Accesați primul mesaj necitit

Jonathan D.

necitită,
25 mai 2018, 10:02:2625.05.2018
– RBW Owners Bunch
I notice a strong correlation to those who love Riv Bikes, for a love of coffee. On instagram I see a lot of coffee brewing bike kits for when folks are out on their bikes. I am curious to know what people use. If you have a coffee bike kit, would you share what you take with you?

Birdman

necitită,
25 mai 2018, 10:36:5625.05.2018
– RBW Owners Bunch
I bought an aeropress a few years ago for bike camping and it quickly became my everyday coffeemaker. It makes a truly excellent cup of coffee with plenty of tips and resources on the internets (including aeropress competitions). It’s also fairly compact, very easy to clean, and you can carry a bag of grounds/beans in the handle. The only downside is that it makes one delicious cup at a time. Highly recommended.

Isaac
PDX

Birdman

necitită,
25 mai 2018, 10:38:1225.05.2018
– RBW Owners Bunch
...in fact, I’m enjoying a mug of bulletproof aeropress coffee right now

Reed Kennedy

necitită,
25 mai 2018, 10:38:2025.05.2018
– RBW Owners Bunch
Allow me to share with you my wonderful, boring secret.

A thermos.

Wait! Don't go! Hear me out.

To make coffee while out on the bike, you need a lotta stuff. Stove to heat the water. Fuel for the stove. Pot to hold the water. Coffee, maybe a grinder. Filter. Vessel to receive the coffee. Probably water. Maybe more, if you wanna get fancy or put stuff in the coffee. Even if you go super minimalist with a Jetboil or the like, that's a bunch of stuff (and a reasonable amount of complexity and weight.)

I make the coffee at home, season it to taste, put it straight in to a high quality thermos, and seal it up. Generally it's too hot to drink for the first hour or two, and just right a couple to a few hours in to the ride.

Thus the procedure is:
  • Find a beautiful place to stop.
  • Stop there.
  • Unscrew lid.
  • Enjoy coffee.
Cheating? Perhaps. Useful for camping? No. But it sure works for me, even on longer bike rides. I just refill when I ride through any town with a cafe!

Reed

On Fri, May 25, 2018 at 7:02 AM, Jonathan D. <jdone...@gmail.com> wrote:
I notice a strong correlation to those who love Riv Bikes, for a love of coffee. On instagram I see a lot of coffee brewing bike kits for when folks are out on their bikes. I am curious to know what people use. If you have a coffee bike kit, would you share what you take with you?

Tom Wyland

necitită,
25 mai 2018, 10:39:0625.05.2018
– RBW Owners Bunch
Triangia Stove with Westwind pot holder
Old aluminum cooking pot to heat water
Sea to Summit xbrew folding pour-over (would probably use one of the folding metal types if I had to do this again)
Klean Canteen or other insulated coffee container --bonus points if it has a cap and fits in a water bottle cage

I don't have a hand grinder.  I grind it at home.

Tom

Virgil Staphbeard

necitită,
25 mai 2018, 10:54:0225.05.2018
– RBW Owners Bunch
I use an aeropress as well. I also have a reusable drip filter with 'legs' that clip onto a cup if i'm trying to go lighter.

We have a group that meets pretty much every Sat. or Sun. morning via bike and brews coffee.

Scott Blouke

necitită,
25 mai 2018, 11:46:5125.05.2018
– RBW Owners Bunch
I begin to say be careful of this rabbit hole then remember I am on the RWB board...
Some days I totally agree with Reed and use a Kleen Kanteen 20oz wide w/ the cafe lid.
It fits in an iris cage and the lid comes apart to clean.

Then I also have make coffee kit. That started with and changed as I added/upgraded/gifted things.

Imusa aluminum mug for boiling water
DIY alcohol stove/wind screen
Random plastic mug for drinking
Melita pour over
Of course there are all the little things that go alone with the kit like a handkerchief matches/lighter/garbage ziplock,  what ever else you think up.

I added along the way
an Aeropress and a titanium pot
generic burr hand grinder when I feel fancy

Upgraded to a GSI infinity mug, its light and somewhat insulated
Got a BRS-3000T stove because of a trip w/ alcohol stove bans and it comes along sometimes.

I would like the helix pour over since it goes flat.

With the Aeropress you want to make sure your cup is sturdy and the mouth is wide enough but not too wide for the rim.
I also agree with Birdman the Aeropress makes an easy consistently good cup of coffee and I am using at home probably more than on the bike.

Brett Callahan

necitită,
25 mai 2018, 12:22:5325.05.2018
– RBW Owners Bunch
I'm part of a group in Portland that meets every Friday at 7AM for Coffee before work. We're on Instagram under the handle pdxcoffeeoutside.

It's a chance to see lots of interesting kits (& bikes!!). The aeropress extremely popular. I use a Porlex portable grinder, JetBoil, and MSR reusable filter with a ceramic mug. Lots of overlap from the backpacking supplies I occasionally use.

I don't think bringing coffee along in a mug is cheating, but to me it isn't the full experience. I enjoy finding a comfortable place to make coffee, laying out my gear, and taking my time in brewing a good cup. It's a slow, enjoyable ritual.

Best,
Brett in PDX

On Friday, May 25, 2018 at 7:02:26 AM UTC-7, Jonathan D. wrote:

Justin, Oakland

necitită,
25 mai 2018, 12:43:3925.05.2018
– RBW Owners Bunch
My wife got me a Wacaco Minipresso. I love it. I make nearly real ass espresso by pumping like a bicycle pump.

Just a nice addition to the already wonderful aero press and helix pourover

-J

Deacon Patrick

necitită,
25 mai 2018, 14:10:0625.05.2018
– RBW Owners Bunch
I’m with Reed. Thermos. Well, Kleen Kanteen insulated. Nine months of the year, hot coffee, easily brewed via french press after ome roasting. 3 months of the year, cold brew coffee. Cream. Yum. Easy. No fuss. Focus on being out, writing, and piping.

With abandon,
Patrick

Kellie

necitită,
25 mai 2018, 14:42:2725.05.2018
– RBW Owners Bunch
Here's some shots of our Coffee Outside group. Something sweet about brewing your own outside.

On Friday, May 25, 2018 at 7:02:26 AM UTC-7, Jonathan D. wrote:

phil k

necitită,
25 mai 2018, 15:05:3125.05.2018
– RBW Owners Bunch
Jonathan, my fiance got an aeropress for her birthday about few months ago. We drink our morning coffee from it ever since. I used to drink a french press or chemix, but I like the aeropress - it brings out the deep flavor while still drinking smooth. I mostly use the french press for cold brew these days.

I enjoy making the coffee, but tend to put mine in a thermos and drink it when I get to a nice break area, It's surprising how much stuff you need to bring to make a cup of coffee. These days I'd rather spend my time sitting and enjoying the view than worrying about wind extinguishing my fire.

On Friday, May 25, 2018 at 10:02:26 AM UTC-4, Jonathan D. wrote:

Garth

necitită,
25 mai 2018, 15:07:0725.05.2018
– RBW Owners Bunch
Hmm .... a thermos sounds good !   Making it on the spot outdoors sounds good !

Good and good .... how about that !  It's all good all the time !

  C O F F E E      mmmmmmmmmmmmm  grrrrrrrrrrreat  !

Toshi Takeuchi

necitită,
25 mai 2018, 15:14:4225.05.2018
– rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I use a Porlex grinder and French Press when I'm camping.  Depending upon how many I'm making for, sometimes I'll pregrind before camping and go with a larger press.  If it's just me or my wife and I, then I'll grind for myself and use a small French Press.

Toshi

adam leibow

necitită,
25 mai 2018, 16:02:2025.05.2018
– RBW Owners Bunch
i bring an aeropress, hand grinder, filters, a strong titanium mug to press into, water, jetboil stove+fuel, and a scale. i know it sounds like a lot, but it's fun and not that big a deal if you're not on a multi day tour. do a 1:15 coffee-to-water ratio. boil the water but let it sit with the lid off for ~1 min to drop ~10° (boiling is too hot unless you're at ~5K elevation, then it's just right).

On Friday, May 25, 2018 at 7:02:26 AM UTC-7, Jonathan D. wrote:

Garth

necitită,
25 mai 2018, 17:10:2925.05.2018
– RBW Owners Bunch
While I don't drink n drive with coffee , I do like to make it outside at home with single burner propane stove and a Bialetti Moka pot.  Nice darky dark French Roasted coffee ground with a Lido grinder by Orphan Espresso.  Not for portable use as it weighs something like 2-1/4 pounds, yes pounds. It's my morning pumping iron routine ;-)

Everything tastes different cooked outside .

hugh flynn

necitită,
25 mai 2018, 17:35:0725.05.2018
– rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I’m much more of a hethen than most here. Grind at home, msr stove, tin cup for boiling water, collapsible cone, and pour over into a lightweight mug.

Good enough.

Hugh “slacker” Flynn
Newburyport, MA

On Fri, May 25, 2018 at 5:10 PM Garth <gart...@gmail.com> wrote:
While I don't drink n drive with coffee , I do like to make it outside at home with single burner propane stove and a Bialetti Moka pot.  Nice darky dark French Roasted coffee ground with a Lido grinder by Orphan Espresso.  Not for portable use as it weighs something like 2-1/4 pounds, yes pounds. It's my morning pumping iron routine ;-)

Everything tastes different cooked outside .

Hugh Flynn
Newburyport, MA
Mesajul a fost șters

redsydude

necitită,
25 mai 2018, 19:52:0625.05.2018
– RBW Owners Bunch
What river is that?  What's the weir for? Thanks.

John Rinker

necitită,
25 mai 2018, 20:57:5425.05.2018
– RBW Owners Bunch
Jonathan, That's no coincidence you've come across, my friend. Riding a bike requires fuel and burning that fuel requires a delicious catalyst: coffee. I love the full sensory experience of making coffee so I go with:

Fresh, fresh beans! Preferrably dark roast
Fresh, clean water
Aeropress
Porlex grinder (Gotta have fresh ground beans!)
Snowpeak cup
Evernew Ti stove
Homemade dopp kit in which to carry it all

Happy brewing!

Cheers, John

On Friday, May 25, 2018 at 7:02:26 AM UTC-7, Jonathan D. wrote:

Virgil Staphbeard

necitită,
26 mai 2018, 17:55:2526.05.2018
– RBW Owners Bunch
@redsydude That's the White River in Indianapolis. I'm not sure what the weir/low head dam is for. I'm assuming it's to raise the hydraulic head of the river considering it's right in the city.

Craig Montgomery

necitită,
27 mai 2018, 13:26:2627.05.2018
– RBW Owners Bunch
Old school. Bring water to boil. Turn off stove. Throw in coffee. Sit for a couple of minutes. If you have eggshells, throw them and then sprinkle with cold water to help settle grounds. Now you have a choice. Traditionally I would pour through a bandanna, preferably one I have been wearing for a few days. But I found at a local grocery store a sifter/sieve, fine screen, 3 inch diameter with handle for 3 bucks. Works great. Bailey's or Jamieson to taste. Cigar.

Craig in Tucson

On Friday, May 25, 2018 at 7:02:26 AM UTC-7, Jonathan D. wrote:

Pondero

necitită,
30 mai 2018, 14:08:3530.05.2018
– RBW Owners Bunch
I'll preface my remarks by saying that I enjoy the brew-up process as much as the coffee itself.

I like variety.  So I rotate among 4 options; Soto Helix pour-over cone, AeroPress, Bialetti Moka Express, and GSI Mini Espresso maker.  When bikepacking and trying to minimize my kit, the Soto Helix usually is my choice.   If I had to pick one tool for all my life applications, it would be the AeroPress.

Sometimes I bring pre-ground coffee, but I have a Porlex hand grinder that I bring along is weight/space is not a concern (often for me).

I use a simple Trangia alcohol stove for my heat source.

Most of my rides include a coffee stop somewhere.  So I'm one of those with a particular interest in this bicycle/coffee overlap.

Enjoy...

Chris Johnson
Sanger, Texas

Jonathan D.

necitită,
31 mai 2018, 15:29:2331.05.2018
– RBW Owners Bunch
Thank you everyone. I love the suggestions. As a kid we just used an old camping stove with ground Peet’s coffee and would always take a siesta during a day hike. For backpacking I switched to starbucks Via now for simplicity. I do love the ritual of making coffee but will also just pack a thermos.

For traveling we always use our our over filter from Coava coffee, or Able Company. Using what I have to make morning coffee in Hawaii now.
https://instagram.com/p/BjYO4_SBTpE/
Răspundeți tuturor
Răspundeți autorului
Redirecționați