Custom bike

瀏覽次數:1,180 次
跳到第一則未讀訊息

Toshi Takeuchi

未讀,
2017年8月18日 下午1:33:522017/8/18
收件者:rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Hi all, I've gotten several questions about the custom up on Instagram, so I thought I would tell you about the bike.

I plan to use the 650b bike for randonneuring.  It has the dropout that allows a wireless connection to a Schmidt dynamo.  I'm planning to ride with 42mm Hetre/BSP tires.  The 42s likely wouldn't clear the Paul Racers without deflation, so I opted to get the Compass Centerpulls.  There is internal wire routing as well as some thoughtful braze-ons for wiring of the taillight in the rear.

While Grant was designing the bike, he had me ride the Blue Rosco Road.  The long chainstays gave the Rosco Road a fantastic stability in the ride, but the bike felt really nimble when I shifted my weight.  I know that I am going to love the ride with the long chainstays.

Can't wait till it's built up!

Toshi

Dave Small

未讀,
2017年8月18日 下午1:38:572017/8/18
收件者:RBW Owners Bunch
For those of us without an Instagram account, it'd be nice if you could post pictures of the bike you're describing.

Dave

Toshi Takeuchi

未讀,
2017年8月18日 下午1:48:232017/8/18
收件者:rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I don't have an instagram account either, but you can look at the riv instagram pictures through a link in the Blug.  Here is the link to my picture: https://www.instagram.com/p/BX6vQ-gl7WQ/

Toshi

On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 10:38 AM, 'Dave Small' via RBW Owners Bunch <rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
For those of us without an Instagram account, it'd be nice if you could post pictures of the bike you're describing.

Dave

Bill Lindsay

未讀,
2017年8月18日 下午2:14:422017/8/18
收件者:RBW Owners Bunch
Toshi, it looks spectacular.  I can't wait to see it built up.  I love that you went with the long chainstays.

BL in EC

Ryan Fleming

未讀,
2017年8月18日 下午2:17:122017/8/18
收件者:RBW Owners Bunch
Wow....nice...can't wait to see it all built up

Lee Legrand

未讀,
2017年8月18日 下午3:37:282017/8/18
收件者:rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Hi Toshi,

What do you mean by stable? Do you mean the rear does not wag when you climb out of the seat? (That what happens on my old bike)

Patrick Moore

未讀,
2017年8月18日 下午3:47:332017/8/18
收件者:rbw-owners-bunch
That's a beauty. Yes, lots of photos when it's built, please.

What is a custom going for now?

Lee: Toshi will speak for himself, but what I've noticed in all the Rivs I've ridden is an absence of twitchiness when you are going straight at speed, but also an absence of any hesitation or sluggishness when you initiate a turn. It seems to be a Rivendell quality.

On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 10:38 AM, 'Dave Small' via RBW Owners Bunch <rbw-owners-bunch@googlegroups.com> wrote:
For those of us without an Instagram account, it'd be nice if you could post pictures of the bike you're describing.

Dave

Other professional writing services.
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, Nouvelle Mexique,  Vereinigte Staaten
Interested in trading resume, LinkedIn, and other writing work for professional (professional) help with marketing and growing my resumes, etc. business. Respondents should have considerable experience in helping small, online businesses grow. Please contact me at patric...@resumespecialties.com. Thanks.

Patrick Moore

未讀,
2017年8月18日 下午3:47:552017/8/18
收件者:rbw-owners-bunch
Toshi: how long are those chainstays? >45 cm?

Interested in trading resume, LinkedIn, and other writing work for professional (professional) help with marketing and growing my resumes, etc. business. Respondents should have considerable experience in helping small, online businesses grow. Please contact me at patrickmoore@resumespecialties.com. Thanks.

Toshi Takeuchi

未讀,
2017年8月18日 下午4:14:272017/8/18
收件者:rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Hi Lee,

Yes Patrick is right, the stability is a feeling of being in control of the bike with the absence of any jittery feeling or twitchiness.  I had a similar epiphany when I converted my Ram from 700c to 650b and went from 32 mm 700c tires to 42 mm 650b tires.  The wide supple tires gave a strikingly greater feeling of control and balance on my bike.

--Not sure how long the chainstays are--I didn't see the final geometry on paper...

Toshi

Ryan Fleming

未讀,
2017年8月18日 下午4:44:002017/8/18
收件者:RBW Owners Bunch
For me it was 3500 for the frame with braze-ons for Paul centerpulls. + parts and labour and I got pretty fancy with the parts (Paul,Phil ,Chris King,  WI , lots of Nitto, Rich l-built wheels,yada,yada,yada. Fenders but no racks or bags)

On Friday, August 18, 2017 at 2:47:33 PM UTC-5, Patrick Moore wrote:
[...]

Ann L

未讀,
2017年8月18日 晚上7:24:302017/8/18
收件者:RBW Owners Bunch
Toshi:

The frame is beautiful.  I would love to see how the build turns out.

Ann

Tony DeFilippo

未讀,
2017年8月20日 上午8:29:212017/8/20
收件者:RBW Owners Bunch
Gorgeous frame, and I'd wondered about the details having seen it on Rivs feed so thank you! I love the idea of the son for connector for a no wires Dyno. That really seems like the ultimate indulgence in rando-frame options to me. That green and the Rivendell on the down tube is also superb.

Riv is the only bike company I know where the stock bike model names get first billing on the down tube. Really interesting because you have to be familiar with the frames to know it's a Riv. And then the cost of entry for a bike without the Riv logo on your down tube is 1.5-2x... I do think my Saluki would be 1.5-2x faster and sexier with Rivendell on the down tube. But other than a son connector fork and a touch more tire clearance I don't think I'd change anything.

Bill M.

未讀,
2017年8月25日 晚上8:31:372017/8/25
收件者:RBW Owners Bunch
This may have to do with some dealings with the Tolkien estate.  IIRC Grant agreed to stop using middle-Earthian related names for any new products but was allowed to keep the company name.  So, customs under the Rivendell name and the Legolas are grandfathered, but new products get names like Clem and Homer.

Bill
Stockton, CA

Christopher Murray

未讀,
2017年8月25日 晚上9:35:582017/8/25
收件者:RBW Owners Bunch
The Tolkien names thing was a story in several chapters. IIRC, it was originally stated that Riv was contacted by the movie people and told to stop using the Tolkien names that came after the production of the movies. A few years later Riv said that they had agreed to stop using the names voluntarily when they were contacted by the movie people. Next, Grant said that they were contacted by the movie people and Riv agreed to stop using the names voluntarily but the movie people really had no real legal recourse. Then Riv said they had agreed to not put the names on the website or advertisements but could still make the bikes and that it was all probably moot anyway because the movie people couldn't really stop them if they wanted to put them on the site but that it just wasn't worth the hassle and Riv went in another direction naming wise. I think that's where it currently stands.

I think the Rivendell/ no Rivendell downtube is just Grant's preference and possibly tied to the historical trajectory started with the multi-party Heron bikes.

Cheers!
Chris

Joe Bernard

未讀,
2017年8月25日 晚上11:52:352017/8/25
收件者:RBW Owners Bunch
The last part is definitely correct. When the Heron project happened the original Rivendell-labeled frames became customs, and it was ever thus through Atlantis, Rambouillet and onward. The model names took a turn to avoid Tolkein references later, but that was not the issue with the Rivendell name.

Patrick Moore

未讀,
2017年8月26日 下午1:32:562017/8/26
收件者:rbw-owners-bunch
I think there is a complication. If I remember correctly, Grant actually named his company after a '70s, US manufacturer of camping gear -- Rivendell Mountain Works? Whether or not it was they, they have a current web presence.*

*And isn't that a sinister phrase? (Whooo! A web presence!)

From the RMW "web presence":

The Back Story

Rivendell Mountain Works was the brainchild of Larry Horton back in 1971. The flagship products were both based on designs created by the late Don Jensen, who was a climber active with the Harvard Mountaineering Club, in the 1960’s. Larry had a keen sense of how to manufacture these products to a high standard and a design philosophy of adhering to a theme of simplicity. In the 1977 catalog, Larry wrote “In spite of our choice to remain a cottage industry-or, perhaps, because of it-we have managed to continue an innovative influence on the world of equipment for backpackers, climbers and skiers.”

One thing that RMW gear came to represent, in the 1970’s, was gear that was reliable and had great longevity. Packs and tents are certainly two of the most important items that you need to be able to trust implicitly. Even now the Jensen Pack™ is built to be far more durable than many packs on the market today. For longevity and during extreme use, it is just not going to come apart on you. These packs are overbuilt to the nines.

Other professional writing services.
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, Nouvelle Mexique,  Vereinigte Staaten
Auditis an me ludit amabilis insania?

John Hawrylak

未讀,
2017年8月26日 下午5:52:122017/8/26
收件者:RBW Owners Bunch
I'm confused on the Tolkien discussion.   Patrick brought up the mountaineering company which I remember GP stating.  The only Tolkien names I recall is the Baggins Bags.  The Bike names did not seem particularly Tolkien, Atlantis is a well know lost continent, not Middle Earth.

Anyhow, how did it get mentioned on Toshi's custom??

John Hawrylak
Woodstown NJ

Christopher Murray

未讀,
2017年8月26日 下午6:53:132017/8/26
收件者:RBW Owners Bunch
Legolas, Quickbeam, Baggins (a line of bags), and possibly a few others are Tolkien names. Someone mentioned that Rivendell doesn't put Rivendell on the downtube of non-customs and suggested it was tied to the Tolkien name issue.

Along with Tolkien, Rivendell was also an outdoor gear company Grant admired.

A bit off topic/ thread hijack for sure!

cm

lconley

未讀,
2017年8月27日 下午1:41:342017/8/27
收件者:RBW Owners Bunch
Bombadil - in the books, didn't make the movies.

Patrick Moore

未讀,
2017年8月27日 下午3:25:592017/8/27
收件者:rbw-owners-bunch
Legolas and Bombadil.

Patrick Moore

未讀,
2017年8月27日 下午3:26:412017/8/27
收件者:rbw-owners-bunch
Ah, and Quickbeam.

Dave Johnston

未讀,
2017年9月3日 晚上9:22:012017/9/3
收件者:RBW Owners Bunch
Any more build pictures?

Eagerly awaiting the full build!,
Dave

Fullylugged

未讀,
2017年9月7日 晚上11:07:582017/9/7
收件者:RBW Owners Bunch
And don't forget the Sauron MTB ;)

Brewster Fong

未讀,
2017年9月8日 凌晨12:34:452017/9/8
收件者:RBW Owners Bunch

On Thursday, September 7, 2017 at 8:07:58 PM UTC-7, Fullylugged wrote:
And don't forget the Sauron MTB ;)

You mean this one?

Bruce

未讀,