What Bags work with Nitto F-15 Bar Sack Bag Rack?

reynoldslugs

Aug 25, 2011, 1:08:42 PM8/25/11
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have a Nitto F-15 mount. I also have a Sackville BarSack, with
which I'm very happy. I like the mounting system and the size, but
would like to have a few more options.

I am interested in finding other Bar Sacks that will work with the
F-15... it would be nice to occasionally use a larger or smaller bag,
or to mount the F-15 with other bags on other bikes, more or less
permanently.

Are there other bags out there that match with the F-15?

Thanks.

RL

Jim Cloud

Aug 25, 2011, 6:34:04 PM8/25/11
to RBW Owners Bunch
Guu-Watanabe in Tokyo makes handlebar bags that use the Nitto F-15
support rack. Here's a link to one page that shows their bags:
http://www.guu-watanabe.com/frontretroe.html#kevin

Obviously, with the current Yen to Dollar exchange rate anything from
Japan is tres expensive!

Jim Cloud
Tucson, AZ

Thomas Lynn Skean

Aug 25, 2011, 10:30:43 PM8/25/11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
But goodness those bags are gorgeous!

Yours,
Thomas Lynn Skean
whose bike hauls food in Guu Watanabe bags, in his dreams

Ely Rodriguez

Aug 26, 2011, 12:08:53 AM8/26/11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I'm working on a bag for Ron, it' a little Alex Singer type of bag that will use the F15. I'll take some pictures when it's done, later in September, and post them up.
I'm still learning how to sew.

Peter Pesce

Aug 26, 2011, 7:46:00 AM8/26/11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
This is exactly what drives me nuts about the Barsack and rack combo. You have a bag that only works with one rack, and a rack that's only good for carrying one bag. It seems totally anti-Riv (though I am aware that anything Riv does is, by definition, Riv-ish!)
They talk so much about versatility, having options, doing it your own way, figuring it out as you go along, and then they come up with the mother of all mono-task-ers.
I love the Barsack, and think it's beautifully made and very well thought out in every way but mounting, so I hacked mine to work with a normal front rack.
Sorry for the rant. Haven't had my coffee yet this morning! :)
-Pete

Ely Rodriguez

Aug 26, 2011, 10:24:24 AM8/26/11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
The F15 is beautiful and well made, but I agree, it will only fit one bag, unless you make a bag.

A traditional rack with P clamps on the legs would be more stable, let the weight sit lower, and will allow you to use any bag you want.
The rear tang can be bent down to fit a road caliper.
I'll take some pictures and post the first bag I made for this style of rack.
Just don't be shocked by the pink color.

joe b.

Aug 25, 2011, 5:29:54 PM8/25/11
to RBW Owners Bunch
The Berthoud GB192 bag fits the F-15.
http://www.wallbike.com/berthoud/handlebar-bags/berthoud-gb192-handlebar-bag

best,
joe broach
portland, or

Jim Cloud

Aug 26, 2011, 1:38:18 PM8/26/11
to RBW Owners Bunch
There aren't a lot of "off-the-shelf" mounting systems for handlebar
bags that Rivendell could have chosen for their "Barsack". If you
start with a premise that Rivendell wanted to produce a handlebar bag
that would fit many bikes that they sell, without having to make bags
sized to the headtube (e.g. Gilles Berthoud makes bags that range from
170mm to 270mm in height) that require a decaleur, a handlebar mount
bag makes sense. The Nitto F-15 bag support is beautifully crafted
and it works well with this kind of handlebar bag.

I've owned a previous model Rivendell handlebar bag, the Baggins "Boxy
Bag", that used the Nitto F-15 rack. I think the system works well
and can be adapted easily to many bikes without getting into the
complexities of a decaleur. (By the way, I now have a Berthoud GB2886
handlebar bag with a Velo Orange classic decaleur).

Jim Cloud
Tucson, AZ

Peter Pesce

Aug 26, 2011, 2:17:48 PM8/26/11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
No doubt that the Nitto rack is a fine piece of bike jewellery. I've no doubt it will mount to most bars easily. Though you probably want to take it off when you're not using the bag, since it serves no other function and looks like it would be pointy and menacing.
I guess I just don't understand why there needs to be an "off the rack" mounting system. Riv sells at least 7 models of front rack already - the Marks, Mini, Top, 2-Strut, Big Front, High Rider and Pletscher - all of which can be used for carrying many various things in addition to supporting a bag, and literally dozens of other front bags exist that don't seem to be burdened by the need for a unique mounting system, or even headtube specific sizing. Just seems uncharacteristically limited is all....

-Pete
Message has been deleted

Ryan J

Aug 26, 2011, 11:35:51 PM8/26/11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Wouldn't be a handlebar bag if it required mounting to a low rack now would it?

I have the barsack/f15 combo and think it is the bee's knees, I love the magnet closure and the way I can get into the bag while still riding.  I used to use an Arkel handlebar bag which worked fine, didn't really love the mounting on it (it is a unique proprietary mounting system) and it was all red (I prefer the olive/leather color of the Sackville bag), so I prefer the new setup.  I don't take the bag off at all, just keep it on the Sam at all times, and in that respect the barsack is great.  Nobody is going to walk off with it unless they have a screwdriver and a little time.

I generally ride the Sam with my tools, tubes, pump ect in a XS Saddlesack and keep food/windbreaker/sunglasses/camera/cell phone/paperback book and wallet in the handlebar bag.  This set up works perfect for me.