For Sale/Trade Response Reminder

Cyclofiend Jim

Sep 11, 2015, 10:30:39 AM9/11/15
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hey there -

Just as a quick reminder:

If you are responding to a FS/FT/WTB/WTT post (for the acronym-challenged, that's For Sale, For Trade, Wanted to Buy and Wanted to Trade...) please do so directly to the seller/buyer/wanter.

There has been a noticeable increase on folks replying to the group at large or seemingly replying directly to the poster _AND_ posting to the list that they'd PM'd or contacted them via the (PREFERRED) back-channel method.

The reason for this is to limit the  traffic on transactional posts.  While I like the ease with which this list allows RBW-interested parties to connect, I think it's important not to devolve into a swap meet.

Also - if the only posts you have made are in relation to buy/sell/trade (whether you are the individual posting or responding), I generally do not change moderation status.

Hmmmm.... that sounded kind of grumpy. Which I'm not.  But there has been an increase of late with newer members asking why their FS-etc. posts or responses aren't immediately appearing, so I thought it was worth a note.

- Jim

cyclofiend.com / group admin

Cyclofiend Jim

Sep 10, 2017, 11:04:23 AM9/10/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
REMINDER -

It's probably been a while since I posted an explicit reminder to the group, but when replying to FS/FT/WTB/WTT/etc. posts, you should contact the poster directly. That prevents accidental sharing of personal information to the group at large.  This is a publicly searchable/viewable group, so if someone posts a phone number, address and says something like "but we're going to be out of town for the next two days", there are bad people who might take advantage of that.  I know you wouldn't do that, but I'd hate to tell you how many moderated posts contain information which I'd regard as too personal for public consumption.

If you contact the poster directly, that also spares everyone else the process of having to ignore that thread.  Some folks still do track this group through email.

Yes. People should indicate when something is sold.
Yes. People should indicate when something is sold.
Yes. People should indicate when something is sold.
Yes. People should indicate when something is sold.

I'm thinking people should indicate when something is sold. Editing the post subject would be good.  Kinda like leaving your campsite a bit cleaner than how you found it.

If they could delete the thread, even better.

Just a little reminder/housekeeping on this fine and beautiful day.

- Jim

Jim Edgar / cyclofiend
This conversation is locked