Re: [RBW] New Bike Day! Black Mountain Monster Cross Mar 14

in Dallas nick

Mar 16, 2018, 1:34:05 PM3/16/18
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I really like the build on your Black Mountain.

Nice job!

Did you cut the steerer tube on the fork or is that the original height of it?

Paul in Dallas

On Fri, Mar 16, 2018 at 8:57 AM -0500, <rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

"John G." <jpg...@gmail.com>: Mar 15 08:01PM -0700

Bill, your bikes are always well-appointed and seem to fit you perfectly. Thanks for sharing pics, details, and data.

I know the intended use of the BMC is different than your Sam, but I’d love comparisons. I’m in between Sam sizes, and the BMC might be a better fit.
Bill Lindsay <tape...@gmail.com>: Mar 15 08:29PM -0700

A BMC Monster Cross with some Barlow Pass EL o light wheels would make a splendid road bike. Put some racks and fenders on it and now it’s a touring bike. It’s a very capable and very versatile bike.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito Ca.
kobe <mark...@yahoo.com>: Mar 16 03:34AM -0700

Thanks for posting pictures of your BMC. I have one in orange and the new
green is so loud, obnoxious and awesome it makes we trade up. Great build,
I had 50's on mine but they were a tad big for the riding I was doing and
went back to the Rock N Roads.
"Jonathan D." <jdone...@gmail.com>: Mar 16 06:52AM -0700

Thanks for the report. I have a 56 coming and I am excited to try it out. It seems like such a versatile bike.
Nick Payne <njh...@gmail.com>: Mar 16 03:41AM -0700

Same coverage from a slightly different angle here:
http://www.bbc.com/news/health-43308729.

As one of my fellow retiree cyclists said on reading it: "One bloke reckons
he has the body fat of a 19 year-old. I can beat that - I have the body fat
of four 19 year-olds."
Ron Mc <bulld...@gmail.com>: Mar 16 06:46AM -0700

I'm happy to state my at-rest pulse is 42, and my BP the same as when I was
19

On Friday, March 16, 2018 at 5:41:10 AM UTC-5, Nick Payne wrote:
Dan Bracey <dlbr...@gmail.com>: Mar 15 11:31AM -0700

Full image gallery here: https://imgur.com/a/axZDK

I'm going to regret this, but for sale is a Waterford built 2006 A. Homer
Hilsen that I have owned it since 2010. When I bought the bike, I thought
I'd own it for the rest of my life, but it turns out that it just doesn't
fit the type of riding I'm doing as well as I thought it would. It is one
of the more beautiful frames I've ever put my eyes on and when I purchased
it I painstakingly cleaned the frame and carefully touched up all the chips
with matching enamel paint (first sign that I'm not a true "Riv guy").

The paint is darker blue than the current Homer and anyone that is paying
attention knows that the AHH has gone through a lot of hues of blue over
the years. I was also missing the brifter index shifting from my sportier
road bike, so Homer's bar end shifters got swapped for a full Shimano
Ultegra 6500 triple groupset (second sign that I'm not a true Riv believer)
which I believe to be the last classically beautiful group that Shimano
produced. I don't need to go into how great these frames are and how well
they handle, or how beautiful they are, but I will say that the size 59
frame was on the verge of being too big for my 5'11" frame, but it was
still comfortable for a couple of 100 mile plus rides that I did on it. The
larger than normal sizing and the low seat post was one Grantism that I do
believe in for this bike which made it extremely comfortable for long rides.

Further details on the build are a full Nitto cockpit & seatpost including
46cm Noodle handlebars wrapped with brooks honey leather tape that could
use some moisturizing but still has plenty of life. A set of classic
Rivendell wheels: Rich-built, Phil-hubbed (NLA), Synergy Velocity rimmed,
36 spoke wheels with a Shimano 12/27 9 speed cassette. Jagwire silver
cables throughout and Tektro R556 Sidepull brakes.

The bike recently had a service from the top notch local shop including a
replacement of the shift cables.

Seeing as the groupset is not very "rivish", I'm happy to sell the bike
minus the groupset, but I would prefer to sell complete. I will probably
shed a few tears as I tape up the box on this one, but this is a bike that
deserves to be ridden hard and often and I'm not doing that.

Complete $2700
Less Shimano groupset, but including everything else, wheels, cockpit, etc.
$2300

Will consider frame only, but prefer to sell complete

Prices do not including shipping or fees. Located in Charlottesville, VA
and happy to deal locally.

Contact me by email - dlbr...@gmail.com

Full image gallery here: https://imgur.com/a/axZDK
Philip Williamson <philip.w...@gmail.com>: Mar 15 10:26PM -0700

Probably a stiffer disc fork would have to be longer to give the same axle
movement, to take the edge off bumps. I doubt any rigid fork can absorb the
shocks that a shock fork can. In fact, that seems self-evident.
Not a mathematician or an engineer.

Philip
Santa Rosa today, Redlands tomorrow.

On Wednesday, March 14, 2018 at 6:01:02 PM UTC-7, Deacon Patrick wrote:
frank_a <fk...@aol.com>: Mar 15 07:58PM -0700

Mike,
400mm...tape end hooked on a pencil in the dropouts to the crown race.
- Frank

Bill Lindsay

Mar 16, 2018, 1:50:09 PM3/16/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
True golden asked whether I cut the steer tube.

I did cut the steer tube down. I removed about 75mm or roughly 3 inches.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito Ca

in Dallas nick

Mar 17, 2018, 7:07:20 PM3/17/18