Enjoying autumn colors

Takashi

Nov 6, 2017, 9:13:12 AM11/6/17
to RBW Owners Bunch

Hi,

I visited Aizu area in October and had great time riding there, so I thought I'd share.
Aizu is located at northern part of Japan.
It seems that living in the area is tough (not enough flat land for agriculture, heavy snowfall during winter, etc), but oh the sceneries were so beautiful.

I was there for two days, cloudy on Saturday and raining all day on Sunday.
I enjoyed on both days, even during rain. Quietness, chilly and damp air, they made sceneries look even more beautiful. (I'm pretty sure that Deacon Patrick agrees!)

Pictures:
https://flic.kr/s/aHsm787CSr

Takashi

Patrick Moore

Nov 6, 2017, 3:10:36 PM11/6/17
to rbw-owners-bunch
Beautiful photos. Do you get the same sort of bright yellow/orange/red leaf colors there as we do in the less temperate parts of the US?

I took a couple of "bright autumn trees with mountain sky in background" photos, but the iPhone didn't do justice to the brilliant orange; we usually don't get red; only if we get the right mix of warm and sub-freezing, and around here, that happens late enough in the year that the leaves are already dead.. But orange, yes.

But the sky and clouds "turned out well."

Inline image 1

Other professional writing services.
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, New Mexico, EUA
Auditis an me ludit amabilis insania?

Ann L

Nov 6, 2017, 7:03:04 PM11/6/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Takashi:

Where I live, most of the trees haven't changed color.  Thank you for sharing your beautiful autumn pictures.

Ann

Takashi

Nov 7, 2017, 7:43:01 AM11/7/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Patrick and Ann,

Thank you!
I was smiling when riding under the trees, and when I came home and looked through photos I took, they made me smile once again.

Patrick, I don't remember about trees in the US very well, but yes, we have yellow, orange, and red leaves here.
But a friend of mine in Hiroshima (warmer place in Japan) said that it's less colorful there in autumn, so it depends.

BTW, sky and cloud in your picture looks brilliant!
If you want brilliant colors of leaves, going near the trees and looking up works better, maybe?

Takashi

Ryan Fleming

Nov 7, 2017, 11:56:49 AM11/7/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I love your pictures. So evocative! Autumn is my favourite season, but in Winnipeg , MB the autumn colours maybe last 6-7 weeks. Depending on the weather, especially the wind our trees can be pretty naked by Halloween. I do love the colours while they last though in cloudy or clear conditions

"Autumn...the year's last, loveliest smile"  From "Indian Summer" by William Cullen Bryant (or John Howard Bryant who was his brother)

Patrick Moore

Nov 7, 2017, 1:22:08 PM11/7/17
to rbw-owners-bunch
I was particularly struck by the misty, wet forest scenes -- very different from high desert New Mexico, and not at all what we in most of the US would first think of at the mention of "fall pictures." But beautiful; one imagines elusive Tolkein-ian elves threading their way unobtrusively through the undergrowth on their way to some mystical elven gathering (probably to get drunk on miruvor. (Which leads my undisciplined imagination toward that Simpson's parody of the Disney Snow White dwarfs, but let's not go there).

If you have more photos, please post them!

Patrick "Ho hi, ho hi!" Moore

lum gim fong

Nov 8, 2017, 12:59:47 AM11/8/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Can you tell us about that decaleur?

Mike Williams

Nov 8, 2017, 11:08:45 AM11/8/17
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Great photos Takashi,  thank you for sharing

Sent from my iPhone

Takashi

Nov 9, 2017, 8:35:58 AM11/9/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thank you Ryan.
I suppose that your mixte would look very pretty beneath leaves of Canadian trees.
I'd like to see pictures of your ride!

Takashi

Takashi

Nov 9, 2017, 9:52:00 AM11/9/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Patrick,

In Aizu area, it tends to be rainy in this season of year.
I am glad I visited there even if it was raining.
Next time I visit, I will be careful not to miss elves!

Here are pictures of the ride on a week after it, in Nagano (near where I live). Sunny this time!
https://flic.kr/s/aHsm7uEN3F

Takashi

Takashi

Nov 9, 2017, 9:58:43 AM11/9/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Decaleur I made up by buying a basket hardware,
http://www.cb-asahi.co.jp/item/36/08/item100000030836.html
and adding a piece of metal, Nitto rack struts, and Nitto BarSack Rack (F15).

I made it up because I love my BarSack (which requires BarSack Rack) AND I wanted to put the bag on the front rack.
If you're OK with other bag (e.g., Berthoud), simply buying a Compass or VO decaleur should be easier and more elegant.

Takashi

Takashi

Nov 9, 2017, 10:00:13 AM11/9/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thank you Mike. I'm glad that you enjoyed pictures.

Takashi

Deacon Patrick

Nov 9, 2017, 10:32:51 AM11/9/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Beautiful, Takashi! I always love your annual convex mirror photo — just wee enough that it doesn’t mess with my vertigo. I have two such mirrors on one of my routes (and need for more on other routes but they go wanting so far!) and in actual life it messes with vertigo so I don’t use them and tilt my hat bill to block them.

It is amazing and wondrous how similar yet different autumn is the world over, (outside the tropic zone). Grin.

With abandon,
Patrick

RichS

Nov 9, 2017, 10:37:16 AM11/9/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Takashi,

Thanks for the beautiful images. I have a Bar Sack as well and I admire your creativity in adapting the bag to work on a front rack. Nice work!

Regards,
Richard

somervillebikes

Nov 9, 2017, 11:25:42 AM11/9/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Takashi,

Thank you for those beautiful photos. They brought a smile to me, too. It looks so lovely there, and even reminds me of my childhood home in the Catskill mountains of NYS.

Best,

Anton

Ryan Fleming

Nov 9, 2017, 12:39:48 PM11/9/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Next fall for Autumn shots...earlier winter than last year :)

Ian A

Nov 9, 2017, 3:07:17 PM11/9/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hello Takashi

Beautiful photos. The photos seem to be in a quiet and remote region, but the absense of vehicles in the photos is interesting. I am curious as to how much traffic you encounter on such rides and how the interaction with car drivers is.

Do you find people driving at quite high speeds on these narrow country lanes?

I grew up in the countryside around southern England and as an adolescent rode many miles along narrow country lanes. Cars were often traveling too fast along these lanes, but I felt safe enough. The drivers were used to discovering a tractor or horse around every corner so were alert.

IanA

Paul in Dallas

Nov 9, 2017, 7:18:11 PM11/9/17
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I also enjoyed your autumn pictures very much.

Thanks for sharing them with the group.

Paul in Dallas

---
http://www.avg.com

Takashi

Nov 11, 2017, 11:13:18 AM11/11/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Deacon,
Autumn in Colorado also looks amazing. And your snow ride photos are wonderful.
It looks like winter comes about a month earlier in your area than where I live.
Snow starts to fall in about a week here, so I'll have to think about preparing my bike for winter.

Richard,
Thank you.
The decaleur has lots of bolts & nuts so it's unelegant, but it turned out that handling feel is better when the bag is sitting on the rack.
(My bike tends to wander when I attach the bag to handlebar.)

Anton,
I googled Catskill Mountains, and it sure looks like a beautiful place.
It must be very lovely in autumn!

Ryan,
I'm looking forward!

Ian,
I have visited the area several times, so I have pretty good idea as to which route is quiet and which route is not.
I had to ride on  busy road in some places, and I didn't feel like taking pictures in such places, so there are pictures of quiet places only.
Shin Torii Pass route was less quiet than I expected. I think I met about 20 cars and 10 cyclists in two hours.
Matsuzaka Pass route was very quiet as before; I met only one car in two hours.
I did not worry about cars because they go at slow speed. Roads are narrow, and there are lot of tight curves like this, so if they go too fast they are likely to jump into a river before hitting any cyclist.

Paul,
My pleasure!

Takashi