FS/T: Brooks Flyer Special, used, $75

Jeremy Till

Aug 28, 2017, 2:00:03 PM8/28/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
For sale or trade is one Brooks Flyer Special saddle.  The Flyer is a sprung B.17, and "Special" refers to having the big hand-hammered copper rivets and some extra chamfering on the bottom edges of the leather.  Bought new by me in 2013, used regularly through 2016, used only occasionally since then.   This is the "Honey" color, although it has darkened slightly because I have treated it regularly (~once a year) with a small amount of Proofide.  I always was conscientious about using a saddle cover in wet weather.  There are some scuffs in the leather between the rivets, and there is one spot on the left side of the nose where the leather bows out slightly.  It has been that way since new, and I never found it to be an issue while pedaling.  Pictures are here:

I'm selling it because after giving them a good try (3 years of riding), my riding style has changed slightly and I've come to prefer saddles that are slightly narrower and with a more modern geometry.  For that reason, I would:

1. Trade straight across for a Brooks Cambium C.15 or C.17, regular or carved, any color, in similar or better condition, or a leather saddle with a more modern profile (Rivet, Berthoud, etc., but not Selle Anatomica).
2. Do a partial or full trade for a WTB Pure V saddle, depending on the model (Team, Race, Pro, etc.) and condition.
3. Sell this saddle for $75.

I am located in Sacramento, CA and could do local pickup either in Sacramento or the SF Bay Area.  Would ship as well, especially for trades.  I will also include the adjustment wrench and the rest of my large tin of Proofide.

Thanks for looking,

Jeremy

Jeremy Till

Sep 11, 2017, 4:02:11 PM9/11/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Saddle has been traded, thanks!

Davey Two Shoes

Sep 19, 2017, 10:36:03 AM9/19/17
to RBW Owners Bunch

Ah!

Missed it by that much!

lum gim fong

Sep 19, 2017, 11:45:07 AM9/19/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have a black flyer for sale with homemade cutout for sale if interested

Surlyprof

Sep 19, 2017, 12:37:38 PM9/19/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Could you post photos?  I just bought a Flyer Special with the intent of adding a cutout.  Any references would be helpful before cutting into a $150 saddle!

Thanks,
John

lum gim fong

Sep 19, 2017, 2:41:46 PM9/19/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
You are better off buying a Flyer Imperial than cutting your own.

Jay Connolly

Sep 19, 2017, 5:00:32 PM9/19/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I cut one a few years ago. It's now my most comfortable saddle, so much so that I'm thinking of performing surgery on a recently purchased B17.

Jay

Surlyprof

Sep 19, 2017, 8:31:24 PM9/19/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Agreed except they only make them in black. I wanted the honey colored leather. If anyone has examples as to their DIY cutouts, I'd love to see them.

John