Spyshots of my custom mixte - happy days

Ryan Fleming

Jan 4, 2017, 11:36:11 AM1/4/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Mark at Rivendell was kind enough to shoot a few pics of my custom in progress. Inside shots but the color looks  like it turned out as I hoped

Hopefully you can view these.

Happy new year , everyone !
image002.jpg
image001.jpg
image003.jpg

Belopsky

Jan 4, 2017, 11:44:46 AM1/4/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
What brakes will you be using?

Shoji Takahashi

Jan 4, 2017, 11:46:39 AM1/4/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
wow! Happy New Year, Ryan.
Tailwinds, shoji

Ryan Fleming

Jan 4, 2017, 11:51:54 AM1/4/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Paul Racers

Joe Bernard

Jan 4, 2017, 11:54:25 AM1/4/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Oh my. It's probably good that that Riv decided to paint the one they're selling blue, 'cause I don't think I could talk myself out of buying it in your color. Gorgeous!

Ryan Fleming

Jan 4, 2017, 12:04:11 PM1/4/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks...actually the blue does look  really good ...and for Riv's sake I devoutly hope someone else out there thinks so too

lum gim fong

Jan 4, 2017, 12:30:04 PM1/4/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Congrats! Thanks for sharing photos! I saw a custom on organized ride once. Very fine definitely a cut above.

BSWP

Jan 4, 2017, 12:46:28 PM1/4/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
It's great that RBW is making brazed-on centerpulls am option for more frames. Whether Mafac RAID, Compass RAIID, or Paul, it's a brilliant and clean design.

- Andrew, Berkeley

Wally Estrella

Jan 4, 2017, 12:47:24 PM1/4/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Very nice! Enjoy the ride!

Allingham II, Thomas J. (Retired Partner)

Jan 4, 2017, 3:59:38 PM1/4/17
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
OMG.  THAT IS A GORGEOUS COLOR, GORGEOUS BIKE.

Sent from my iPhone

The sender of this email is a retired partner of Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP ("Skadden") and is not performing legal service on behalf of Skadden. Use by a retired partner of the skadden.com or probonolaw.com domain names is in his/her personal capacity and not on behalf of Skadden or its affiliates.

Ryan Fleming

Jan 4, 2017, 4:19:20 PM1/4/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
It is a beautiful colour...just as I envsioned and it'll look neat in sunlight too. It's a metallic burgundy ---from Joe Bell's chart of colours

And since I don't possess the mechanical /artistic skills   that you ,  Bill or   my partner has, I am glad that Mark at Riv is building the bike and installing the fenders and I asked for Rich-built wheels.I took some help from Grant and Mark for some of the parts picks...Grant persuaded me to try his Choco bars and Mark recommended WI hubs because I thought the Phil rear cassette hub price was a bit more spendy. But I like picking parts and I pretty much picked stuff I know and love; Chris King headset, Phil Wood BB , Brooks B-17 Select , getting cream SKS fenders, Nitto for bars,stem, seatpost, Sugino for cranks...etc. I have a few nice bikes but no place really to work on them....I rent...have half a garage but wouldn't feel comfortable leaving tools and super-expensive bike stuff locked up in the garage.

Anyway....looking forward to riding it come spring

On Jan 4, 2017, at 11:46 AM, Shoji Takahashi <shoji.t...@gmail.com> wrote:

wow! Happy New Year, Ryan.
Tailwinds, shoji

On Wednesday, January 4, 2017 at 11:36:11 AM UTC-5, Ryan Fleming wrote:
Mark at Rivendell was kind enough to shoot a few pics of my custom in progress. Inside shots but the color looks  like it turned out as I hoped

Hopefully you can view these.

Happy new year , everyone !

Chris Birkenmaier

Jan 4, 2017, 4:23:25 PM1/4/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Congratulations on that lovely bike!  Calls for some more photos once you have it built up.  I really like your color choice too - one of my favorites.

p g

Jan 4, 2017, 4:57:52 PM1/4/17
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Nice color choice! Congrats and enjoy!

Chris Lampe 2

Jan 4, 2017, 7:29:38 PM1/4/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
That is going to be a beautiful bike!!

Are those wheels 650B?

Daniel Betancourt

Jan 4, 2017, 10:02:19 PM1/4/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Congrats! I love that color combination!

Dan

Ryan Fleming

Jan 5, 2017, 9:39:03 AM1/5/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Chris...yes I'm going with 650B

Alex Wirth- Owner, Yellow Haus Bicycles

Jan 5, 2017, 9:48:18 AM1/5/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Cream fenders are going to look ace on this bike!  What a beaut.... love the direct-mount centerpulls...

Ryan Fleming

Jan 5, 2017, 10:00:21 AM1/5/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks, all. I feel  sure that the ride will be as lovely as it looks. Really excited about it. Quite a long wait, but worth it for sure !

Ryan Fleming

Jan 5, 2017, 10:05:14 AM1/5/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I had  thought I would go with Shimano CX70 Cantilevers, but Grant recommended Paul Racers and I'm glad I went with them. My old PX-10 has Mafac Racers with Kool-stop pads and these brakes may be 70's throwbacks , but I think they work really, really well for rim brakes.

Ryan Fleming

Jan 6, 2017, 5:29:27 PM1/6/17
to RBW Owners Bunch

Ryan Fleming

Jan 6, 2017, 6:09:57 PM1/6/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
geez what an idiot...rough day. latest BLAHG has some pictures of my new mixte...still not quite rideable yet but.....you get the idea ...apologies for earlier blank post

Les Lammers

Jan 8, 2017, 7:49:51 AM1/8/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Looks might fine Ryan! The Choco norm bars are quite nice. These look interesting too. https://www.rivbike.com/blogs/peeking-through-the-knothole/pneubar-pname

Ryan Fleming

Jan 10, 2017, 2:58:54 PM1/10/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
They do look like neat bars and I was willing to try something a bit different

I had originally ordered a 9cm Tallux stem but after mostly building up the bike ,Mark (and Grant and Will agreed) that the 9cm stem with the flipped Chocos which extend back way more than moustaches I usually ride with  gave the bike a twitchiness which was not ideal...too far behind the steering axis . I didn't know what to pick for a stem extension, really , so I just went with what I normally use with moustache and road bars. All ended well ; Mark chopped 14mm off the ends of the bars and swapped the 9cm stem for a 13cm,  so all is well. Must be challenging , though, dealing with a non-local customer, though...there's a lot of back-and-forth especially for a complete build. But they do an awesome job and they bend over backwards to get everything just right, so I applaud them for that.

Pretty much all that's missing from what I've seen so far  is the saddle and seatpost - B-17 Select and S-83 Nitto seatpost and some of those MKS touring pedals

Les Lammers

Jan 13, 2017, 5:31:13 AM1/13/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Interesting. What size is your frame? I'm still not sure about the stem size on my Chevoit or if the Choco norm bars will stay. Handlebar choice can be a slippery slope.

Ryan Fleming

Jan 13, 2017, 10:52:30 AM1/13/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Les

Same size as the holiday mixte....55cm

Ryan Fleming

Jan 13, 2017, 2:31:32 PM1/13/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Sure can be

In my case, I think that my frame was  probably  tweaked for the choco-norm bars...as opposed to moustache bars I typically ride. But since the Chocs extend back farther than the M-bars would, I needed  a longer stem to compensate. I'm sure that Mark or Will or Grant can explain this way better than I can and I'm sure  they'd be happy to walk you through it. Glad they caught that I ordered my usual stem length and kindly replaced it, tested it and  sorted out the issue

Ryan Fleming

Jan 26, 2017, 6:07:16 PM1/26/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Update...no pix yet. My mixte arrived yesterday. That bike was sure lovingly packed; I think you could have dropped that box from a 6-story building and had a gorilla dance on it and bike would have been fine. Nice packing job but no cat drawings - boo hoo :)

Took us  about 3/4 of an hour  or so to carefully cut off bubble wrap and semi put the bike together ...so sitting in my living room...prettiest thing in the living room

It is a sight to see in the flesh.  Long chainstays and all, the proportions are really pleasing and the craftsmanship is exquisite. The colour I chose is beautiful and I'm stoked with our component choices. This is not a winter beater,,,but can't wait to ride it in the spring. Looks like for the 3rd time in my world, Grant and company have hit it outta the ball park. And as always, a total pleasure to deal with.  Was a long wait, but totally worth it.

Pictures and ride report (will be different from anything else I own) to follow

Chris Birkenmaier

Jan 26, 2017, 9:51:37 PM1/26/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Congratulations Ryan! Getting a new bike is always a treat and yours is certainly special. Looking forward to the photos.

Les Lammers

Jan 27, 2017, 5:16:13 AM1/27/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Woo Hoo for you! Who says you have to grow up? I hope you can ride it a bit before spring.

RichS

Jan 27, 2017, 9:58:37 AM1/27/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Congratulations on receiving your long awaited mixte! I share your excitement in the unpacking ritual.

Wishing you an early spring!
Richard