Huge Rosco Mixte

MartyG

Jan 10, 2017, 3:28:08 PM1/10/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Pre-ordered one of the big ones! Can't see a single compromise to this being a real winner - unless you call waiting until summer for delivery a compromise. Looks to be an all-grown-up all-rounder if there ever was one.

Can't wait to see pics. And color. And a delivery notice.

Bill Lindsay

Jan 10, 2017, 3:54:43 PM1/10/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
APPROVE!!!

Edwin W

Jan 11, 2017, 9:18:40 AM1/11/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
God, I am looking for a hint of a way to justify this! Sounds so cool.
If I didn't get a Joe last year...
If I were big enough....

Can't wait to see these. That got me to review the other Bosco offerings and I thought this one would be cool for my wife or someone else around the house, but REALLY don't need to introduce another wheel size to our basement that has 16" kids, 20" kids bike waiting for the kid to grow, 20" folder, 24" kid, 26" kid, and 700c adult bikes.

Working on my mantra, "no new bikes this year" and struggling in the second of 52 weeks,

Edwin

Bob K.

Jan 11, 2017, 10:09:56 AM1/11/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Wow. This is a super cool bike! "I wish I was a little bit taller..."

Bob K. in Baltimore

MartyG

Jan 11, 2017, 1:23:41 PM1/11/17
to RBW Owners Bunch

Let the planning, pawning and parts swapping commence:

TA Zephyr crankset - Phil BB
Paul Neo-retro brakes & levers
Bosco-bullmoose bars
Silver bar-ends
XT rear derailer
Brooks B-67
Velocity/XT wheels
Nitto Big rear rack

Bill Lindsay

Jan 11, 2017, 2:08:39 PM1/11/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
65cm effective top tube length.  EPIC!

735mm tire diameter is a 29x2.2" tire, by my reckonning, and the frame makes those wheels look small.  That's incredibly rad.  The Liftatube is also a triangulation tube in this context, which is also great.  You tall folks are going to have some fun.

Daniel Jackson

Jan 12, 2017, 9:44:36 AM1/12/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm in. This will be the new toddler driver. Long CS and all that step over make for a perfect dirt road dadbike.

Jim S.

Jan 12, 2017, 10:22:57 AM1/12/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Re the long effective top tube on this frame, it's interesting to note that the Rosco Bubbe version 2, 55.5 cm frame, has an even longer effective top tube, 66 cm.  (Which I like.)

Robert Keal

Jan 12, 2017, 10:29:53 AM1/12/17
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Daniel,

Will this replace or complement  your Hunq?

Garth

Jan 12, 2017, 11:02:45 AM1/12/17
to RBW Owners Bunch

I didn't even notice those, when did they become available for a presale, or did they go that fast  ?

Robert Keal

Jan 12, 2017, 11:08:40 AM1/12/17
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Garth commented and asked: I didn't even notice those, when did they become available for a presale, or did they go that fast  ?

It looks like they were announced in the most recent BLUG post. Only six available.

Bob K. in Baltimore

Garth

Jan 12, 2017, 11:37:37 AM1/12/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Bob, they are already listed as sold out.

Robert Keal

Jan 12, 2017, 11:41:56 AM1/12/17
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
That was fast!

Garth

Jan 12, 2017, 12:45:52 PM1/12/17
to RBW Owners Bunch

I know !  . . . blug today gone tomorrow :)

On Thursday, January 12, 2017 at 11:41:56 AM UTC-5, Bob K. wrote:
That was fast!

Bill Lindsay

Jan 12, 2017, 3:10:04 PM1/12/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Will is gonna be thrilled that his design flew out that fast.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito CA

Kai Vierstra

Jan 12, 2017, 4:12:51 PM1/12/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I wish I'd had the funds to jump on this, but at least this proves there's demand and won't be the last set of monster step-throughs.

-Kai Vierstra
Brooklyn NY

Daniel Jackson

Jan 12, 2017, 9:16:31 PM1/12/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Bob,

I'm not quite sure. I'll have to ride it...

Abcyclehank

Jan 13, 2017, 4:36:18 PM1/13/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Lucky buyers. If anything changes your mind between now and delivery I will take yours off your hands. Have 100cm pbh and actually have considered a custom mixte because the largest Cheviot and Clementine did not measure up.
Also anyone looking for large Riv classics 64-68cm might be able to get me to part with one in my fleet.
I have a 68cm custom, 68cm Atlantis w/ a& s couplers,
68 Quickbeam, and a 64cm Bombadil.
Final option is a NOS never built up Betty Foy for a significant other by chance.

Ryan Hankinson
West Michigan
(616)928-4226

Ryan Fleming

Jan 13, 2017, 6:01:36 PM1/13/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I think that Holiday mixte is calling your SO's name....just sayin...and maybe Will's big mixte will reprise

Tom Harrop

Jan 22, 2017, 2:55:29 AM1/22/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I cannot believe I missed this. I actually asked Grant about a 64 cm Clem-L last winter after building up my wife's normally sized Clem. Grant said they had considered it, sent me the plans for it, and told me to keep an eye on the Blug. I missed the announcement and I see they're gone already.

Ah well, I snost, I lost... looking forward to seeing how they turn out!

Abcyclehank

Jan 23, 2017, 8:28:37 AM1/23/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Tom,
Misery loves company; I share your pain. Only I have myself to blame because I learned day two of offering became busy at work called the following morning to find they out.

Sincerely,
Ryan Hankinson
West Michigan

P.S. Trades available 64 Bombadil, 68 Quickbeam, 68 Atlantis

Kai Vierstra

Jan 26, 2017, 8:24:21 PM1/26/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Attention fellow unfittables! 64 Clem L coming around the bend!!

From the email-
"WILL’s big fat-tire mixte sold out fast, so in late Spring or early Summer we’ll have a 64cm CLEM-L mixte. If you’re tall and have ever wanted a mixte but couldn’t find one to fit, this is your chance and probably your only chance for years or ever. We always try to fit the unfittables and hard to fit, but usually it bites us back. But we’ve got a few coming, and if you want to be on a list for them, contact wi...@rivbike.com"

-Kai
Brooklyn NY

Tom Harrop

Jan 27, 2017, 5:44:31 PM1/27/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yep, even better, a mega Clem-L! I'm on the list...

MartyG

Jun 1, 2017, 8:37:01 PM6/1/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Bumping this thread because it looks like we're close! I'll let Will decide when to spill the beans, but I'm chomping at the bit to reveal some prototype pics he sent when I asked for an ETA. Almost wish I hadn't asked because what I saw makes it even harder to wait. The only clue I can give is that the seat lug is glorious!

Soon, very soon...

David Banzer

Jun 2, 2017, 9:09:02 AM6/2/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I've been kicking myself for missing out on this one, still excited to see photos. If anyone got one of these and decides to sell, I'll buy it.
David
Chicago, IL

MartyG

Jun 2, 2017, 4:00:47 PM6/2/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Well, I don't think this reveals too much...but don't blame me if the final varies somewhat. I was told it's a prototype.

Garth

Jun 2, 2017, 5:10:12 PM6/2/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
   Hey Tom, could you post the plans for the 64 Clem-L , I'd like to see the proposed geo !

MartyG

Aug 30, 2017, 2:48:36 PM8/30/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Update from Will today. Should have mine in a couple weeks or so. I went with solid silver/no-decals/no headbadge, but I have an old "timepiece" Yves Gomez badge (my favorite Riv badge, and hey, Gomez was a mixte too) that I plan to use. So ready for this!

Abcyclehank

Sep 17, 2017, 2:07:45 PM9/17/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Anyone have pictures of build. Ride report with comparisons to other Riv bikes you own would be much appreciated. Bought one but still in box due to recent knee surgery. Have trade option for a 24+ Jones and am in major limbo here.

Daniel Jackson

Sep 17, 2017, 2:23:57 PM9/17/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'd take my Jones over any Rivendell any day.

However, you sure the 24 Plus is your size? I'm loving my Rosco Mixte and think I'm smaller than you and ride a 25 Jones Plus.

Abcyclehank

Sep 17, 2017, 3:00:23 PM9/17/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Daniel,
You are correct the Jones is a 25+ and even then I needed to max out stem and get a setback seatpost to make it work.

Ryan

Tom Harrop

Sep 18, 2017, 7:08:17 AM9/18/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Funny how this thread came up again. Just an FYI in case anyone missed it, the 64 cm Clem-L is on presale on rivbike now.

MartyG

Sep 18, 2017, 8:45:24 AM9/18/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Still waiting...

Abcyclehank

Sep 18, 2017, 12:30:12 PM9/18/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Marty,
Excited to see your Silver steed. If I ever end up a custom order or a repainted That is the way I am leaning. All I have heard from who received my frame is that it is gorgeous.

Others: where are these things at and how do they preform?

Sincerely,

Ryan

Kai Vierstra

Sep 19, 2017, 7:49:18 PM9/19/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
And by some miracle, I've got a Huge Rosco Mixte on the way!!
No parts yet, unless I sacrifice my Big Clem's, which I just might, but regardless I'll post some photos.
-Kai
BK NY

Abcyclehank

Sep 19, 2017, 11:03:52 PM9/19/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Congrats Kai. Having a huge Clem I look forward to hearing your impressions of how it is different and similar in ride etc.

Bob B

Sep 22, 2017, 10:14:28 AM9/22/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Can't wait to see that build, Kai! Does anyone remember... is Rosco over, or will the project continue?

Kai Vierstra

Sep 22, 2017, 12:26:20 PM9/22/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
You and me both! As for Rosco's future, I think they have to wait for the spare forks to overflow the reservoir again?
-Kai
BK NY

srob

Sep 22, 2017, 7:28:51 PM9/22/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Not sure I can justify the unexpected overseas delivery cost so I may be willing to give mine up if you still want one.

Ray Varella

Sep 24, 2017, 12:11:08 PM9/24/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Has anyone posted pictures of their huge Rosco Mixte?

Ray
Vallejo CA

MartyG

Sep 26, 2017, 1:31:27 PM9/26/17
to RBW Owners Bunch

It's here! Well, it's at Riv anyway, but soon will be heading East. Will sent a couple teaser pics. Just enough to get me all distracted from my day job. Allow me to distract you all too:

No decals by choice. Headbadge will be the Timepiece Gomez badge I saved for such an occasion. many more pics to come.

Marty

Kai Vierstra

Sep 26, 2017, 1:46:50 PM9/26/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thank You Thank You Thank You!
I'm even more excited now that I know it's silver, and that it has a pump peg, and that it has a fairly low 6mm eyelet in back, and silver!, and...
-Kai
BK NY

MartyG

Sep 26, 2017, 2:11:48 PM9/26/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Please be advised I paid extra for the silver paint. I'm not sure where they ended up color-wise on the others, but I'm sure it will be equally delicious.

Bill Lindsay

Sep 26, 2017, 2:18:01 PM9/26/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I really like the vertical dropouts. That's the only thing I'd change if I could on my Medium. I'd wave my magic wand and swap my horizontal dropouts for the vertical variant.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, Ca.

Kai Vierstra

Sep 26, 2017, 2:44:44 PM9/26/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Even better! If paint's the only bit of nervous/excited anticipation I've got, great. I'd take purple with great braze-ons over orange with useless braze-ons any day (no offense to purple frame lovers)
-Kai
BK NY

James Warren

Sep 26, 2017, 3:55:16 PM9/26/17
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Did you somehow get grilver or is that lighting?

James Warren

Sep 26, 2017, 3:56:45 PM9/26/17
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Romulus blue was stock, pretty much. Not a bad color either. But silver... damn.

James Warren

Sep 26, 2017, 4:00:46 PM9/26/17
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Re-reading what I wrote, it seems confusing. To clarify, the stock color of the Huge Rosco Mixte was a blue that was almost identical to the old Romulus of over a decade ago. And it's a great color. And paying extra to get silver seems really smart.

Joe Bernard

Sep 26, 2017, 5:35:51 PM9/26/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hmm, vertical dropouts and seat lug from the Clem L. Hey Bill, does the Mountain Mixte have that lug?

MartyG

Sep 26, 2017, 6:33:59 PM9/26/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
No idea what paint color they ended up with. I just asked for silver. Looks right to me. Gathering parts in my mind as we speak. Envisioning a fall color ride in the coming weeks. I will enjoy every minute of this build, and every minute on this bike.

Bill Lindsay

Sep 26, 2017, 7:24:15 PM9/26/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
My Medium Rosco Bubbe step through does not have that Cheviot Clem L style seat lug. There's a Riv cast seat tube top ring that is brazed on the seat tube. The seat stays are tig welded to the seat tube.

Kai Vierstra

Sep 28, 2017, 12:46:44 PM9/28/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Do you happen to know what fork they used? Or better yet, have pics? I'm playing around with ideas for a front rack. Fedex says Rosco's a week away...
Thanks
-Kai
BK NY

Bill Lindsay

Sep 28, 2017, 1:06:18 PM9/28/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Call Will.  He'll let you know.  I could guess, but you'd have to give me at least three guesses before I'd be really confident.  My Medium used an Appaloosa fork, but that tells you nothing.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

Kai Vierstra

Sep 28, 2017, 2:30:52 PM9/28/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
But that's instant gratification! I like the floating of questions into the ether that happens on here, and the great and varied answers that float back, but you're right, I should call Will.
Thanks
-Kai
BK NY

Bill Lindsay

Sep 28, 2017, 5:07:24 PM9/28/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
In that case, my first guess is that it's a Hunqapillar fork.  ;-)

Kai Vierstra

Sep 28, 2017, 6:05:22 PM9/28/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I suppose a Hunq fork's only fitting for a Mammoth Mixte. Since I have a cold and my voice has flown off, I opted for email, and I just received confirmation of top'o the crown eyelets, so yup, Hunqy for the win!
Wishing I had a better bender so's to make a dory shaped rack deck (hunk[q]y dory rack anyone?)
-Kai
BK NY

Kai Vierstra

Sep 28, 2017, 6:09:35 PM9/28/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
But wait! Did the Bombadil have top mounts too?  Hmmm...

MartyG

Sep 28, 2017, 8:04:29 PM9/28/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Couple be either one - both had top-mounts. Still waiting for a shipping confirmation myself.

Mark in Beacon

Sep 29, 2017, 7:07:22 PM9/29/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
My Clementine has top mounts.

Kiley DeMond

Oct 1, 2017, 9:28:45 PM10/1/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Okay, I give. I am sure this has been asked and answered, but I could not locate the answer in the amount of time I was willing to allocate to the search. What is the difference between the Roscoe Mixte and the Cheviot? I get the 'huge' part; my Cheviot is a mere 60cm.

James Warren

Oct 1, 2017, 10:11:37 PM10/1/17
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Mountain bike versus country bike.

2.3” to 2.4” clearance on the Huge Size Rosco Mixte. Cheviot is more like 700x45-to-50 max. Cheviot has sidepulls.

This answer is not to be confused with the Rosco Medium. That one has the Appaloosa fork crown, which means clearance is more like 700x55 max.

The Huge Rosco Mixte has the same fork crown as the current Hunqapillar. Big mountain bike tire room.

MartyG

Oct 3, 2017, 10:11:18 AM10/3/17
to RBW Owners Bunch

Just got a delivery notice for a week from today! Will talked me into Schwalbe G-Ones: 700X60. Plenty of pics to come next week.

2.3” to 2.4” clearance on the Huge Size Rosco Mixte. Cheviot is more like 700x45-to-50 max. Cheviot has sidepulls.

Kai Vierstra

Oct 3, 2017, 12:26:30 PM10/3/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Nice. I have the Big One's (what they were before being rebranded as G) mounted tubeless on velocity cliffhangers, and I love them. I pump them up to about 30 psi, but after not enough minutes of city riding they seem to leak/heal enough to settle in around 20 psi. As they're so thin and lovely, I'm on my 2nd set. I've got some Thunder Burts headed my way for the Rosco, looking forward to comparison rolling between the two.
Excited for our bikes!
-Kai
BK NY

Kainalu V.

Oct 4, 2017, 5:58:07 PM10/4/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
It's here a day earlier than promised!
The digital mock-up was close to the color, a little less green. Mud colored soon...
-Kai
BK NY

On Wednesday, January 11, 2017 at 1:23:41 PM UTC-5, MartyG wrote:

Let the planning, pawning and parts swapping commence:

TA Zephyr crankset - Phil BB
Paul Neo-retro brakes & levers
Bosco-bullmoose bars
Silver bar-ends
XT rear derailer
Brooks B-67
Velocity/XT wheels
Nitto Big rear rack
20171004_164431.jpg
20171004_164932.jpg

Jay Connolly

Oct 4, 2017, 7:15:29 PM10/4/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have owned some BIG bikes, and that is a REALLY BIG BIKE. I don't think it's for you, though, Kai. I'd be happy to take it off your hands. 😁

Jay

Tim O. (Portland, OR)

Oct 4, 2017, 7:43:22 PM10/4/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Oh, man. I wish I was in a place to get one of those frames. Looks lovely! Can't wait to see pictures of the build. Congrats!

Joe Bernard

Oct 5, 2017, 12:37:50 AM10/5/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Y'all non-huge types check the Specials at Rivbike. There's a 54-60 step-through with lifty bar there.

Jeremy Tavan

Oct 5, 2017, 2:04:37 AM10/5/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Darn it, and I just found and bought a medium MTBubbe frameset. This is a prettier color, not quite the right wheel configuration, but a good price and just my size, even to the long virtual top tube. Maybe I get the dinged-up MTBubbe repainted that nice blue.

MartyG

Oct 5, 2017, 7:30:04 AM10/5/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks Kai! That is such a nice color, almost the original Rivendell road blue. Can't wait to see yours in the wild. Hope mine comes a day early too!

Kainalu V.

Oct 5, 2017, 12:01:54 PM10/5/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Honestly, I'm looking forward to mudding it up. Was hoping for a burnt pumpkin, but blue's good. Are you in and around NYC Marty? There's a swiftly growing contingent of step through rivs on wasternmost L.I., can't wait to see your mighty Silver rearing it's headtube soon (certainly two days early!)
-Kai
BK NY

MartyG

Oct 5, 2017, 1:41:18 PM10/5/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Are you in and around NYC Marty?

Nope. Southern PA, just North of Baltimore. A gathering of muddied up Mt. Mixtes sounds like fun though. RoscoRally? Bubbapalooza?

Kiley DeMond

Oct 8, 2017, 10:28:34 AM10/8/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Ah, that actually solves the only 'complaint' I have with my Cheviot. I would like to be able to do 55 tires with room for fenders. And l like the cross bar handle. And the extra bosses for water bottles. Still, the Cheviot is plenty heavy for me!

MartyG

Oct 9, 2017, 8:00:58 PM10/9/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Apologies up front. The frame arrived today, but I have to wait until tomorrow night to reveal it as I'm not in the right place at the right time. 9 months to the day from full payment to delivery. 2 grown kids and four grandkids, but I feel like a new father!

More to come. Tomorrow night. I promise.

Kainalu V.

Oct 9, 2017, 9:30:15 PM10/9/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Mine's still hanging from the pipes in my office, I spent valuable build time trying and failing to track down a 26.8 seatpost with mucho setback. So I'll start tomorrow night too, how long until the fully built unveiling?
-Kai
BK NY

MartyG

Oct 10, 2017, 7:13:06 PM10/10/17
to RBW Owners Bunch

As promised. I'll ease into the build tomorrow, but wanted to savor the moment. New bike days like this are rare. You can see more, and watch the full build over here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/32306142@N07/albums/72157686923388681

Ryan Fleming

Oct 11, 2017, 5:11:42 PM10/11/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
You sure gotta love that packing job. Jenny and the rest of the crew do a beautiful job in that regard. Those bikes are coddled. No, they're swaddled

BTW the seat lug looks like the one on my (custom) mixte.  It looks really delicate doesn't it?  You know, I really like that grey as a single colour without the cream. And /or it also looks really good with darker blue accents like the silver quickbeams or the older A/R one of the floows on this list has...think he posts under WETH

Nice !

Joe Bernard

Oct 11, 2017, 5:57:59 PM10/11/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I agree about the one-color treatment..I think the Cheviot Green on my Clem L (and original Cheviot) looks great without the cream contrast headtube. I actually think this about most Rivs anymore, which I know is heresy. If I ordered a custom I would do the fancy cream cutouts, but pass on the headtube treatment. Heresy!

Ryan Fleming

Oct 11, 2017, 6:05:59 PM10/11/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I do like the cream with darker colours so you get the contrast. But that silver one-colour looks really good

Kainalu V.

Oct 11, 2017, 7:16:56 PM10/11/17
to RBW Owners Bunch

Bicycle transplant

The donor Clem

The nearly completed Rosco Bubbe

Waiting for racks and a rear brake cable. Together enough for a fun test roll around the hallways of my work (it's raining)

-Kai

BK NY

Bill Lindsay

Oct 11, 2017, 7:24:01 PM10/11/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
#slamthatstem

That 65cm virtual top tube length is EPIC.

Kainalu V.

Oct 12, 2017, 12:40:27 AM10/12/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
It feels pretty teensy when compared to the Clem's 67. I might throw some Albastache bars on there for the aeroness of it all, but these big steel albatross had sifted down to the bottom of the parts box so I felt they deserved some vitamin D.
-KaI
BK NY

MartyG

Oct 12, 2017, 6:23:20 AM10/12/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Looking good Kai. Hope to see the others in the batch soon too. My frame is in the stand, so that's progress. I'll see if I can get it on two wheels today. We have visitors through the weekend, so time is limited.

MartyG

Oct 14, 2017, 3:43:32 PM10/14/17
to RBW Owners Bunch

Couple pics on wheels. Tires are not what I plan to use, but good enough to satisfy my curiosity. It's HUGE!

James Warren

Oct 14, 2017, 6:56:35 PM10/14/17
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Beautiful, Marty. You're about as far on yours as I am on mine. I love that silver color you got. I like the standard blue I have too.

Sent from my iPhone

Antone Könst

Oct 15, 2017, 12:14:02 PM10/15/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
That is one BEAUTIFUL bike! Looks like it will be incredibly capable as well, congratulations! Generating a lot of envy over here :)

MartyG

Oct 21, 2017, 3:59:23 PM10/21/17
to RBW Owners Bunch

Swapping bars, I'm thinking Albatross might be the ticket. In the early RBW days, Carradice was also the ticket. RR1 offered a few models for sale. This original Cadet matches the look of this bike nicely. Piece by piece, I'm getting there.

Kainalu V.

Oct 22, 2017, 11:18:28 AM10/22/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Looking good Marty!
And something to look forward to, proof that the Bubbe "planes", notice in this video the delicate flex patterns of thee Will's mountain mixte making possible the impossible! (For a lesser frame that is)
https://youtu.be/2_GnM4MLYBs
And thanks to the Patricks for inspiration to set up the photo phone and get out there and roll some ditches. After this video was shot I set my personal best on the ridiculously steep climb to the Henry Hudson Bridge (all credit to the Rosco Bubbe)
-Kai
BK NY

Coal Bee Rye Anne

Oct 23, 2017, 12:48:50 PM10/23/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
These Rosco mega mountain mixtes look terrific. I had eagerly anticipated the details of the larger Rosco Bubbes but when the 65cm mega Clem H was announced and after an email exchange with Grant I determined the Clem Complete was right for me at the time. This was before the specs of this model were officially released but he said enough for me to know they’d be great and to make want one of each anyway. Then my wife and I found out we were expecting our first child a few months after taking delivery of my Clem, which is now expected to be converted for baby hauling duty come spring, so now I’m rethinking the step through thing all over again with the recently announced 64cm Clem L. I’ll probably see how the H works out first but kind of kicking myself for not going Rosco now that I desire the step through a little more. Enjoy.

Brian Cole
Lawrenceville, NJ

Jay Connolly

Oct 23, 2017, 1:12:45 PM10/23/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Brian, I have a 64 Clem L on order. Can’t wait for this bike. It will serve as my local hauler. I’m not sure they’ll be back any time soon, though, so if you want one and have the cash, I’d put in an order.

Jay

Coal Bee Rye Anne

Oct 23, 2017, 4:04:56 PM10/23/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Jay, I'd absolutely love one of each but it's unfortunately not in the budget... nor do I have the space.  When choosing the 65cm Clem H as my first Riv the value of the complete pre-sale and the timing of it's release were a major deciding factor.  In hindsight, had I waited for the Mega Bubbe to be finalized I'd still have needed a set of wheels/tires which would put the total cost well above the Clem complete and life events would have likely ruled out the entire expense at that time anyway.  However, the temptation of a 64 Clem L frameset (as well as the large Hubbuhubbuh!) are still certainly high with future family biking in mind.

Will @ Riv

Nov 27, 2017, 7:12:19 PM11/27/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Y'all,
Anybody out there still want one of these? I had a cancellation from a long-term hold. Call me at 800-345-3918.
-will

Kainalu V.

Nov 27, 2017, 9:44:14 PM11/27/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I would like to put it on hold for a few years please...
Thanks
-Kai
BK NY

Bob B

Nov 27, 2017, 9:51:20 PM11/27/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
This is the best thread

Brad

Nov 27, 2017, 10:02:46 PM11/27/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Is it because you're planning on breaking the one you already own?

John G.

Nov 27, 2017, 10:24:16 PM11/27/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
What is the PBH range for this, anyway? Saw a list members Rosco Mixte yesterday and fell in love with it.

Kainalu V.

Nov 27, 2017, 11:41:28 PM11/27/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Plan to?, no.
but do?, unfortunately yup. This is my most favorite frame ever, and if I could afford a back-up I'd nab this in a second. PBH range on this is massive, as the step through provides plenty of clearance. I'd think a 90cm'r would be workable, but crank those legs up to 95-101 and it's divine.
-Kai
BK NY

MartyG

Jun 12, 2018, 12:07:29 PM6/12/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm 92 in the PBH department, and I'd agree 90 is about minimum for this frame. Not sure there's an upper limit! Still dialing things in, but I will say I've lowered the seat a smidge twice now and it feels better each time. Also using the Bosco Bullmoose now and they are slammed all the way down. Looks and feels great. The head tube is so jacked up I had that rare option. Maybe some new pics this weekend, and don't be shocked to see it as a single speed.

Jim Bronson

Jun 14, 2018, 12:57:21 PM6/14/18
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
"The thread that won't die!!"

I suppose all the huge Rosco Mixtes and 64 Clem Ls have been spoken for?

I regret not getting one, it would have made my iBert usable when my kid was around a year.  As it was, it was hard to get on the bike with my 65 Clem H the iBert was mounted.  I tried it on my older Road Standard and it was near impossible.

Now I have a Burley Bee trailer for carrying the kid and it's fine, but, I can see how the step through frames are very useful with a front load.  For a long time I didn't want to believe it, but now I can see it.

Anyway, carry on.

On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 2:28 PM MartyG <martin...@gmail.com> wrote:
Pre-ordered one of the big ones! Can't see a single compromise to this being a real winner - unless you call waiting until summer for delivery a compromise. Looks to be an all-grown-up all-rounder if there ever was one.

Can't wait to see pics. And color. And a delivery notice.

signature goes here

Coal Bee Rye Anne

Jun 14, 2018, 3:18:44 PM6/14/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
It's kind of funny... I just recently finished my 3rd or 4th ride on my 65cm Clem H since installing a Thule Yepp Mini front seat and having previously been somewhat regretful about missing out on the Rosco Monster Mixte and hemming/hawing about going for a 64Clem L while available I'm now becoming convinced that (for my purposes and with my current build) either of those two step throughs would not likely offer much advantage to my current 65cm Clem H due to the following:

Although I can't comment about or compare the fit of the iBert, with the Yepp Mini the distance between my saddle nose and the back of the Yepp seat is still so narrow despite the long Clem H top tube that the shorter top tube (67vs65cm if I remember correctly) of the Rosco Mixte would not likely improve matters much for me anyway.  This is with a relatively short nosed Brooks B72 saddle (vintage double rail B72 with Breezer seat sandwich adapter and stock Clem seatpost.)  I suppose with one of those noseless saddles the spacing would be great enough between saddle and baby seat to comfortably move about on the Clem L but as it is (with my current parts selection) I'd likely continue swinging a leg over the back anyway.  Just my personal observation but it's making me glad I didn't try to sell my Clem H or trade for an L at the time I was considering it (since I simply can't afford to have both, unfortunately.)

I also flip flopped baby seat plans a couple times only to come back full circle to my original plan of the Yepp Mini after finding the Thule Ride Along rear seat (which I was generously gifted by a friend that could not use it on their own bike) was not a good fit with the Clem H seatstay spacing so I came back to the front seat plan I initially considered.  My son seems very happy with the current set-up and loves the view so far!  The RideAlong rear will still see future use on either one of my wife's bikes or another of mine as our son gets older.

Happy riding,
Brian Cole
Lawrenceville NJ

Kainalu V.

Jun 14, 2018, 10:45:39 PM6/14/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
The step through really shines if and when you're using a rear seat, but out of the seat pedal mashing with the rear childed Monster Rosco is unadvisable. Out of the saddle pedal stompage is unadvisable with a kid out back on a 65 Clem H as well, but considerably less unadvisable than with a wriggley mixte. And that's not to say that the Rosco is wriggley by any means!, just when compared to the Clem,..
-Kai
BKNY

-and a fairly recent photo (watch out for the wicked crosswinds on the Triboro/RFK, especially with a taller bike)

It is loading more messages.