AM8/23/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yes, it's a real boost to the smugness meter to fend off a thief.  The wheel wasn't damaged but the bearings needed to be adjusted, they must have been really stupid and tried turning everything they could touch.

Marc

Marc Irwin

Aug 23, 2017, 10:02:01 AM8/23/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks for the tip, I haven't seen those bolts before.  Right now I use a dab of silicone in the bolt head to deter a would be saddle thief.  Those look better.

Marc