Schwalbe Big One on Appaloosa

Ray Varella

Aug 24, 2016, 12:57:52 AM8/24/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Is anyone running these tires on their Joe Appaloosa?

Curious to know if they fit?

Thank you,
Ray
Vallejo CA

William R.

Aug 24, 2016, 4:48:54 AM8/24/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I often wonder about these too. And Super Moto's. As it is I am running 54 Thunderburts on my Joe. A heavily used (stretched out) one on the stock build rim measures 52.3mm and doesn't have a ton of clearance. Enough. But I am thinking Big Ones or SMs would be tight indeed. I still wonder what the nominal width of these tires on these rims is. Also wonder about the size gap in Schwalbes high performance slick/semi slick tire lines. Why not 48 and 54 Kojaks, Motos and/or Big Ones? Just one of those in those sizes would be awesome!

Bill in Westchester, NY

Garth

Aug 24, 2016, 7:03:30 AM8/24/16
to RBW Owners Bunch

from here: http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/mtb-reviews/schwalbe-big-one-2016

Size and Weight Measurements

Size and Weight Measurements (Bike Wheel: 622-17C, Pressure: 35 psi / 2.4 bar)
Measured Weight458 grams
Measured Width Carcass57 mm
Measured Width Tread57 mm
Measured Height54 mm
Measured Knob Height Center0.5 mm
Measured Knob Height Edge0.5 mm
Measured Total Thickness Sidewall0.50 mm
Measured Total Thickness Center (excluding knobs)1.10 mm

Bill M.

Aug 24, 2016, 9:17:00 AM8/24/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
BIg Ones are made for a very defined purpose - beach racing.  I would not expect Schwalbe to make a narrower version, that does not fit the intent of the tire.  Those of us running them on the street are like doctors prescribing drugs off-label, it may work but it's not the intended use.

Bill
Stockton, CA

David Banzer

Aug 24, 2016, 9:18:10 AM8/24/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I had the 700c version, liteskin, and they measured 57mm on 25mm external width rims. With a wider rim, they'd likely measure closer to 60mm. I fit them on my Clem just fine - I ended up switching for Furious Freds as I added a front child seat and the extra height from the tires made me a little uncomfortable trying to get a toe down while on the saddle to stop/start.
I'd highly recommend the Thunderburts or Furious Freds. Furious Freds are pretty darn close to a road tire, knobs are really minimally.
David
Chicago

Ray Varella

Aug 25, 2016, 2:26:16 AM8/25/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Bill in Stockton, what model of bike are you running them on?

David, does the Clem have similar clearance to the Appaloosa?

Ray
Vallejo Ca

David Banzer

Aug 25, 2016, 8:34:23 AM8/25/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Clem has more clearance. Advertised as fitting 60mm tires plus fenders. It was a tighter fit with fenders up front, but I did run Big Ones under SKS fenders at one point.
David
Chicago

Bill M.

Aug 25, 2016, 8:19:52 PM8/25/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I ran them on a Rawland rSogn, but they will next be mounted on a Clem.  I took delivery of a green 52 frameset a couple of weeks ago, pictures to come one of these days.

Bill