Spouse friendly bike shops in Seattle?

iCloud

Oct 6, 2017, 12:04:27 AM10/6/17
to 'Peter Bridge, San Diego' via internet-bob, RBW Owners Bunch, 'Mike Schiller' via 650b
Hey folks-
Taking a 3 day trip to Seattle with my pregnant wife for the 3 day weekend. What are the shops I can take her to without getting skinned alive?

-Justin, due in December.

Eamon Nordquist

Oct 6, 2017, 12:45:30 AM10/6/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I don't know what you mean by spouse friendly, but my favorite shops are Free Range Cycles (in Fremont), Counterbalance (near U-village), and I hear good things about Backalley Bike Repair (Pioneer Square?), although I've never been there.

Eamon
Seattle, WA

Eric Norris

Oct 6, 2017, 11:55:59 AM10/6/17
to RBW
My wife enjoyed Recycled Cycles, near the U of W. They’re close to the water and have a cool, funky vibe. They sell used stuff for cheap (bins full of brakes, cranks, pedals, etc.), so it’s possible to get out of there without spending a fortune.

--Eric Norris
campyo...@me.com
@CampyOnlyguy (Twitter/Instagram)

gordo

Oct 6, 2017, 2:25:03 PM10/6/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
+1 for Free Range Cycles.  I took my wife there a few years ago and combined the visit with a tour/sampling of the Theo Chocolate factory (down the street).

Eric in SF

Bill Lindsay

Oct 6, 2017, 2:26:11 PM10/6/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Justin

I'm having a hard time following what you mean by the phrase "without getting skinned alive".  What shop experience are you trying to avoid?  Are there shops in Seattle that are habitually mean to pregnant women?  Are you worried about taking her to shops that she won't like and she'll 'skin you alive' because they are not interesting enough?  Does 'skinned alive' mean price gouging for some product or service?  It doesn't sound good, whatever it is, so I hope maybe we can know the Seattle shops where you will be skinned alive so I can avoid those.

Bill 'what's it all mean?' Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

Deacon Patrick

Oct 6, 2017, 2:36:53 PM10/6/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I was at a steakhouse with a friend who ordered "flay mine own." Suffice to say, I have never ordered that myself. Sardonic grin.

With abandon,
Patrick

Justin, Oakland

Oct 6, 2017, 7:17:21 PM10/6/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I meant more along the lines of “A shop that’s enjoyable to be in regardless of affinity for bikes which my wife has but is also 7 months pregnant and we are on our last vacation before acquiring said baby so things should be fun for both of us.”

The skinning would be of me. Not of her. I hope at least.

Lots of good suggestions from all the lists. Thanks folks!

-Justin, on Bart between SF and South City en route to the airport.

Stuart Lovinggood

Oct 7, 2017, 1:18:13 AM10/7/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Métier is a pro shop on Union south of Capitol Hill. Not a Riv-ish place but it has a coffee shop/bar in-house. Cool warehouse space with spacebikes to match. Across the street is Bar Museline, which was our favorite stop in town.