Reservoir ride-fish-ride

Deacon Patrick

Jul 25, 2015, 10:47:45 PM7/25/15
to Rivendell Owners Rivendell Owners Group
Fantastic longer ride, heading out at 6am and returning home at 3pm. Likely 6 hours of that were riding. Climbed to Rampart Reservoir, met Joe, rode the trail 2/3rds the way around, climbed up and over the Stanley Reservoir, had a pipe, fished, had many sniff, a few bite, and one hooked — a 12” rainbow who was very tasty for a late lunch back at home!

It sure was good to get out for a longer ride again after being in an extended brain pit. Here’s to hoping I don’t fall back in!

Liesl

Jul 25, 2015, 11:57:07 PM7/25/15
to RBW Owners Bunch
That looks like a most fantastic day, Patrick. Scenery reminds me of my California days and trips to lassen. But where's a photo of the tastee fish? In Minnesota ya gotta get the fish shot! (;
-RCW

Ron Mc

Jul 26, 2015, 6:24:38 AM7/26/15
to RBW Owners Bunch, li...@smm.org
she beat me to it - photos are all that keeps the fish from growing after you eat them...

Deacon Patrick

Jul 26, 2015, 8:28:41 AM7/26/15
to RBW Owners Bunch, li...@smm.org, bulld...@gmail.com
Ha! I et all the evidence and then made fish broth of the bits, which is breakfast today. If it helps any I have no idea what the biggest fish I've caught was. But it was this, no thiiiiiis, no THIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIS BIG! Grin. They were laughing at me though, literally jumping at my feet.

With abandon,
Patrick

Ron Mc

Jul 26, 2015, 8:46:16 AM7/26/15
to RBW Owners Bunch, li...@smm.org, lamon...@mac.com
here's a cool video of one of my occasional fishing buddies.  He was on a two-week elk-hunting pack trip and caught lunch from his survival kit using a stick for a rod.
Of course he is probably the most qualified person on the planet for this task.  He's the retired commander of Air Force Special Ops, He spent most of his career flying rescue, beginning VN, but mostly Alaska, which kept him very busy.
He lives in your neck of the woods, Deac, and the places you go, you may run across (General) Donny.

Deacon Patrick

Jul 26, 2015, 9:42:50 AM7/26/15
to RBW Owners Bunch, li...@smm.org, bulld...@gmail.com
Fantastic!

With abandon,
Patrick

Patrick Moore

Jul 26, 2015, 9:56:28 AM7/26/15
to rbw-owners-bunch
Bucolic! Glad you are back on the bike.

Pipe: I'd love to smoke a pipe -- no tobacco treat better than top quality, plain Virginia and a nice drawing briar. But, as someone who smoked cigarettes for almost 25 years (I quit in 1997), I'm more afraid of getting addicted to them again than of the health dangers of smoking a pipe.

Other professional writing services.
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, Nouvelle Mexique,  Vereinigte Staaten

*************************************
The point which is the pivot of the norm is the motionless center of a circumference on the rim of which all conditions, distinctions, and individualities revolve. Chuang Tzu

Kinei hos eromenon. It moves as the being-loved. Aristotle

The Love that moves the Sun and all the other stars. Dante

Deacon Patrick

Jul 26, 2015, 10:15:21 AM7/26/15
to RBW Owners Bunch, bert...@gmail.com
I smoke organic virginia leaf I buy in leaf form and cure myself, so it's just pure tobacco, nothing added in the growing or processing. I often go days or weeks without a pipe and think nothing of it. Of course YMMV. Grin. https://www.leafonly.com

With abandon,
Patrick

Jack

Jul 26, 2015, 4:19:08 PM7/26/15
to RBW Owners Bunch, bert...@gmail.com, lamon...@mac.com
Patrick, love your post and pics!  I never thought there would be a tie-in between Rivendell bikes and Virginia tobacco. Here I am with my Hunquapillar in a field of Virginia bright leaf (officially known as flue-cured) tobacco: https://www.flickr.com/photos/jhuber1111/15199720881/in/dateposted-public/ .  It was on the aptly named Tobacco Heritage Trail in Mecklenburg County, Virginia. I doubt if this is what you smoke, it's Virginia tobacco, but normally used in cigarettes and I doubt if it is organic!

Steve Palincsar

Jul 26, 2015, 5:34:39 PM7/26/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
If this turns into a "I grow my own dope under Grolux and dry it in the oven after I've baked organic granola cupcakes" thread I'm going to complain to the management.   ;-)

Deacon Patrick

Jul 26, 2015, 5:38:40 PM7/26/15
to RBW Owners Bunch, bert...@gmail.com, jhube...@yahoo.com
Ultimately it's all Riv, right? Grin. Great shot, Jack! Mine is bright leaf, flue cured, then I press it into a flake, which cures it even more. So it's golden brown when I get it. I'm still trying to figure out a better press system than my old square shorty (Scottish short bread) box, a board for a lid, and furniture clamps. That gets awkward in the oven at 200˚F. Grin.

Steve Palincsar

Jul 26, 2015, 5:48:37 PM7/26/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
No, Deacon, it's not.  Tobacco is not "all Riv."  Tobacco is not only OT, it's nekulturny.

Deacon Patrick

Jul 26, 2015, 6:18:07 PM7/26/15
to RBW Owners Bunch, pali...@his.com
Och, sir! How very nekulturny of you. Unless Edwin Hubble, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, J.R.R. Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, Albert Einstein, Bertrand Russell, Dr. Seuss, Mark Twain, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Earnest Hemingway (to name a few) are who come to mind as uncultured. Sardonic grin.

With abandon,
Patrick

Steve Palincsar

Jul 26, 2015, 6:20:51 PM7/26/15
to Deacon Patrick, RBW Owners Bunch

Deacon Patrick

Jul 26, 2015, 6:43:06 PM7/26/15
to RBW Owners Bunch, pali...@his.com
No kidding. Much like steel bike riders are so very nekulturn. Maurice Garin, Lucien Petit-Breton, Philippe Thys, Ottavio Bottecchia, Gino Bartali ... Grin. Lighten up, good man, go for a ride, and allow folks the joy of interacting about taking a pipe on their ride if that's what they're stupid enough to do (and I am).

With abandon,
Patrick

Steve Palincsar

Jul 26, 2015, 6:57:14 PM7/26/15
to Deacon Patrick, RBW Owners Bunch
That was then, this is now.  There are many things that were acceptable, even proper back then that now have been swept into the butt can of history.

Deacon Patrick

Jul 26, 2015, 7:01:35 PM7/26/15
to RBW Owners Bunch, pali...@his.com
Is the Definer and Defender of the Butt Can of History a lifetime appointment? Grin.

With abandon,
Patrick

Patrick Moore

Jul 26, 2015, 10:35:16 PM7/26/15
to rbw-owners-bunch
Smoking is the new fornication, to excite the moralisateurs.

Patrick "fornication is fun, but a good briar filled with prime Virginia is funner" Moore, who has sworn of both in ABQ, NM.

ascpgh

Jul 27, 2015, 10:05:51 AM7/27/15
to RBW Owners Bunch, pali...@his.com, lamon...@mac.com
...all the cool kids are doing it.

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh

ascpgh

Jul 27, 2015, 10:25:08 AM7/27/15
to RBW Owners Bunch, bert...@gmail.com
Funny, I don't recall any conversations about brown burlap habit or single strap sandals as part of your ABQ cycling kit.

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh

Steve Palincsar

Jul 27, 2015, 12:13:59 PM7/27/15
to ascpgh, RBW Owners Bunch, lamon...@mac.com

Ron Mc

Jul 27, 2015, 12:49:14 PM7/27/15
to RBW Owners Bunch, asc...@gmail.com, lamon...@mac.com, pali...@his.com
steve, you're an asshole

Deacon Patrick

Jul 27, 2015, 12:58:09 PM7/27/15
to RBW Owners Bunch, asc...@gmail.com, pali...@his.com
Steve, I am sorry this is so deeply personal for you.

With abandon,
Patrick

Abcyclehank

Jul 27, 2015, 2:44:38 PM7/27/15
to RBW Owners Bunch
This quickly digressed into a frustrating, winter storm like post when great individuals are prevented from riding enough, I suggest all parties agree to "just ride" and accept your opposite perspectives on this particular passionate personal topic.

Peace out Rivendell Brothers.

Sincerely,
Ryan Hankinson